Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu unity

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
      On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 02:53:34PM -0500, James Jolin wrote:
      > On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
      >

      > > thanks, guys. I wish I had thought of the google thing. You both gave me a
      > few things to chew on. I had forgotten to use the additional driver thing.
      > This whole Unity thing is beginning to sound like a Microsoft thing. They
      > come out with this gee whiz os and then you get the "oh ya and you will need
      > some newer hardware." I see the ram requirements are up as well. Well
      > thanks again.
      > Jim

      Just about all of the main distributions are doing it.

      There are, however, still some distributions aimed at the less powerful,
      or older machines. Even the Fedoras and Ubuntus can be used on older
      machines if one chooses a less resource intensive desktop.

      Buffy: I didn't say that I'd never slay another vampire. It's not
      like I have all these fluffy bunny feelings for them, I'm just
      not gonna get way extracurricular with it.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
        On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 05:13:35PM -0400, dvdpst wrote:
        > I found an way around that. I just make the swap space an little bit bigger.
        > Right now my swap in Kubuntu is 31GB with 8GB of ram. Works ok for me.

        That seems to be far too much swap, especially with 8GB of RAM.
        Is it really using that much? (You can tell by running top or free,
        that is, just typing the word top, or the word free, at a command
        prompt.

        Cordelia: Oh my god! She killed him! (touches dust) Oops. My
        bad. It's just dust. I forgot to clean under the rug.
        Doyle: What are you trying to give me a heart attack?
        Cordelia: Hey, don't blame me if he's too cheap to hire a cleaning
        lady.
      • J
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
          On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 18:23, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 05:13:35PM -0400, dvdpst wrote:
          >> I found an way around that. I just make the swap space an little bit bigger.
          >> Right now my swap in Kubuntu is 31GB with 8GB of ram. Works ok for me.
          >
          > That seems to be far too much swap, especially with 8GB of RAM.
          > Is it really using that much?  (You can tell by running top or free,
          > that is, just typing the word top, or the word free, at a command
          > prompt.

          You beat me to it...

          Also, more swap != faster computer it just means you can move more
          pages in and out of RAM onto the hard disk. Really, if you're using
          31GB of swap (or even if you're using swap at all, IMHO) it's time to
          re-consider your hardware situation. Unless you're doing some real
          hard-core things like rendering video composites or something
          heavy-duty like that, then it's a little more understandable.
        • c beck
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
            On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 05:13:35PM -0400, dvdpst wrote:
            > > I found an way around that. I just make the swap space an little bit bigger.
            > > Right now my swap in Kubuntu is 31GB with 8GB of ram. Works ok for me.
            >
            > That seems to be far too much swap, especially with 8GB of RAM.
            > Is it really using that much? (You can tell by running top or free,
            > that is, just typing the word top, or the word free, at a command
            > prompt.

            I was thinking it was just a "funny haha" comment... Unless David is
            maybe doing some molecular modeling or editing a word-for-word video
            recording of war and peace... :)

            Alternatively, could it be a bad program slowly hogging up RAM? I
            seem to have an entire operating system of those on my phone...