Laptops and notebooks

  • dc
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
      Gentlemen,

      My thanks to all who advised me about desktops. The new machine is
      running just fine.

      The current problem is that I bought a laptop as a present for a friend
      (HP Pavillion g6 - Costco special :-) ) and neither Opensuse nor Ubuntu
      will install.

      The interesting thing is that the Suse installer starts and configures
      with no trouble, but the actual installation reports inability to
      install the boot loader. Result is a dead machine.

      Can it be that there is some hard-wired demand for Microsoft in the
      bios?

      Does anyone have any advice on things to try before I return the machine
      as malfunctioning?
    • Roy
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
        What does the partition table look like? What OSes and on what partitions
        are they?

        Roy

        Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
        Location: Canada

        On 1 November 2011 03:17, dc <d_coyle@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Gentlemen,
        >
        > My thanks to all who advised me about desktops. The new machine is
        > running just fine.
        >
        > The current problem is that I bought a laptop as a present for a friend
        > (HP Pavillion g6 - Costco special :-) ) and neither Opensuse nor Ubuntu
        > will install.
        >
        > The interesting thing is that the Suse installer starts and configures
        > with no trouble, but the actual installation reports inability to
        > install the boot loader. Result is a dead machine.
        >
        > Can it be that there is some hard-wired demand for Microsoft in the
        > bios?
        >
        > Does anyone have any advice on things to try before I return the machine
        > as malfunctioning?

      • dc
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
          Thanks for replying Roy. Maybe I should try a 64 bit install?

          I have just rerun the SuSE install
          sda1 -- 2 GB swap
          sda2 -- 20 GB root (Ext4)
          sda3 -- 457 GB home (Ext4)

          all were formatted successfully. The _graphical_ install completes about
          halfway and then we get the first error message from Yast2:

          Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: %
          pre(kernal-desktop-2.6.37.1-1.2.2.i586) scriptlet failed, exit status
          127.
          error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping
          kernal-desktop-2.6.37.1-1.2.2

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
            PS I forgot to mention a couple of things:
            There are explicit references to windows in the bios setup (context was
            a diagnostic option)
            With Ubuntu I get the initial splash screen and then everything dies.
          • Robert C Wittig
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
              On 11/1/2011 7:22 AM, dc wrote:
              > Thanks for replying Roy. Maybe I should try a 64 bit install?
              >
              > I have just rerun the SuSE install
              > sda1 -- 2 GB swap
              > sda2 -- 20 GB root (Ext4)
              > sda3 -- 457 GB home (Ext4)
              >
              > all were formatted successfully. The _graphical_ install completes about
              > halfway and then we get the first error message from Yast2:

              If you are trying to install a *nix OS on brand-new, bleeding edge
              hardware, you might run into the reality that *nix distributions have to
              develop their own hardware drivers, so there is usually a time lag, so
              that, for example, if your brand new Windows machine has an equally
              brand new mainboard, for which no *nix developer has yet got around to
              writing drivers for.

              Eventually, if the mainboard (in this example... could be any piece of
              hardware in the computer) is decent enough to attract a developer to
              want to use it (remember, in many cases, no one is paying him/her to do
              this work), then the developer will write the drivers, and release them
              for free use to the *nix community.

              When choosing hardware for a *nix build, I usually do some googling, and
              try to choose hardware that has drivers already written for it.

              In most cases, this means hardware that is a couple years old.

              This is not a bad thing, because after a couple years, one can often
              find revision 2 or 3 hardware for sale, which has all the initial
              bug-fixes taken care of, and also, it is cheaper than the bleeding edge
              stuff, because it is no longer 'bleeding edge'. :)

              --
              http://www.robertwittig.com/
              http://robertwittig.net/
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
                It could be anything with the SusE install. It could be a bad ISO, a bad
                burn, or that there is some incompatibility. With Ubuntu, I would press
                escape when the graphical screen starts the loading process and read the
                text. It will give a better idea of the problem.

                Roy

                Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
                Location: Canada

                On 1 November 2011 08:43, dc <d_coyle@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > PS I forgot to mention a couple of things:
                > There are explicit references to windows in the bios setup (context was
                > a diagnostic option)
                > With Ubuntu I get the initial splash screen and then everything dies.

              • dvdpst
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
                  Go into the bios and make sure that the CD is first boot option.

                  david