Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu unity

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
      On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 05:13:35PM -0400, dvdpst wrote:
      > I found an way around that. I just make the swap space an little bit bigger.
      > Right now my swap in Kubuntu is 31GB with 8GB of ram. Works ok for me.

      That seems to be far too much swap, especially with 8GB of RAM.
      Is it really using that much? (You can tell by running top or free,
      that is, just typing the word top, or the word free, at a command
      prompt.

      Cordelia: Oh my god! She killed him! (touches dust) Oops. My
      bad. It's just dust. I forgot to clean under the rug.
      Doyle: What are you trying to give me a heart attack?
      Cordelia: Hey, don't blame me if he's too cheap to hire a cleaning
      lady.
    • J
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
        On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 18:23, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 05:13:35PM -0400, dvdpst wrote:
        >> I found an way around that. I just make the swap space an little bit bigger.
        >> Right now my swap in Kubuntu is 31GB with 8GB of ram. Works ok for me.
        >
        > That seems to be far too much swap, especially with 8GB of RAM.
        > Is it really using that much?  (You can tell by running top or free,
        > that is, just typing the word top, or the word free, at a command
        > prompt.

        You beat me to it...

        Also, more swap != faster computer it just means you can move more
        pages in and out of RAM onto the hard disk. Really, if you're using
        31GB of swap (or even if you're using swap at all, IMHO) it's time to
        re-consider your hardware situation. Unless you're doing some real
        hard-core things like rendering video composites or something
        heavy-duty like that, then it's a little more understandable.
      • c beck
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
          On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 05:13:35PM -0400, dvdpst wrote:
          > > I found an way around that. I just make the swap space an little bit bigger.
          > > Right now my swap in Kubuntu is 31GB with 8GB of ram. Works ok for me.
          >
          > That seems to be far too much swap, especially with 8GB of RAM.
          > Is it really using that much? (You can tell by running top or free,
          > that is, just typing the word top, or the word free, at a command
          > prompt.

          I was thinking it was just a "funny haha" comment... Unless David is
          maybe doing some molecular modeling or editing a word-for-word video
          recording of war and peace... :)

          Alternatively, could it be a bad program slowly hogging up RAM? I
          seem to have an entire operating system of those on my phone...