Aptitude fails to configure 'dirmngr'

  • Pascal
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1 10:33 AM
      Hey all,

      I'm having once again a problem with my Debian Testing. When doing an update %% upgrade, aptitude tells me that there is a syntax error in the configuration script (?) for dirmngr (terminal output see below). That also means that three other packages cannot be updated: kde-full, kleopatra & kdepim due to unmet dependencies, they depend on dirmngr. I've been looking around with Google but have failed to find a solution. So far, I wasn't able to locate the configuration script in question, to see what is wrong in the lines aptitude keeps complaining about.

      Can someone help me out?
      Thanks a lot,

      Pascal

      Terminal output:

      Ein Paket konnte nicht installiert werden. Versuch, dies zu lösen:
      dirmngr (1.1.0-3) wird eingerichtet ...

      ##Unable to install package. Attempt to solve the issue: dirmngr (1.1.0-3) is set up...

      [....] Starting DirMngr: dirmngr-su: 15: shopt: not found
      -su: 21: shopt: not found
      -su: 51: Syntax error: Bad fd number
      failed!
      invoke-rc.d: initscript dirmngr, action "start" failed.
      dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von dirmngr (--configure):

      ##Error when configuring dirmngr (--configure)

      Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript gab den Fehlerwert 1 zurück
      dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von kleopatra:

      ##Sub-process of installed post-installation script return error message 1
      ##dpkg: Dependency problems prevent configuration of kleopatra

      kleopatra hängt ab von libkdepim4 (= 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-2); aber:
      Version von libkdepim4 auf dem System ist 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3.

      ##kleopatra depends on libkdepim......

      kleopatra hängt ab von libkleo4 (= 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-2); aber:
      Version von libkleo4 auf dem System ist 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3.
      kleopatra hängt ab von dirmngr; aber:
      Paket dirmngr ist noch nicht konfiguriert.

      ##Package dirmngr is not configured yet

      dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von kleopatra (--configure):
      Abhängigkeitsprobleme - verbleibt unkonfiguriert
      dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von kdepim:
      kdepim hängt ab von kleopatra (>= 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-2); aber:
      Paket kleopatra ist noch nicht konfiguriert.
      dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von kdepim (--configure):
      Abhängigkeitsprobleme - verbleibt unkonfiguriert
      dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von kde-full:
      kde-full hängt ab von kdepim (>= 4:4.4.11); aber:
      Paket kdepim ist noch nicht konfiguriert.
      dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von kde-full (--configure):
      Abhängigkeitsprobleme - verbleibt unkonfiguriert
      Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
      dirmngr
      kleopatra
      kdepim
      kde-full
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 10 7:59 PM
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" <pascal.bernhard@...> wrote:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > I'm having once again a problem with my Debian Testing.

        Stop right there. Debian testing is exactly that, the testing branch. It is supposed to have problems! Debian testing is also not a proper choice for newbies either.

        Heck, I don't think any Debian version is the best choice for a newbie. Debian is only really user friendly to experienced users. As much as I may like the stuff I have to be realistic. The best words I can think of to describe Debian would be inscrutable, or perhaps intractable.

        I just ran into a known bug in stable running Debian today myself. I wonder if my workaround will work? I did do something rather esoteric in this day and age in order to manifest it though. I mean really now, how many people actually use gpm anymore?

        I'm from a time when gpm was rather popular though.
      • Roy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11 2:58 AM
          I agree. Debian is for experienced users. It can be finicky to set-up,
          especially with the binary blobs removed. Debian is great for some people.
          It supports the most architectures and is the basis for many distributions,
          but it is fairly old school in terms of its use and look. That being said,
          its community is large (and can be prickly at times) and you should be able
          to resolve just about any problem if you have the time and patience.

          There are many excellent Debian derivatives, some are based on Debian
          testing and others on Debian unstable. They work downstream to smooth out
          the bugs and add usability. Some of the bug fixes make it back upstream,
          but it is a slow process. Linux Mint Debian Edition or LMDE is based on
          testing and Ubuntu and its derivatives is based on unstable, as is aptosid.

