Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Older Laptop & Ubuntu

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 26, 2012
      On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 08:58:24AM -0000, Paul wrote:
      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <dawnyisrael13@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > A BIG thank you for the responses! Some great information. Although I did find the problem. In my excitement when the computer arrived in the mail and I was excited that it worked and everything, I neglected to look and see just what version of everything was running. The computer had evidently been sitting for a few years. I found this out because I went to download something else and I received a message that said upgrade to a more recent version of explorer. Turns out that it still had something like explorer five and for the Windows XP it was still on service pac 2! So, I spent a day upgrading everything on Windows and then Ubuntu loaded up just fine and is now working with a desktop and everything.
      > > Another learning experience for me. Thank you again for all the suggestions. I will keep them for any future reference.
      > >
      > Maybe you can explain to me how Linux depends on Windows? Because I've been running Linux without Windows for quite some time now. I update Windows with fdisk and format. That is just how I roll.

      More likely coincidence--however, if Gabrielle was using Ubuntu's Wubi, it
      might be connected. (Wubi--I think that's its name) is used to install
      Ubuntu as if it were a Windows application.

      Spike: What's Big Blue doing anyway?
      The Judge: I am preparing.
      Spike: It's interesting to me that preparing looks a great bit
      like sitting on your ass.