Re: Atheros and Linux

  • Arturo
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 28, 2012
      Sorry I haven't contributed yet. I've been very busy. I have a little kid that demands a lot of attention.
      Here it is. I have the same problem with Atheros card, using Linux. I wrote how to make it work (in spanish). But the instructions are the same.
      It has the references too. But I had to do a mix of everything to make it work.

      http://experimentolinux.blogspot.mx/2007/09/ubuntu-704-i386.html

      I hope it works for you. I made it to work in Ubuntu, in Sabayon and in OpenSuSe.

      If you have problems to understand, I will gladly translate it.

      Cheers.

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jverhovec@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the response.
      > >
      > > Yes - I plugged an Ethernet directly into the computer from a router. I recycled the computer more than once. In my terminal, I used /sbin/ifconfig:
      > >
      > > jim@jim-laptop:~$ sudo /sbin/ifconfig
      > > [sudo] password for jim:
      > > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      > > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      > > inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
      > > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      > > RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      > > TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      > > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      > > RX bytes:480 (480.0 B) TX bytes:480 (480.0 B)
      > >
      > > jim@jim-laptop:~$ netstat -nr
      > > Kernel IP routing table
      > > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
      > >
      > > I don't know if this may help.
      >
      > It shows you do not have an eth0 interface. Without that network interface you of course have no gateway access point to the Internet either.
      >
      > Like others have pointed out in the thread you have to get the driver for your hardware and load it before you can bring your network interface up.
      >
      > Everything I've read about that Ethernet Controller suggests you should have the driver now. A couple of years ago you would have had to go out and get it special but now I think it is included?
      >
      > I could swear when I ran a live image of Fedora 17 on an Acer laptop here it just worked. That laptop is out for unrelated hardware repairs now so I cannot verify it again though. I think the HDD died in it. Being as networking just worked in it I didn't look too closely at what it had. When I get that system back I will now though.
      >
      > Maybe you can get Roy to tell you what the module name is and you can try to manually load it?
      >
      > I know how frustrating solving these problems can be but look on the bright side, by the time you've figured it out you'll have learned so much you'll be an expert! Knowing about modules and basic networking comes in handy.
      >
      > BTW one valid troubleshooting technique in Linux is to load up another distribution where stuff just works, see how and why it works, then use that information to make a broken distribution work. When hardware works you can see what the module name being used is etc. UNCLAIMED isn't very helpful. But seeing stuff working can be very enlightening when it comes to troubleshooting. Oh, so that is how it is supposed to work. As opposed to why doesn't it work?
      >
      > Of course doing that can have the side effect of changing distributions. So be careful :)

    • Arturo
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 28, 2012
        Read this post, is mine, I can translate it for you, but Google translator does a decent job, I'm a little short of time, but I will gladly translate it for you if you want:

        http://experimentolinux.blogspot.mx/2007/09/ubuntu-704-i386.html

        Where it says:
        sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essent
        it is an error, it has to say:
        sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essentials

        I will recommend to use Copy and Paste to avoid errors.

        I hope it works for you.

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jverhovec@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have information about an Acer computer with Atheros network specifications? Here are the specifications:
        >
        > - I am using a Acer Aspire 5349-2899 laptop
        > - Intel B815
        > - Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n
        > - Ethernet controller AR5B125
        > - Atheros driver v1.0.0.43
        > - IPv4 Address 192.168.2.3
        > - Default Gateway / DHCP server 192.168.2.1
        > - IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
        >
        > I use this chipset on my Windows 7 based computer. When I try to run both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to do this, I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one OS or the other?
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Jim

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 28, 2012
          Thanks Paul - I took my computer into a local shop for a look-see. He noted some missing drivers and tried to upload a new driver. When he got busier and we couldn't easily upload the new driver, I left his shop so he could work with his paying costumers.

          Rob did tell me that he had luck with another distro, too. So I can try that, I guess. Maybe I can get one to work. I agree, a working system is a whole different ballgame.

