Re: [LINUX_Newbies] N00Bie Here.....

  • c beck
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2011
      Whether GB or MB, they did mention having a separate HD from which they
      were intending to install linux. There's several options even with the
      smaller size, but puppy linux may be best if hoping to find click-n-go
      support for less common software packages as it is supposed to be dpkg
      compatable now I believe.

      sent from a mobile device

    • Roy
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2011
        Puppy is a good choice for low RAM, but it is not the most full
        featured and while it can be installed to HD where it really shines is
        running from RAM on a usb stick where you do not want to or need to
        install additional packages. I have nothing against Puppy. It does not
        come with much and installation of other packages is limiting IMO.

        If I was in that position, I would look at Vector Linux (XFCE on
        Slackware base) Crunchbang (openbox on a Debian base), AntiX (Fluxbox
        on MEPIS/ Debian-testing base), Bodhi Linux (E17 on Ubuntu 10.04 but
        compiled for low processors) or Lubuntu (LXDE on Ubuntu core). All
        require 128 MBs or less. All work well and are meant for daily desktop
        use.

        Roy

        Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
        Location: Canada

      • Hal
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2011
          On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 04:07:04AM -0000, ka5lqj wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've finally had enough of all I can stand of spyware, bots,
          > browser grabbers, crudware and MICRO$OFT.

          Greetings OM; you're on the right track for sanity..

          Will snip and annotate below with the disclaimer that all IMHO..
          Many will disagree..

          > I have an old Dell 2400 with 256 megs of RAM. The hard drive
          > is a 120 meg with only 27% used. I'd like to dual boot the
          > machine (I have another hard drive the same size - 120 megs.
          > I'm thinking this SHOULD be enough for what I want to do with
          > it, LOL!

          You didn't mention the CPU; important for many GUI apps.. 120mB is
          larger than any HD I have with most 40mB to 80mB but, of course, I don't
          know how bad M$'s bloat is.. If you're into heavy video streaming and
          storage--different ball game and old machines not up to snuff..

          > As you can see by my return e-maul (flame)address, I'm a
          > licensed Amateur radio (Morse code) operator and have been for
          > 32 years now. I cut my computer "teeth' on a Commodore 64
          > with DOS 1.0, so I'm used to command prompts. I went with the
          > IBM 'knock-off' machines up to DOS 6.22, then was forced to use
          > Windows.

          If you want to use Linux for Ham Radio you'll be disappointed as the
          Ham community is definately in bed with M$ with some sparce exceptions..
          Windows is still DOS of course as we know.. IMHO again, and maybe support
          has changed lately..

          > My "part-time work", I'm medically retired and handicapped,
          > requires me to still use Windows XP Home, But, for my ham stuff,
          > I can use Linux (Xbuntu?).

          Ubuntu #1 but I've had issues trying it with older machines.. Some
          suggested Puppy Linux a good choice because you can run as a live CD to
          check things out.. An excellent distribution along with it's many
          knockoff's; Wary and SlackO come to mind.. Be forewarned though that it's
          not good as a *nix tutorial.. For that you may need Slackware the grandaddy
          of them all.. Many will say Debian and be correct but, again IMHO, that
          distrib is not for a beginner.. The latest version of Slax 6.1.2 runs as a
          live CD and uses many Slackware packages.. IIRC, I had it running on a 90's
          machine with a 233mHz CPU and 160mB Ram.. Fetch and burn some to try.. (You
          didn't mention your major use.)

          > Where I live in Louisiana, there aren't any linux users, it ALL
          > done with WINBLOW$ and a couple of RISC machines down at the
          > Sheriff's office.

          M$ excellent with their marketing.. Fairly normal.. Only the Super
          Computers run Linux/*nix over 90% of the time... If your neighbours run
          tablets or iPad/iPhone; Android or BSD; both Linux... HI.. Mention to them
          that their toaster is, no doubt, Linux...

          > I have "FREE" long distance, so if anyone could help me to get
          > the O/S loaded, peaked out, and running, I'd greatly appreciate
          > it. I can 'phone you so I cost you nothing but some time.

          Again, IMHO, dialogue on this site may help others, plus the written
          word sinks in better; again IMHO... :^).. In my case hard of hearing
          eliminates the telephone.. Mighten as you go along you'll find someone that
          could be an Elmer via the landline??

          > Thank you for your time,
          > Respectfully submitted,
          > Don

          I'm sure we're all here to help or confuse as the case may be..

          Vy 73 de W8MCH..

          --
          Hal UNIX-GNU/Linux; Slackware 13.0 kernel 2.6.29.6-JFS
          www.asciiribbon.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2011
            The last(5.3) is dpkg supported. But with the system he said he had. It
            probily is an 120GB.

            david