Need smallest OS

  • dallas p
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2011
      I have an old laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux OS. I have not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions as to which one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots of time to experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old Dell that works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are way too much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.
      Thanks so much, Peggie
    • Roy
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
        How much RAM and what processor?

        Smallest OS is Tiny Core or Slitaz.

        http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/welcome.html

        http://www.slitaz.org/en/

        There are smaller ones with no GUI that will fit on floppies.

        Roy

        Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
        Location: Canada

        On 1 December 2011 01:12, dallas p <lakerspeg@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I have an old laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux
        > OS. I have not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions
        > as to which one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots
        > of time to experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old
        > Dell that works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are
        > way too much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.
        > Thanks so much, Peggie

      • Frederick Bvalani
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
          Puppy Linux may not be the smallest but it's also good.

          On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:12 AM, dallas p <lakerspeg@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I have an old laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux
          > OS. I have not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions
          > as to which one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots
          > of time to experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old
          > Dell that works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are
          > way too much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.
          > Thanks so much, Peggie

        • g.linuxducks
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2011
            Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS is very, very stable and fantastic for these and
            should work with legacy hardware. Great easy as pie step by step install
            here...
            http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

            5Gigs is tiny today and should be just under the wire to get an install
            done which I believe requires 4Gigs.

            NOTE I found the mistake was to use the Netbook Editions on
            Notebook/Laptops that actually work with the desktop version. I have
            used Debian, Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 and 11.04, and Linux Mint which has
            really become popular all on a Toshiba Notebook just fine. They all
            installed and ran as expected.

            NOTE Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS is Long Term Support until year 2013. The
            next Ubuntu 12.04 LTS soon will be attended for 5 years.

            My vote is Ubuntu and is about most popular now and of course Debian is
            always number one and a tad advanced. The Ubuntu LTS releases - distros
            - have proven to be most stable with immediate bug fixes / security
            updates. Again, and of course Debian seems always on top of the game.

            On 12/01/2011 01:12 AM, dallas p wrote:
            > I have an old laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux OS. I have not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions as to which one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots of time to experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old Dell that works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are way too much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.
            > Thanks so much, Peggie

          • g.linuxducks
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2011
              Bodhi Linux Is Beautiful & Works On Very Old Computers [Linux]
              Try a lightweight, beautiful Linux distro that works on very old hardware.
              Bodhi Linux can run on processors with only 300 mhz so imagine how well
              it will ...
              http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/bodhi-linux-beautiful-works-computers-linux/

              Perhaps another last resort try...

              gerald phily pa usa
              http://linuxducks.webs.com/

              On 12/01/2011 01:12 AM, dallas p wrote:
              > I have an old laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux OS. I have not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions as to which one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots of time to experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old Dell that works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are way too much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.
              > Thanks so much, Peggie

            • LinuxDucks
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2011
                Just came across this by accident at DistroWatch....

                TinyMe is a Unity Linux-based mini-distribution. It exists to ease installation of Unity Linux on older computers, to provide a minimal installation for developers, and to deliver a fast Linux installation for where only the bare essentials are needed....
                http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=tinyme

                HOME http://tinymelinux.com/

                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:

                > Bodhi Linux Is Beautiful & Works On Very Old Computers [Linux]
                > Try a lightweight, beautiful Linux distro that works on very old hardware.
                > Bodhi Linux can run on processors with only 300 mhz so imagine how well
                > it will ...
                > http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/bodhi-linux-beautiful-works-computers-linux/
                >
                > Perhaps another last resort try...
                >
                > gerald phily pa usa
                > http://linuxducks.webs.com/
                >
                > On 12/01/2011 01:12 AM, dallas p wrote:
                > > I have an old laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux OS. I have not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions as to which one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots of time to experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old Dell that works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are way too much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.
                > > Thanks so much, Peggie

              • dvdpst
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2011
                  The first one to come to mind is Puppy linux. It will run in 256kb memory.

                  On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM, dallas p <lakerspeg@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I have an old laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux
                  > OS. I have not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions
                  > as to which one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots
                  > of time to experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old
                  > Dell that works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are
                  > way too much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.
                  > Thanks so much, Peggie

                • Frederick Bvalani
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2011
                    The best thing to do is to post the RAM and processor coz you may not need
                    the "smallest" Linux, maybe the machine can run a better Linux than the
                    smallest you are asking for.

                  • Parth Vithalani
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2011
                      i booted my dell inspiron 15R with puppylinux
                      it can boot from pendrive or an optical medium and save all the files to the same drive back on exiting
                      the os resides totally on ram
                      so no need of hard disk
                      have a shot at puppylinux
                      its just a 128 mb iso
                      puppyliux.org

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2011
                        That was what I was going to ask for. If I remember right. Computers that
                        had 5gb hd had about 64 to 128 kb memory.

                        On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Frederick Bvalani <fredbvalani@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > The best thing to do is to post the RAM and processor coz you may not need
                        > the "smallest" Linux, maybe the machine can run a better Linux than the
                        > smallest you are asking for.

                      • Hal
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2011
                          On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 06:12:39AM -0000, dallas p wrote: I have an old
                          > laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux OS. I have
                          > not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions as to which
                          > one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots of time to
                          > experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old Dell that
                          > works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are way too
                          > much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions. Thanks so much,
                          > Peggie

                          Greetings: You've gotten some responses, here's mine:

                          Playing with a circa '97 Toshiba Tecra, 233mHz Pentium MMX CPU, 160mB DRAM,
                          evaluating WiFi with that Legacy machine..

                          First off discovered the internal CD drive would not boot CD-RW burns, just
                          CD-R's, meaning more coasters produced.. YMMV.. :^(

                          Fetched the latest version of Slax, running as a live CD, worked fine in VESA
                          frame buffer mode only, not Xorg, KDE Desktop.. Slax-6.1.2.iso, when booted
                          presents a menu to select VESA..

                          Puppy 4.1.2, 4.3.1 and later would not run good and 4.3.1 later would not
                          boot.. I modified 4.1.2 removing some apps; reburned and it ran fine after
                          that as a live CD..

                          Slackware 12.0, 12.1 and 13.0 would not install without issues but version
                          11.0, kernel 2.4.33.3 worked fine at least in CLI mode.. Didn't try GUI..

                          Got a report from another that BasicLinux V2x worked legacy and V3x, VESA
                          Frame Buffer mode only, worked.. I've had no hands on with that distribution
                          but understand it's a good one..

                          Bottom line; it seems machines designed for Win95 and updated to Win98, can
                          have many issues unless one wants to use them for very basic stuff.. The new
                          coding just doesn't like them.. Good luck, HTH..

                          --
                          Hal UNIX-GNU/Linux; Slackware 13.0 kernel 2.6.29.6-JFS
                          www.asciiribbon.org
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 4, 2011
                            the smallest that I know of is puppy Linux, someone I know in seattle use's it on limited resourse machines.

                            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, dvdpst <dvdposton@...> wrote:

                            > That was what I was going to ask for. If I remember right. Computers that
                            > had 5gb hd had about 64 to 128 kb memory.
                            >
                            > On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Frederick Bvalani <fredbvalani@...>wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > The best thing to do is to post the RAM and processor coz you may not need
                            > > the "smallest" Linux, maybe the machine can run a better Linux than the
                            > > smallest you are asking for.

                          • dvdpst
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 4, 2011
                              Is that machine an 286 or what. Puppy over 4.1 I think was for 386 machines.