Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Using Terminal Applications

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      If it is just one command to launch an application for example you can press
      Alt+F2 and type the launching command. This is useful for terminal
      applications that open up in a window. However, if you type other commands
      or have lots of options and wildcards then you will want to open a terminal
      window and type in the terminal itself. You can usually get help by typing
      --help or -H after the command or get the manpage (manual) by typing man and
      then the command such as: man apt-get. It will give you help for apt-get.
      You can use it for any command.

      See: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man1/intro.1.html
      http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html
      http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

      Enjoy!

      Roy

      Using Kubuntu 11.04, 64-bit
      Location: Canada

      On 30 June 2011 20:33, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 02:00:00PM -0000, Gabrielle wrote:
      > > Greetings, I have the latest Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite L505 Laptop.
      > > I am now ready to go to the next step in learning the wonderful world of
      > Linux. I downloaded a program called "Kismet", which works like net
      > stumbler. So, when I downloaded it, it said it is accessed by the terminal.
      > It also does not show up in my regular applications. I see that I have an
      > icon for terminal and went there and tried typing in just kismet and I just
      > became confused. So, I need a "how to use terminal for dummies", I did go
      > through the files section first, with no success. Any suggestions of how to
      > learn how to input and use terminal applications in an easy to follow step
      > by step manner? Thank you, Gabrielle.
      > >

      > I'm not sure how the latest Ubuntu's unity works, but as you guessed,
      > you open the terminal application.
      >
      > So....there you are at a command prompt. Now, typing kismet was a good
      > idea, and might have opened it. Unfortunately, apparently it didn't.
      > Many programs have some documents.
      >
      > Ahhh, even though this is for Ubuntu 7.04, it will probably work.
      >
      > http://www.twistedethics.com/2007/04/25/how-to-setup-kismet-in-ubuntu-704/
      >
      > See if that's useful.
      >
      > --
      > Scott Robbins
      > PGP keyID EB3467D6
      >
      > All: We can face anything.
      > Anya: Except for bunnies

    • Gabrielle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
        Thank you to all that responded. Looks like I have some reading to do. You provided what I was looking for. Especially the site for learning the shell. I will let you know how it goes and if I have any more questions after studying up for a bit. Thank you again, Gabrielle.