Re: Changing PATH environment after manual TexLive 2011 installation on Debian

  • Pascal
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2012
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" <pascal.hasko@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I need help with setting up my PATH environments on Debian Testing (Wheezy) after I manually installed TexLive 2011. In Debian's repositories (Testing) there is only TexLive 2009 available and I need an up-to-date moderncv.cls class file for writing a specific document. So I decided to upgrade TexLive to the unstable version (TexLive 2011). Unfortunately the moderncv.cls file is also missing there. On the German Tex mailinglist I was adviced to manually install TexLive 2011, which has the files I need. Debian's TexLive package is rather incomplete. They generally advice to install TexLive by hand on Linux system and not rely on package-management in this regard.
      > >
      > > Removing the Debian TexLive is not really an option as my favorite LaTeX-Editor 'Kile' depends on it.
      > >
      > > The installation finished (Tested via command line, it works there!) the installer told me to change my PATH environment settings accordingly:
      > >
      > > Add /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/man to MANPATH, if not dynamically determined.
      > >
      > > Add /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/info to INFOPATH.
      > >
      > > Most importantly, add /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-linux to your PATH for current and future
      > > sessions.
      > >
      > > Now I'm somewhat confused as to where to put these lines. I am the only user on my home PC (If you do not count Root as a user in his own right), so the settings do not necessarily have to be system-wide. Some websites told me to put
      > > 'PATH=PATH$:/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux'
      > >
      > > in /etc/profile
      > >
      > > Others to put it into my own .profile. Still others said it should be either in /bash.bashrc or
      > > ~/.bashrc
      > >
      > > I got a little confused here.
      > >
      > > Ubuntu's German wiki advises against all the proposed solutions, and wants me to add these lines to /etc/environment. This file does not exist yet on my Debian system and I have not found any information so far, whether one should create such a file first. Although as to what I have read /etc/environment, at least on Ubuntu, should exist and have already some lines relating PATH variables in it.
      > >

      > > My GUI LaTeX editors still use Debian's own TexLive packages, not the manually installed ones and do not let me write the document as the aforementioned file is missing. I logged out after each change, and as that did not help I did a full reboot.
      > >
      > > Could you give some advice where to set the PATH environment? This should also be set for GUI programs.
      > >
      > > For the time being I would like to avoid the rough&dirty workaround of symlinking the default TexLive folders with the ones I have installed by hand.
      > >
      > > Thanks a lot for your help,
      > >
      > > Pascal
      > >

      > Have you looked in Debian unstable for texlive 2011?
      >
      > http://packages.debian.org/sid/texlive
      >
      > Package: texlive (2011.20120410-1)

      Yes I have. Indeed I updated my TexLive to the Debian unstable version, but still crucial packages are missing. It also lacks TexLive package manager "tlmgr" for updating which is the recommended way instead of using apt-get or aptitude. As my favorite tex editor 'Kile' would be removed by uninstalling the official TexLive, I'd prefer to have both installations and have Debian ignore its own packages.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2012
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" <pascal.hasko@...> wrote:

        > Yes I have. Indeed I updated my TexLive to the Debian unstable version, but still crucial packages are missing. It also lacks TexLive package manager "tlmgr" for updating which is the recommended way instead of using apt-get or aptitude. As my favorite tex editor 'Kile' would be removed by uninstalling the official TexLive, I'd prefer to have both installations and have Debian ignore its own packages.

        It sounds to me like you'd be happier with another distribution. Now might possibly be a good time to either switch, or learn how to better control Debian's package management system. There are other alternatives you have yet to explore.

        http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/debianproblem.htm

        Some of this, sections 8-12, read correctly, applies to you as well:
        http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html

        I'm not going to tell you what you should do regarding your TeX dilemma, or even suggest it, but I do recommend you completely familiarize yourself with all pertinent information before you go ignoring everything, and carving out your own path.

        The more you know, the more you Debianize.

        P.S. Debian isn't your problem, TeX is.
      • Pascal
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2012
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" <pascal.hasko@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yes I have. Indeed I updated my TexLive to the Debian unstable version, but still crucial packages are missing. It also lacks TexLive package manager "tlmgr" for updating which is the recommended way instead of using apt-get or aptitude. As my favorite tex editor 'Kile' would be removed by uninstalling the official TexLive, I'd prefer to have both installations and have Debian ignore its own packages.
          > >

          > It sounds to me like you'd be happier with another distribution. Now might possibly be a good time to either switch, or learn how to better control Debian's package management system. There are other alternatives you have yet to explore.
          >
          > http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/debianproblem.htm
          >
          > Some of this, sections 8-12, read correctly, applies to you as well:
          > http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html
          >
          > I'm not going to tell you what you should do regarding your TeX dilemma, or even suggest it, but I do recommend you completely familiarize yourself with all pertinent information before you go ignoring everything, and carving out your own path.
          >
          > The more you know, the more you Debianize.
          >
          > P.S. Debian isn't your problem, TeX is.

          Finally, I got the issue fixed. I created a .bash_profile in my HOME-directory with the necessary lines for modifying the PATH environment and had it sourced by /etc/profile. Now everything works fine, for the time being.

          I'd like to disagree with you. I do think that it is a Debian issue also, not only Tex's fault. TexLive packages provided by Debian are missing certain stuff and in this case I need that. Otherwise I don't have a problem with Debian's tex. Even the version 2011 from Debian unstable is not complete. I'd say I could tinker around with Debian's package management as much as I want, if it is not in the repositories what I want I won't get it that way. That's why I had to install TexLive 2011 manually.

          Pascal
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" <pascal.hasko@...> wrote:

            > I'd like to disagree with you. I do think that it is a Debian issue also, not only Tex's fault. TexLive packages provided by Debian are missing certain stuff and in this case I need that. Otherwise I don't have a problem with Debian's tex. Even the version 2011 from Debian unstable is not complete. I'd say I could tinker around with Debian's package management as much as I want, if it is not in the repositories what I want I won't get it that way. That's why I had to install TexLive 2011 manually.
            >
            > Pascal

            "if it is not in the repositories what I want I won't get it that way."

            Then you make it yourself. This is GNU/Linux.

            http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Debian-Binary-Package-Building-HOWTO/

            With FOSS the only limits are the ones that you arbitrarily place upon yourself.