KDE questions

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2012
      Well I pulled out a Dual-Opteron that I had put aside, it's pci-x sata controller went bad...anyway I had forgotten I had put Kubuntu 11.04 on it, at least it had it's original desktop on an IDE/PATA hard drive. I checked and it had one of my favorite games on it, Kshisen. This game has become very slow on recent distros, but alright on my old Kubuntu/Gnome 10.04, it was also fast on this 11.04.

      True on my other desktop towers I use LXDE, although I did test Mint Mate on my Intel Dual-604 Xeon and LXDE, but this Kshisen was still slow, then I had to retire it, its CMOS has become damaged and no longer talks to its PCI slots.

      Any ideas?

      Joan in Reno

    • Joan Leach
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2012
        To update...I put another hard disk in the dual-Opteron and installed the new Kubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit and it had a slow version of the game, too. The Muon Package Manager said something in the notes for it that leads me to believe they know it has problems, but they think games aren't important. That's stupid, coming from the Windows world and DOS before that, games are how most folks start to learn their computers.

        Heck when one of mine or client's computers are installing, updating or scanning, I use another computer to do something else, and that includes some games. Doesn't anyone else have KDE-based games that are running slow?

        Joan in Reno

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
          If the game runs slowly on your machine then you might want to look at
          alternatives. It runs fine for me on 12.04, 64-bit, but all machines are
          different. It sounds more that it requires more resources than your machine
          can deliver. There is xshisen and many other mahjong type games in the
          repositories. I would not use Muon, BTW. I use either Synaptic or apt-get
          and will not use Muon or Software Centre unless I have to.

          Roy
          Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
          Location: Canada

          On 4 September 2012 01:54, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > To update...I put another hard disk in the dual-Opteron and installed the
          > new Kubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit and it had a slow version of the game, too. The
          > Muon Package Manager said something in the notes for it that leads me to
          > believe they know it has problems, but they think games aren't important.
          > That's stupid, coming from the Windows world and DOS before that, games are
          > how most folks start to learn their computers.
          >
          > Heck when one of mine or client's computers are installing, updating or
          > scanning, I use another computer to do something else, and that includes
          > some games. Doesn't anyone else have KDE-based games that are running slow?
          >
          > Joan in Reno

        • Joan Leach
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
            I couldn't find Synaptic, after I downloaded it, wonder where KDE put it? I'll try Xshisen on it.

            Thanks,
            Joan in Reno

            If the game runs slowly on your machine then you might want to look at
            alternatives. It runs fine for me on 12.04, 64-bit, but all machines are
            different. It sounds more that it requires more resources than your machine
            can deliver. There is xshisen and many other mahjong type games in the
            repositories. I would not use Muon, BTW. I use either Synaptic or apt-get
            and will not use Muon or Software Centre unless I have to.

            Roy
            Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
            Location: Canada

            On 4 September 2012 01:54, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > To update...I put another hard disk in the dual-Opteron and installed the
            > new Kubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit and it had a slow version of the game, too. The
            > Muon Package Manager said something in the notes for it that leads me to
            > believe they know it has problems, but they think games aren't important.
            > That's stupid, coming from the Windows world and DOS before that, games are
            > how most folks start to learn their computers.
            >
            > Heck when one of mine or client's computers are installing, updating or
            > scanning, I use another computer to do something else, and that includes
            > some games. Doesn't anyone else have KDE-based games that are running slow?
            >
            > Joan in Reno

          • Roy
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
              Synaptic goes into the System sub-menu or press Alt+F2 and type synaptic.

              Roy
              Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
              Location: Canada

            • Joan Leach
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
                Found it...but I did find an answer to my KShisen problem while looking for an answer to another problem while on the Mageia site, the errata stated to turn off the sound on that game. On another computer, I had tried the latest Zorin Lite, but couldn't get it to print right. So I went and tried Mageia, but I've grown too used to the Ubuntu-style one password, and like a newbie I made them the same, so I'm in a Login Loop...never seen a desktop.
                On to Google to find how to change the User password from a Live CD, I guess.
                Thanks,Joan in Reno

                Synaptic goes into the System sub-menu or press Alt+F2 and type synaptic.

                Roy
                Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
                Location: Canada

                On 4 September 2012 12:58, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I couldn't find Synaptic, after I downloaded it, wonder where KDE put it?
                > I'll try Xshisen on it.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Joan in Reno

              • Joan Leach
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
                  Humm...I was able to log into Root Console, it said I successfully issued the passwd joan command, shutdown, but when it started up it was still in a loop for my password not getting to the desktop. I think Distrowatch linked to the DVD in error, since they suggest either the KDE or Gnome Live DVD.
                  Live and learn...Joan

                  From: Roy <linuxcanuck@...>

                  To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 10:44 AM

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2012
                    On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 11:37:09PM -0700, Joan Leach wrote:
                    > Humm...I was able to log into Root Console, it said I successfully issued the passwd joan command, shutdown, but when it started up it was still in a loop for my password not getting to the desktop. I think Distrowatch linked to the DVD in error, since they suggest either the KDE or Gnome Live DVD.
                    > Live and learn...Joan

                    Is this Fedora? (Or possibly RedHat?)

                    If so, you can't log into X with root. They decided to weld these training
                    wheels into place. There's a way around it, but as I always boot into text
                    mode and dislike the DE's (Desktop Environments, in other words, KDE,
                    Gnome, and others that have all sorts of extras, like their own
                    configuration tools and such), I've never really looked into it.

                    (Sorry ,haven't been following the thread, but what you're describing
                    sounds like a typical Fedora question, can't log into X as root.)

                    It should allow you to log into console as root.

                    Buffy: People to see, demons to kill.
                  • Joan Leach
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2012
                      Mageia 2, from Mandriva/Mandrake/Red Hat, as far as I know. I'm trying to re-install from their KDE Live CD, instead of the Dual that I used. Will let you know.
                      Joan in Reno
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 5, 2012
                        On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:15:50AM -0700, Joan Leach wrote:
                        > Mageia 2, from Mandriva/Mandrake/Red Hat, as far as I know. I'm trying to re-install from their KDE Live CD, instead of the Dual that I used. Will let you know.
                        > Joan in Reno
                        > --- On Wed, 9/5/12, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                        They might do the same, though I don't know. It's becoming more common, to
                        prohibit root login to X.
                      • Joan Leach
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 5, 2012
                          I'm beginning to think their Website needs updating, since I tried their KDE Live CD and it stopped at the password. Their Forum has no mention of what it should be either. I'm re-downloading their Live KDE Live DVD from Distrowatch link.
                          Humm...maybe I'll try startx from the Console, while I'm waiting for the DVD to download. I definately need to go back to my old books to figure out how to make these Live CDs work when they don't...know what I mean, any tips?
                          Maybe this AMD Sempron tower is too old, but Mint LXDE installed on it? It played Live TV shows with an older Ultimate Linux, but it crashed when I changed monitors. This can be perplexing at times...
                          Joan in Reno