          Roy

          Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
          Location: Canada

          On 10 July 2012 22:59, Paul <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" <pascal.bernhard@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey all,
          > >
          > > I'm having once again a problem with my Debian Testing.
          >
          > Stop right there. Debian testing is exactly that, the testing branch. It
          > is supposed to have problems! Debian testing is also not a proper choice
          > for newbies either.
          >
          > Heck, I don't think any Debian version is the best choice for a newbie.
          > Debian is only really user friendly to experienced users. As much as I may
          > like the stuff I have to be realistic. The best words I can think of to
          > describe Debian would be inscrutable, or perhaps intractable.
          >
          > I just ran into a known bug in stable running Debian today myself. I
          > wonder if my workaround will work? I did do something rather esoteric in
          > this day and age in order to manifest it though. I mean really now, how
          > many people actually use gpm anymore?
          >
          > I'm from a time when gpm was rather popular though.

        • c beck
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11 7:27 AM
            On Jul 1, 2012 2:43 PM, "Pascal" <pascal.bernhard@...> wrote:

            > Hey all,
            >
            > I'm having once again a problem with my Debian Testing.

            I think you are barking at the wrong tree. The testing branch is for
            testing... If you want something functional for daily use, you probably
            want to find a more stable release. If you are just looking to learn, I'd
            say have fun

            On the other hand, it looks like our emails are getting blogged:

            http://mylinuxgeek.blogspot.com/2012/07/re-linuxnewbies-re-aptitude-fails-to.html?m=1

            So if no luck on this list, maybe a helpful commenter will come along.

            Freaking blog scavengers. ;:-/

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 11 7:47 PM
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, c beck <usabecker@...> wrote:

              > I think you are barking at the wrong tree. The testing branch is for
              > testing... If you want something functional for daily use, you probably
              > want to find a more stable release.

              The problem with Debian stable is it would be more aptly named Debian Stale. By the time the Debian team is ready to put the stable stamp on a release it is usually about 2 years out of date. Which can lead to problems if one wishes to run some software not found in the distribution repository.

              cat /etc/debian_version says 6.0.5 on this machine but whether I'm running pure stable or not is a point of contention.

              ~$ dpkg -l | grep "~bpo" | wc -l
              37

              I've done a bit of other monkey business here and there in order to get some things to work too. For instance du -h on /usr/local returns 865M which is a fair chunk of my /usr directory that totals 5.6G

              Watching that scroll by reminded me why I love Linux so much. Seeing so many old friends, even if only fleetingly ...

              This box is young yet. I've only been running it for a couple months now. It is getting there though. I like a certain level of cruft to be really comfortable. Building a thick enough layer up can take me a couple of years.

              Linux, computing the way it was meant to be.
            • Roy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 12 3:03 AM
                My sentiments, too, as a desktop user, but some people who run servers in
                particular require stable and do not need the latest and greatest. Why a
                desktop user would want to run an older version of the GIMP and not be able
                to run LibreOffice at all since it was not around 2 years ago is anybody's
                guess.

                Roy
                Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
                Location: Canada

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12 11:20 AM
                  --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:

                  > My sentiments, too, as a desktop user, but some people who run servers in
                  > particular require stable and do not need the latest and greatest. Why a
                  > desktop user would want to run an older version of the GIMP and not be able
                  > to run LibreOffice at all since it was not around 2 years ago is anybody's
                  > guess.

                  Perhaps it wasn't but Open Office was and I have

                  $ aptitude show libreoffice-common
                  Package: libreoffice-common
                  New: yes
                  State: installed
                  Automatically installed: no
                  Version: 1:3.4.6-2~bpo60+2

                  installed anyways. Way back in the day I ran Star Office and even Word Perfect for Linux too. I value stable above all else myself. The latest isn't even always the greatest either, especially lately.

                  Mostly I run Debian though because it starts off in the best state, and offers me the best platform for me to customize how I see fit.
                • Roy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 12 2:26 PM
                    Linux. There is something for everyone. As long as you are happy.

                    Roy
                    Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
                    Location: Canada