suse 11.3 issues

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
      Hello list members,

      I setup an suse 11.3 box on my home/work network several years ago to both familiarize myself somewhat with linux and to have a synchronization point for my work stations. The SUSE box is essentially a storage server and has copies of my workstations data using a windows open source sych software.

      To get to the point, my workstation's hard drive went down and I am using the SUSE 11.3 station to do my work. Since all data is synched on it, I am using it for everyday work.

      The problem is that I need to download software to get it to duplicate the functionality of my Windows applications. However when I try to install them by running the rpm packages (such as AVG for Linux for example or flash player), I get error messages that needed libraries cannot be accessed and the install fails.

      I think this is due to the fact that 11.3 may no longer be supported and that the download locations no longer contain current code that can be downloaded. Is this the case?

      Does SUSE require that I upgrade and abandon the previous version? Is the solution to the problem to upgrade to the latest version? I downloaded the ISO image of 12.1 but haven't yet burned it to dvd.

      By running this version will it simply upgrade my current version or will I have to do a fresh install? Will I then be able to install other software that I need for every day work?

      Any help is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Tony
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <therrera1550@...> wrote:

        > Hello list members,
        >
        > I setup an suse 11.3 box on my home/work network several years ago to both familiarize myself somewhat with linux and to have a synchronization point for my work stations. The SUSE box is essentially a storage server and has copies of my workstations data using a windows open source sych software.
        >
        > To get to the point, my workstation's hard drive went down and I am using the SUSE 11.3 station to do my work. Since all data is synched on it, I am using it for everyday work.
        >
        > The problem is that I need to download software to get it to duplicate the functionality of my Windows applications. However when I try to install them by running the rpm packages (such as AVG for Linux for example or flash player), I get error messages that needed libraries cannot be accessed and the install fails.
        >
        > I think this is due to the fact that 11.3 may no longer be supported and that the download locations no longer contain current code that can be downloaded. Is this the case?
        >
        > Does SUSE require that I upgrade and abandon the previous version? Is the solution to the problem to upgrade to the latest version? I downloaded the ISO image of 12.1 but haven't yet burned it to dvd.
        >
        > By running this version will it simply upgrade my current version or will I have to do a fresh install? Will I then be able to install other software that I need for every day work?
        >
        > Any help is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Tony

        I used SuSE for a long time. When the machine I ran it on finally died I had problems updating, or upgrading it. But I don't blame SUSE because I just let my system get too out of date. It'd have never been an issue either except the hardware I ran it on did eventually die. That box had a motherboard failure, all of the caps on it went.

        The funny part is I didn't want to update, or upgrade until I'd moved that OS out of that dead box into another one I'd built, and still ran the same OS that was on it. It did run too, but it just didn't run too swiftly. Well, it didn't run all that bad, but it had little issues I wanted to address. It was so out of date by then I'd have had to do everything by hand, it just wouldn't have been worth it for me to do.

        SuSE was real good to me but because of issues I ran into updating, and upgrading I did part ways with them. Stuff I'm not blaming them for mind you, but what is is and I don't keep on other people's schedules well.

        I'm also not so big on change for change sake, but that is a rant for another time ... it isn't directly related to any of this, but this has made me think of that.

        I'm still looking for a distro that operates on the theory of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
      • Hal
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
          On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 09:56:02AM -0000, Paul wrote:

          > I'm still looking for a distro that operates on the theory of, if it ain't
          > broke, don't fix it!

          Slackware??

          --
          Hal UNIX-GNU/Linux; Slackware 13.0 kernel 2.6.29.6-JFS
          www.asciiribbon.org
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Hal <halinux@...> wrote:

            > On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 09:56:02AM -0000, Paul wrote:
            >

            > > I'm still looking for a distro that operates on the theory of, if it ain't
            > > broke, don't fix it!
            >
            > Slackware??

            I ran Slackware from versions 3 to 8 so I am familiar with it. Enough to know it'd be a poor fit for me today with my present circumstances. This new machine makes 5 I have to care for now and I simply do not have enough hours in the day. I gave up on Slack initially because one PC was getting too burdensome.

            I am investigating Arch which is based on Slack but research is still in the early stages there so it is too soon for me to say much as of yet.

            If there were easy answers I'd have found them by now.
          • c beck
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
              On Apr 1, 2012 1:52 AM, "Tony" <therrera1550@...> wrote:
              >Hello list members,
              >
              > To get to the point, my workstation's hard drive went down and I am using
              the SUSE 11.3 station to do my work. Since all data is synched on it, I am
              using it for everyday work.

              > The problem is that I need to download software to get it to duplicate
              the functionality of my Windows applications. However when I try to install
              them by running the rpm packages (such as AVG for Linux for example or
              flash player), I get error messages that needed libraries cannot be
              accessed and the install fails.

              > I think this is due to the fact that 11.3 may no longer be supported and
              that the download locations no longer contain current code that can be
              downloaded. Is this the case?

              Do you have your original install DVD? There is a lot of software on
              that. Also, it looks like the repository may be available here...

              < http://software.opensuse.org/113/en>

              There is a link under the "network" section. I am not able to access it
              on mobile though to inspect. Best of luck.

