Re: Accelerated Graphics on Linux

    Message 1 of 111 , Mar 15, 2012
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, c beck <usabecker@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Paul <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > You run your graphics accelerated? I've never had the best of luck with ATI hardware on Linux.
      > >

      > I've been wondering about ATI acceleration lately. A Compaq/HP mini
      > Tower I just got has an ATI Radeon 3100 (or a HD 3100, if you prefer
      > the spec sheet over lspci). I wasn't having much luck with the open
      > source driver to see video on the screen at all. Finally got the
      > proprietary one installed and configured properly ( i think). I don't
      > really know how to "evaluate" how well the acceleration is working.
      > flgrx_gears silliness gives ~300 fps over a few minutes. I've got no
      > idea what it is actually supposed to be. But some other yoker at
      > least has similar:
      > <http://global.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=profile&u=pete-2286-21397-9179>
      >
      > Doesn't seem much better (or worse) than intell integrated graphics,
      > other than setup and actually getting a driver to work.

      I have an i3 with its Intel integrated graphics and its OK. I've been looking at my options to upgrade it, but so far haven't seen anything that has sold me yet.

      It was easier for me to get Intel to work accelerated than ATI hardware on that system. I had some random ATI card lying around which I plugged into it. When I finally got it to work it wasn't even as good as my integrated graphics so I removed it.

      I'm looking at Nvidia hardware. While their accelerated drivers are not open source, they seem to make an effort to support Linux as best as they can to me. Are any accelerated drivers open source for modern GPUs today?

      Much as I like the idea of open source I'm not going to needlessly sacrifice performance for it.
    • G.LinuxDucks
      Message 111 of 111 , Dec 30, 2014
        I agree with others that Mint and Ubuntu are very popular and easy to use (as most are anyway). Mint like Debian are kind of like Windows-like and Ubuntu is kind of like Windows 8 now with the Metro type screen. I always say now after using both Windows and Linux for years that if you know how to use Windows, you already know how to use Linux. The terminology is slightly different - but Linux on the other hand is so fast compared to Windooooze.

        You can find a lot of help at handfuls of links here:
        Linux Tutorials - Information, How-To, Tutorials
        http://linuxducks.free-forums.org/viewforum.php?f=5

        Basics.... You download your Linux pick and now what? (Download it to like My Documents example). That's called the ISO or computer operating system image file. You can now transfer that to a USB drive or burn it to a CD/DVD to either run it as a demo first or install. I'm guessing you wish to keep Windows 7 and also have Linux installed so that you can use either system at will. That's called the dual boot. So for USB or DVD you will need a small utility enabling you to transfer the Linux ISO (Mint, Ubuntu etc) and then good to go by using either.

        Get (for USB, I have used both and they are equally good and free).....

        UNetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
        UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. It runs on Windows, Linux, ...

        Universal USB Installer http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
        Universal USB Installer is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive.

        FOR DVD to enable burning a Linux ISO to DVD to run for demo or install.....
        (I always have used InfraRecorder with never a problem)
        InfraRecorder
        InfraRecorder is a free CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows. It offers a wide range of powerful features; all through an easy to use application interface and Windows Explorer integration. [Record disc images (ISO and BIN/CUE) ].
        http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

        MORE
        Short list here http://linuxducks.webs.com/apps/links/

        Linux and Computing Glossaries
        Linux glossary, Unix glossary, computing glossaries, and acronyms....
        http://linux.about.com/od/glossary/Linux_and_Computing_Glossaries.htm

        On 12/27/2014 5:49 PM, slinky_slink@... [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
        How and where do I start? I have NO computer programming experience. Been running Windows since 95. Is programming experience required?

        thanks