Re: [LINUX_Newbies] need help with centos configuring virtualbox comand line

  • c beck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2011
      sent from a mobile device
      On Nov 30, 2011 8:01 PM, "Rodger" <rodger@...> wrote:

      > I have centos 6 installed and I have
      > also installed VirtualBox. I desire to setup several virtual machines for
      > testing and learning purposes. I have a 8way server 16 cores and 32gigs of
      > ram. I dont have xwindows or any gui installed figured would be better to
      > learn from command line. I have also installed Virtualbox and Have
      > VBoxManage tool for cli. I created vm and registered it but must be
      missing
      > something. I would like to be able to install iso operating image from
      > another server that has my storage drives. Any help would be greatly
      > appreciated.

      What do you mean by 'I created vm'...? Does that mean you've gotten the
      point of finishing the installation of an OS in vbox? A specific
      UI/application? I've not worked with vbox in a headless environment, but
      even so, with a beter understanding of what you are having an issue with,
      maybe I or someone else can better help. Also, did you install vbox
      through the centOS package manager (I have no idea what that distro uses,
      maybe dpkg?), or did you compile vbox from source (and if so did you set
      any options or check for conflicts in dependencies?)

    • Rodger
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2011
        Virtualbox is installed and can configure from cli. VirtualManage is the c(command line command). Doc shows VirtualManage createvm "vmname" -- register. Cant get past that to actual create virtual machine then install os to vm machine from ISO image.

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:48:22PM -0000, Rodger wrote:
        > > I have centos 6 installed and I have also installed VirtualBox. I desire to setup several virtual machines for testing and learning purposes. I have a 8way server 16 cores and 32gigs of ram. I dont have xwindows or any gui installed figured would be better to learn from command line. I have also installed Virtualbox and Have VBoxManage tool for cli. I created vm and registered it but must be missing something. I would like to be able to install iso operating image from another server that has my storage drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        > >

        > I'm not quite sure what you mean by iso image--do you mean an install
        > type CD or a complete image?
        >
        > You've created your VM. Is it installed, or do you mean you've just
        > carved out the disk space, and now have to give it a target from which
        > to boot?
        >

        > --
        > Scott Robbins
        > PGP keyID EB3467D6
        >
        > Giles: Alright. I'll just jump into my time machine, go back to
        > the 12th century and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient
        > prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show.
        > Buffy: Okay, at this point you're abusing sarcasm.

      • Rodger
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2011
          I am a newbie asa you can tell. I installed vbox from someoens instructions not the package manager. What I have not been able to do is get virtual machine setup. I believe my problem is missing step to get virtual machine setup. I havent even got to the point where I can point to install file to install specific os.

          I have been trying to learn by doing everything from command line. (centos was minimal install no gui. If I could get gui working with xming it may be easier?