              > Does SUSE require that I upgrade and abandon the previous version? Is the
              solution to the problem to upgrade to the latest version? I downloaded the
              ISO image of 12.1 but haven't yet burned it to dvd.

              I would not recommend you try an upgrade. Even if version upgrades are
              possible on a out of date system, it does not men they are going to "go
              well"...

              > By running this version will it simply upgrade my current version or will
              I have to do a fresh install? Will I then be able to install other software
              that I need for every day work?

              Back up everything and do a fresh install... You can then install whatever
              software is available.

              > Any help is greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Tony

            • Roy
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
                I don't think that Arch is based on Slack. It is a great distro, but it was
                built from scratch and was influenced by Crux and Gentoo. This is not a
                knock against Slackware which is also a great choice. Pacman was developed
                by founder Judd Vinet in 2002 and is still used today.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slackware_family_tree_11-06.png

                If you do not mind working from the commandline and want a great minimalist
                distro that is a rolling release then Arch would be my choice, If you want
                more GUI control then I would look at Gentoo-based Sabayon, but it is
                anything but minimalist.

                Roy

                Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
                Location: Canada

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
                  --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:

                  > I don't think that Arch is based on Slack. It is a great distro, but it was
                  > built from scratch and was influenced by Crux and Gentoo. This is not a
                  > knock against Slackware which is also a great choice. Pacman was developed
                  > by founder Judd Vinet in 2002 and is still used today.
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slackware_family_tree_11-06.png
                  >
                  > If you do not mind working from the commandline and want a great minimalist
                  > distro that is a rolling release then Arch would be my choice, If you want
                  > more GUI control then I would look at Gentoo-based Sabayon, but it is
                  > anything but minimalist.
                  >
                  > Roy

                  Apparently not derivative but Arch was "Inspired by"

                  From:
                  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/History_of_Arch_Linux

                  "Judd Vinet, a Canadian programmer and occasional guitarist, began developing Arch Linux in early 2001. Its first formal release, Arch Linux 0.1, was on March 11, 2002. Inspired by the elegant simplicity of Slackware, Polish Linux Distribution, and CRUX, and yet disappointed with the lack of package management; Vinet built his own distribution on similar principles as those distros. But, he also wrote a package management program called pacman, to automatically handle package installation, removal, and upgrades."

                  I ordered the PSU I need for my dollar PC, but I opted for free shipping, so I've some time before I decide anything. Most likely I'll try several distros out before I settle.

                  What else are junk PCs for? To make it more fun I just ordered a video card for it too. The on board stuff is shot, likely just a broken solder joint on the connector but GMA 3100 ain't my idea of worth fixing. I have an ATI card in it now, but I've had issues getting that card accelerated in Linux.

                  Once I get it all sorted out it should be an OK machine.
                • Roy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                    Lets' hear it for the Canadians. Arch is great! Thanks for that tidbit on
                    Slackware's connection. I will store it in my memory bank. ;)

                    Linux is the best toybox for geeks. It is so easy to download and install
                    ISOs to rewritables or use Unetbootin to write to bootable usb sticks. Try
                    as many as you like! I do. :)

                    Roy

                    Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
                    Location: Canada

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:

                      > Lets' hear it for the Canadians. Arch is great! Thanks for that tidbit on
                      > Slackware's connection. I will store it in my memory bank. ;)
                      >
                      > Linux is the best toybox for geeks. It is so easy to download and install
                      > ISOs to rewritables or use Unetbootin to write to bootable usb sticks. Try
                      > as many as you like! I do. :)
                      >
                      > Roy
                      >
                      > Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
                      > Location: Canada

                      while downloading and installing are easy, it is the configuring, and living with that concerns me. My memory bank is too limited to try too many different versions with capacity.
                    • Pierre
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

                        > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Lets' hear it for the Canadians. Arch is great! Thanks for that tidbit on
                        > > Slackware's connection. I will store it in my memory bank. ;)
                        > >
                        > > Linux is the best toybox for geeks. It is so easy to download and install
                        > > ISOs to rewritables or use Unetbootin to write to bootable usb sticks. Try
                        > > as many as you like! I do. :)
                        > >
                        > > Roy
                        > >
                        > > Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
                        > > Location: Canada
                        >
                        > while downloading and installing are easy, it is the configuring, and living with that concerns me. My memory bank is too limited to try too many different versions with capacity.

                        Thats a pretty answer but its not the limited amonth of memory that you have that is the problem, its the lack of willing to learn something new. You dont want to go out of your confort zone..

                        I am making my own distro right now. And I am a window guy.. But I am learning what I need to make it cause I want to do a small appliance for some ham radio activity.

                        maybe when I will get it to work , the project will be so out of date that it wont matter anymore, but at least I am trying.

                        p.s. I am 46 , got 2 grand children and a 3rd one is comming, I am a union rep and I am deep into politic. so If I can make it, You can too..

                        Pierre
                        VE2PF
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
                          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre" <petem001@...> wrote:

                          > p.s. I am 46 , got 2 grand children and a 3rd one is comming, I am a union rep and I am deep into politic. so If I can make it, You can too..
                          >
                          > Pierre
                          > VE2PF

                          A couple years ago when I was your age I had more energy too ...