Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Update Pangolin-Quantal

    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 23, 2012
      Good evening
      So Dez 23 16:39:10 2012

      On Dec 22, 2012 10:07 AM, "highskywhy@..." <highskywhy@...> wrote:

      > type "cat /etc/lsb-release" to see also the "name" of the distribution.
      > *
      > This is the result:
      > Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l
      > +
      > DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
      > DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
      > DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
      > DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"

      Ik, so you are updated to precise pangolin.
      *
      Thank You for help.
      I did install Ocelot and during install
      the software asked: Do You like Pangolin
      so from the beginning I was using Pangolin.
      Is this a problem?
      How are the upgrades running in Linux?
      I expected: Every 6 months I have to update:
      Hardy..Ocelot..Pangolin...Quantal.. or is this wrong?

      > What is the difference "cat /etc/issuecat" and "less /etc/issue"

      Cat will dump everything to your screen at once. Fine for small files,
      but of little use for large ones. Less only displays one screen or
      specified nber of lines at a time, and let's you move backward and
      forward in a file easily. Type "man less" to see more details of the
      less command.
      *
      So "cat" does show the contence of a file? Isnt it?

      > The last tool I could find in www.
      > Is less the end of the file?

      No, but you could start it that way I think...
      *
      I did it "cat /etc/issuecat" and it said: I am still using Pangolin.

      >Snip>

      > > ((Should I delete old emails and only > send the new question for
      saving space))
      > You should remove unnecessary information from your posts. But you
      > should not delete everything, as that makes it very difficult for
      > someone to know what you are talking about or responding too. Also,
      > this is a bottom posting group, meaning you should always put your
      > replies under the previous email like I have been doing here. Thanks!
      > *
      > Is it ok, I am writing between Your words?

      Yep! That's great.
      *
      Thank You. This is a very friendly community.
      I do my best to be polite.

      > *
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies
      > Is this the link for reading the emails online?

      Looks right. I usually work from email. I'd have to check. You can
      always get there from your yahoo groups Page.
      *
      I am just asking.Because very often I am or we are travelling around so
      maybe I am visiting my neighbor for asking something and so there I can
      read the posts.
      Outside my home.

      > *
      > Is it right:It is better to use the terminal then to use the GUI?
      It is just a matter of preference. In some cases, the terminal is more
      flexible than the gui...
      *
      Is this right:The advance of the terminal is, You can see a list of
      mistakes?
      _cheers!

      Regards Sophie
      Thank You.
      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 10, 2013
        Do Okt 10 14:18:36 2013
        Good afternoon!
        Thank You for email and help.

        Well if Xubuntu works anything like Debian you have to edit the file:

        /etc/apt/sources.list
        *
        Is this the most easy way?

        Find all of the instances of the old version you want to switch from and
        change them to the new version you want to switch to, and save that.
        Then do an aptitude update and after that aptitude full-upgrade

        I don't use apt-get myself as it is depreciated in favor of aptitude
        today in Debian. Apt-get still kind of works, but it is just old junk today.

        Although there sometimes are other steps you need to take first. It
        depends what you're upgrading from. Sometimes there are specific
        packages you have to upgrade first, before you upgrade the whole system.
        So you are best off following specific instructions that pertain to the
        distribution, and version you are currently running.

        Unfortunately with Xubuntu the upgrade page is a 404

        http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/

        http://i.imgur.com/YygQP3b.png

        So that is kind of junky.

        You are upgrading BTW, not updating. It is a bit different.
        *
        Thank You for help.