          Thanks and I will keep on trying.

          Jim in Ohio

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 29, 2012
            My bad. Is not "essentials" is "essential"

            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo" <dr_ovalle@...> wrote:

            > Read this post, is mine, I can translate it for you, but Google translator does a decent job, I'm a little short of time, but I will gladly translate it for you if you want:
            >
            > http://experimentolinux.blogspot.mx/2007/09/ubuntu-704-i386.html
            >
            > Where it says:
            > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essent
            > it is an error, it has to say:
            > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essentials
            >
            > I will recommend to use Copy and Paste to avoid errors.
            >
            > I hope it works for you.
            >

            > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jverhovec@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone have information about an Acer computer with Atheros network specifications? Here are the specifications:
            > >
            > > - I am using a Acer Aspire 5349-2899 laptop
            > > - Intel B815
            > > - Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n
            > > - Ethernet controller AR5B125
            > > - Atheros driver v1.0.0.43
            > > - IPv4 Address 192.168.2.3
            > > - Default Gateway / DHCP server 192.168.2.1
            > > - IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
            > >
            > > I use this chipset on my Windows 7 based computer. When I try to run both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to do this, I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one OS or the other?
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > >
            > > Jim

          • Roy
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 30, 2012
              This sounds like a lot of work to get a driver. How can you get
              build-essential or a driver without either a working wired or wireless
              connection? I have never heard of this situation with Ubuntu (only Debian
              with its stripped kernel).

              I think that something else is wrong because wired works OTB in Ubuntu in
              just about every case and Atheros is fairly common and should be supported
              in the kernel. If it was me then I would try the live disk again. Try a web
              browser in both wired and wireless networking. If the connection works then
              it should work when installed and something went amiss in the installation.
              Then I would do a fresh install. I would also consider using the newer
              Ubuntu 12.10 or Mint 14 unless you need LTS.

              Roy
              Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
              Location: Canada

              On 29 November 2012 11:02, Arturo <dr_ovalle@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > My bad. Is not "essentials" is "essential"
              >
              > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
              > build-essential
              >
              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo" <dr_ovalle@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Read this post, is mine, I can translate it for you, but Google
              > translator does a decent job, I'm a little short of time, but I will gladly
              > translate it for you if you want:
              > >
              > > http://experimentolinux.blogspot.mx/2007/09/ubuntu-704-i386.html
              > >
              > > Where it says:
              > > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
              > build-essent
              > > it is an error, it has to say:
              > > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
              > build-essentials
              > >
              > > I will recommend to use Copy and Paste to avoid errors.
              > >
              > > I hope it works for you.
              > >

              > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jverhovec@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone have information about an Acer computer with Atheros
              > network specifications? Here are the specifications:
              > > >
              > > > - I am using a Acer Aspire 5349-2899 laptop
              > > > - Intel B815
              > > > - Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n
              > > > - Ethernet controller AR5B125
              > > > - Atheros driver v1.0.0.43
              > > > - IPv4 Address 192.168.2.3
              > > > - Default Gateway / DHCP server 192.168.2.1
              > > > - IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
              > > >
              > > > I use this chipset on my Windows 7 based computer. When I try to run
              > both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to do this,
              > I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one OS or the
              > other?
              > > >
              > > > Thank you,
              > > >
              > > > Jim

            • Arturo
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 30, 2012
                It was a lot of work, more than a year trying, but there were 3 threads, in ubuntuforums, that resume everything (the links in the blog mentioned previously). This worked for more than a year, until finally Ubuntu worked OTB for this driver.

