Ubuntu 11.04 Dislike

  • Ron Osborne
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 18, 2011
      I have recently upgraded to the latest Ubuntu and thoroughly dislike it.  I've used Ubuntu for years and am not up on all of the current distros out there, and I would like to know if it would be better to downgrade to 10.10 or to look for another distro?  If another distro, which one?

    • loyal_barber
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 26, 2011
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:

        > Linux people like to invite others.

        <snip>

        > Linux Mint is admittedly somewhat unstable by them.

        Say what? First, Linux Mint by virtue of being a derivative of
        Ubuntu has exactly the same LTS schedule as Ubuntu. There is
        nothing particularly unstable in Mint that was not created by
        Ubuntu. So I really don't know what you mean by unstable.

        > This is as the Ubuntu
        > 10.10 and 11.04 because they are not LTS. If you like a desktop background
        > more like windows than install Ubuntu 10.10.

        <snip>

        > It may be most practical to just install Debian which is about the most
        > mature Linux 'flavor' without the bells and whistles as Windows users get
        > addicted to.

        I would never recommend Debian to a newbie. Distros like Ubuntu,
        Kubuntu, Mint etc have dramatically improved the setup, hardware
        recognition because of using a newer kernel without stripping the
        "proprietary" bits out. I would however love to see the face of
        the Newbie user who does install Debian the first time they boot
        and all they get is the command line. That would be priceless!

        <snip>

        > People have continually complained about all the "bloatware" that Micro$oft
        > adds to Windows.

        First, I do agree with you. Second, I think what people mean by
        bloat is not only do you get a lot of stuff installed (which is
        not inherently bad) but much of it is useless crap you will never
        need or want. I don't need the full install of AOL or a second
        wireless configuration tool to compete with the one already built
        into Windows. I don't need 35 icons on my desktop most of which
        call up the Internet Exploder browser which I won't use anyway.
        Don't even get me started on MS Outhouse Express.

        Many Linux distros could be accused of having bloatware. By
        default they install office applications, photo editing, media
        players etc. The reason I don't believe that Linux is accused of
        bloatware like Windows is that what Linux adds is useful and
        productive. Windows is not installing an office application they
        are installing applications, firewalls, etc that you will never
        use.

        > Please do not listen to people telling you how you need to be some computer
        > whiz to run Linux and carry the tales.

        Amen brother! Preach it!

        > gerald philly pa usa

        Thanks for your overall very well written email. I think most
        Windows users have someone else set up their machine while most
        Linux users set up their own. This is something were us Linux
        enthusiasts really need to address. Install-fests are dying so
        I think a more clever option is needed. Of course I have not
        figured it out yet.

        Loyal