Re: [LINUX_Newbies] NEWBIE with first question

  • c beck
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 23, 2012
      On Dec 22, 2012 11:34 AM, "J" <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

      > It may not. Precise was an LTS release and typically, the defaults
      > for update-manager are to only show LTS updates when available, so
      > Spohie would only see an update notice for 14.04.

      Is this a new feature in 12.04? I stopped recommending and installing
      ubuntu for people because it was all but begging to upgrade from 10.04. It
      simply blew my mind, and not in a good way.

      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 10, 2013
        Do Okt 10 14:18:36 2013
        Good afternoon!
        Thank You for email and help.

        Well if Xubuntu works anything like Debian you have to edit the file:

        /etc/apt/sources.list
        *
        Is this the most easy way?

        Find all of the instances of the old version you want to switch from and
        change them to the new version you want to switch to, and save that.
        Then do an aptitude update and after that aptitude full-upgrade

        I don't use apt-get myself as it is depreciated in favor of aptitude
        today in Debian. Apt-get still kind of works, but it is just old junk today.

        Although there sometimes are other steps you need to take first. It
        depends what you're upgrading from. Sometimes there are specific
        packages you have to upgrade first, before you upgrade the whole system.
        So you are best off following specific instructions that pertain to the
        distribution, and version you are currently running.

        Unfortunately with Xubuntu the upgrade page is a 404

        http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/

        http://i.imgur.com/YygQP3b.png

        So that is kind of junky.

        You are upgrading BTW, not updating. It is a bit different.
        *
        Thank You for help.