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 30, 2012
                  --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:

                  > This sounds like a lot of work to get a driver. How can you get
                  > build-essential or a driver without either a working wired or wireless
                  > connection? I have never heard of this situation with Ubuntu (only Debian
                  > with its stripped kernel).
                  >
                  > I think that something else is wrong because wired works OTB in Ubuntu in
                  > just about every case and Atheros is fairly common and should be supported
                  > in the kernel. If it was me then I would try the live disk again. Try a web
                  > browser in both wired and wireless networking. If the connection works then
                  > it should work when installed and something went amiss in the installation.
                  > Then I would do a fresh install. I would also consider using the newer
                  > Ubuntu 12.10 or Mint 14 unless you need LTS.
                  >
                  > Roy
                  > Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
                  > Location: Canada

                  If it were me I'd bale on that install too. Some struggles aren't worth the effort.
                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 2, 2012
                    Thanks Roy and Paul, My mistake was just that - my mistake.

                    I had loaded 12.04 on disk and then onto my computer, but it did not work. Everyone said it should connect easily. I didn't understand why I could not get it to work. Then I discovered my mistake. I installed 10.04 instead of 12.04. So I feel very bad for causing such consternation. Thanks for helping.

                    My next message should be from a Linux Ubuntu 12.04/.10 connection.

                    Jim in Ohio

                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 2, 2012
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jverhovec@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Roy and Paul, My mistake was just that - my mistake.
                      >
                      > I had loaded 12.04 on disk and then onto my computer, but it did not work. Everyone said it should connect easily. I didn't understand why I could not get it to work. Then I discovered my mistake. I installed 10.04 instead of 12.04. So I feel very bad for causing such consternation. Thanks for helping.
                      >
                      > My next message should be from a Linux Ubuntu 12.04/.10 connection.

                      I learn the most when things go wrong. You may too.
                    • Roy
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
                        Great news. Let us know when it is working to your satisfaction. And do not
                        hesitate to ask for help or give it as you feel that you have something to
                        share. Experience is the best teacher.

                        Roy
                        Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
                        Location: Canada

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
                          Thanks Roy, A lot had changed with Ubuntu since I last used it. I will wallow around and try to learn the new processes.

                          I am sending this message from my Linux Ubuntu OS. I think it is still a lot better than Windows. Now it seems that Linux is able to use many of the same files as Windows. That was my hold-up. Trying to run Windows apps on a Linux OS. Many would work fine, but my banking software needed NFTS and Linux didn't have a good system to use for finances back then.

                          If I have problems, I will contact this group again. Thank you.

                          Jim in Ohio

                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                            Ubuntu has changed. A lot!

                            It is now integrates Compiz as the window manager when before it was
                            an alternative window manager. Now it uses Unity as its desktop environment
                            and the old one GNOME 2 is no longer being developed. Behind the scenes it
                            uses GNOME 3 and most of its applications, but those too have changed
                            because they are written in GTK3 and GNOME is on a quest (like Ubuntu) to
                            transform the desktop.

                            Menus are almost passe in many desktops, including Windows 8. You car add a
                            menu to Unity and change many of its features, such as move the window
                            controls to the right or remove the global menu and overlay scroll bars. Or
                            you can try to get familiar with it and use it as it is.

                            This is a good place to start:
                            http://files.ubuntu-manual.org/manuals/getting-started-with-ubuntu/12.10/en_US/screen/Getting%20Started%20with%20Ubuntu%2012.10.pdf

                            http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Quantal

                            Customizing::
                            http://blog.sudobits.com/2012/10/10/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-12-10/

                            http://maketecheasier.com/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-12-10/2012/10/12

                            http://www.julianfernandes.com/after-install-ubuntu-12-10.html

                            http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-12-10-aka-quantal-quetzal/

                            http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/how-to-get-classic-start-menu-with-unity-launcher-ubuntu/

                            http://askubuntu.com/questions/174292/how-can-i-move-all-the-window-controls-to-the-right

                            http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/unsettings-tool-to-disable-global-menu.html

                            I would not install Oracle Java unless you really need it. I have had
                            problems with getting it installed and Java works just fine with Iced Tea
                            that comes with Ubuntu. Use discretion and ask if you are worried. Go to
                            http://askubuntu.com/ and search there if you need good information.

                            Roy
                            Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
                            Location: Canada