Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Installing software that you download

  • J
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2012
      On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
      > There is a package in the Ubuntu repositories called build-essential and in
      > Fedora it may be called "Development Tools" that you will need first. If
      > you are not using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives then there may be a
      > similar combination of packages. If not then you will need to install each
      > one individually.

      Keep in mind that build-essential will only get you libc6 dev
      libraries, gcc and g++ and make. You'll still need to install
      development libs and possibly kernel headers depending on what
      software you're trying to compile. A gnome program, for instance will
      most likely need several gnome development libraries in addition to
      the basics.

      This may help as well:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 24, 2012
        On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 03:21:28PM -0400, J wrote:

        > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
        > > There is a package in the Ubuntu repositories called build-essential and in
        > > Fedora it may be called "Development Tools" that you will need first. If
        > > you are not using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives then there may be a
        > > similar combination of packages. If not then you will need to install each
        > > one individually.
        >
        > Keep in mind that build-essential will only get you libc6 dev
        > libraries, gcc and g++ and make. You'll still need to install
        > development libs and possibly kernel headers depending on what
        > software you're trying to compile. A gnome program, for instance will
        > most likely need several gnome development libraries in addition to
        > the basics.

        I've always found that in addtion to build-essential, one will want
        linux-headers-$(uname-r)

        This will match your running kernel.

        For Fedora and other RH based systems, development tools has a lot of
        extra things. I usually start with

        yum -y install gcc make automake gcc-c++ kernel-devel

        This will pull in much of what one needs for compiling. What I see
        frequently, on the Fedora forums, is that someone will update their kernel,
        but they won't have rebooted--so the kernel-devel package doesn't match
        their current kernel, and won't until they've rebooted.

        Also, if one has a PAE kernel, and tries to install kernel-devel, it
        installs the wrong one--you have to do yum install kernel-PAE-devel.

        Maggie Walsh: We use the latest in scientific technology
        and state-of-the-art weaponry, and you, if I understand correctly,
        poke them with a sharp stick.