Re: Atheros and Linux

  • Arturo
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 30, 2012
      It was a lot of work, more than a year trying, but there were 3 threads, in ubuntuforums, that resume everything (the links in the blog mentioned previously). This worked for more than a year, until finally Ubuntu worked OTB for this driver.

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:

      > This sounds like a lot of work to get a driver. How can you get
      > build-essential or a driver without either a working wired or wireless
      > connection? I have never heard of this situation with Ubuntu (only Debian
      > with its stripped kernel).
      >
      > I think that something else is wrong because wired works OTB in Ubuntu in
      > just about every case and Atheros is fairly common and should be supported
      > in the kernel. If it was me then I would try the live disk again. Try a web
      > browser in both wired and wireless networking. If the connection works then
      > it should work when installed and something went amiss in the installation.
      > Then I would do a fresh install. I would also consider using the newer
      > Ubuntu 12.10 or Mint 14 unless you need LTS.
      >
      > Roy
      > Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
      > Location: Canada
      >

      > On 29 November 2012 11:02, Arturo <dr_ovalle@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > My bad. Is not "essentials" is "essential"
      > >
      > > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
      > > build-essential
      > >
      > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo" <dr_ovalle@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Read this post, is mine, I can translate it for you, but Google
      > > translator does a decent job, I'm a little short of time, but I will gladly
      > > translate it for you if you want:
      > > >
      > > > http://experimentolinux.blogspot.mx/2007/09/ubuntu-704-i386.html
      > > >
      > > > Where it says:
      > > > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
      > > build-essent
      > > > it is an error, it has to say:
      > > > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
      > > build-essentials
      > > >
      > > > I will recommend to use Copy and Paste to avoid errors.
      > > >
      > > > I hope it works for you.

      > > network specifications? Here are the specifications:

      > > both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to do this,
      > > I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one OS or the
      > > other?

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 2, 2012
        Thanks Roy and Paul, My mistake was just that - my mistake.

        I had loaded 12.04 on disk and then onto my computer, but it did not work. Everyone said it should connect easily. I didn't understand why I could not get it to work. Then I discovered my mistake. I installed 10.04 instead of 12.04. So I feel very bad for causing such consternation. Thanks for helping.

        My next message should be from a Linux Ubuntu 12.04/.10 connection.

        Jim in Ohio

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 2, 2012
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jverhovec@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Roy and Paul, My mistake was just that - my mistake.
          >
          > I had loaded 12.04 on disk and then onto my computer, but it did not work. Everyone said it should connect easily. I didn't understand why I could not get it to work. Then I discovered my mistake. I installed 10.04 instead of 12.04. So I feel very bad for causing such consternation. Thanks for helping.
          >
          > My next message should be from a Linux Ubuntu 12.04/.10 connection.

          I learn the most when things go wrong. You may too.
        • Roy
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
            Great news. Let us know when it is working to your satisfaction. And do not
            hesitate to ask for help or give it as you feel that you have something to
            share. Experience is the best teacher.

            Roy
            Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
            Location: Canada

            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
              Thanks Roy, A lot had changed with Ubuntu since I last used it. I will wallow around and try to learn the new processes.

              I am sending this message from my Linux Ubuntu OS. I think it is still a lot better than Windows. Now it seems that Linux is able to use many of the same files as Windows. That was my hold-up. Trying to run Windows apps on a Linux OS. Many would work fine, but my banking software needed NFTS and Linux didn't have a good system to use for finances back then.

              If I have problems, I will contact this group again. Thank you.

              Jim in Ohio

              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                Ubuntu has changed. A lot!

                It is now integrates Compiz as the window manager when before it was
                an alternative window manager. Now it uses Unity as its desktop environment
                and the old one GNOME 2 is no longer being developed. Behind the scenes it
                uses GNOME 3 and most of its applications, but those too have changed
                because they are written in GTK3 and GNOME is on a quest (like Ubuntu) to
                transform the desktop.

                Menus are almost passe in many desktops, including Windows 8. You car add a
                menu to Unity and change many of its features, such as move the window
                controls to the right or remove the global menu and overlay scroll bars. Or
                you can try to get familiar with it and use it as it is.

                This is a good place to start:
                http://files.ubuntu-manual.org/manuals/getting-started-with-ubuntu/12.10/en_US/screen/Getting%20Started%20with%20Ubuntu%2012.10.pdf

                http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Quantal

                Customizing::
                http://blog.sudobits.com/2012/10/10/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-12-10/

                http://maketecheasier.com/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-12-10/2012/10/12

                http://www.julianfernandes.com/after-install-ubuntu-12-10.html

                http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-12-10-aka-quantal-quetzal/

                http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/how-to-get-classic-start-menu-with-unity-launcher-ubuntu/

                http://askubuntu.com/questions/174292/how-can-i-move-all-the-window-controls-to-the-right

                http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/unsettings-tool-to-disable-global-menu.html

                I would not install Oracle Java unless you really need it. I have had
                problems with getting it installed and Java works just fine with Iced Tea
                that comes with Ubuntu. Use discretion and ask if you are worried. Go to
                http://askubuntu.com/ and search there if you need good information.

                Roy
                Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
                Location: Canada