Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Update Pangolin-Quantal

    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 22, 2012
      Sa Dez 22 16:54:02 2012
      Good evening
      Thank You for Your help.
      I am adding my questions:

      On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 5:39 AM, highskywhy@...
      <highskywhy@...> wrote:
      > Fr Dez 21 12:38:21 2012 Good morning. Thank You for help. I did "The
      > update manager GUI will offer you 12.10 Xubuntu" Because I am using
      > German language I could only find:"Aktualisierungen." I did it. But my
      > feeling ism this is still Pangolin.

      open a terminal and type without the quotes "cat /etc/issue" to return
      numerical version id
      type "cat /etc/lsb-release" to see also the "name" of the distribution.
      *
      This is the result:
      Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l
      +
      DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
      DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
      DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
      DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"
      What is the difference "cat /etc/issuecat" and "less /etc/issue"
      The last tool I could find in www.
      Is less the end of the file?
      > Another question, I do this once a week, is this ok or should I do
      more:"sudo rm
      > /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf sudo apt-get clean sudo apt-get update
      > --fix-missing
      I don't see any reason to do more. I don't know why you would really
      want to remove the list every week anyway. the update command is
      designed to take care of that.
      *
      Thank You for the question.
      I did install Xubuntu. Fine. One month later "update" and package
      manager and softwaremanager were destroyed.
      So I could find in the www:
      "rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf sudo apt-get clean sudo apt-get update"
      Now update and package and softwaremanager are ok.
      I do not know why, but I did it.
      I think or I suggest, something is bringing dirt on my Linux.
      Then I was adding fix-missing because sometimes the update is not
      running well.
      I am using Xubuntu xfce and up I could see a red warning.
      rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf did clean the warning.
      > ((Should I delete old emails and only > send the new question for
      saving space))
      You should remove unnecessary information from your posts. But you
      should not delete everything, as that makes it very difficult for
      someone to know what you are talking about or responding too. Also,
      this is a bottom posting group, meaning you should always put your
      replies under the previous email like I have been doing here. Thanks!
      *
      Is it ok, I am writing between Your words?
      *
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies
      Is this the link for reading the emails online?
      *
      Is it right:It is better to use the terminal then to use the GUI?
      Regards Sophie

      Thank You.
      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 10, 2013
        Do Okt 10 14:18:36 2013
        Good afternoon!
        Thank You for email and help.

        Well if Xubuntu works anything like Debian you have to edit the file:

        /etc/apt/sources.list
        *
        Is this the most easy way?

        Find all of the instances of the old version you want to switch from and
        change them to the new version you want to switch to, and save that.
        Then do an aptitude update and after that aptitude full-upgrade

        I don't use apt-get myself as it is depreciated in favor of aptitude
        today in Debian. Apt-get still kind of works, but it is just old junk today.

        Although there sometimes are other steps you need to take first. It
        depends what you're upgrading from. Sometimes there are specific
        packages you have to upgrade first, before you upgrade the whole system.
        So you are best off following specific instructions that pertain to the
        distribution, and version you are currently running.

        Unfortunately with Xubuntu the upgrade page is a 404

        http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/

        http://i.imgur.com/YygQP3b.png

        So that is kind of junky.

        You are upgrading BTW, not updating. It is a bit different.
        *
        Thank You for help.