Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Installing software that you download

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2012
      On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 03:21:28PM -0400, J wrote:

      > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
      > > There is a package in the Ubuntu repositories called build-essential and in
      > > Fedora it may be called "Development Tools" that you will need first. If
      > > you are not using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives then there may be a
      > > similar combination of packages. If not then you will need to install each
      > > one individually.
      >
      > Keep in mind that build-essential will only get you libc6 dev
      > libraries, gcc and g++ and make. You'll still need to install
      > development libs and possibly kernel headers depending on what
      > software you're trying to compile. A gnome program, for instance will
      > most likely need several gnome development libraries in addition to
      > the basics.

      I've always found that in addtion to build-essential, one will want
      linux-headers-$(uname-r)

      This will match your running kernel.

      For Fedora and other RH based systems, development tools has a lot of
      extra things. I usually start with

      yum -y install gcc make automake gcc-c++ kernel-devel

      This will pull in much of what one needs for compiling. What I see
      frequently, on the Fedora forums, is that someone will update their kernel,
      but they won't have rebooted--so the kernel-devel package doesn't match
      their current kernel, and won't until they've rebooted.

      Also, if one has a PAE kernel, and tries to install kernel-devel, it
      installs the wrong one--you have to do yum install kernel-PAE-devel.

      Maggie Walsh: We use the latest in scientific technology
      and state-of-the-art weaponry, and you, if I understand correctly,
      poke them with a sharp stick.