Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Linux mint

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 16, 2011
      Mint uses GNOME 2.x for its main version. There is a a KDE version that
      comes out about a month later and also an XFCE version. Ubuntu has for years
      packages codecs and flash in the ubuntu-restricted-extras. This is one
      package to install. If you cannot install one package then you should not be
      using Linux. It is a basic Linux skill to install software. It takes little
      time and effort. As of Ubuntu 10.10 you can install codecs in Ubuntu by
      simply checking a box on the installer. That is not hard. Thereafter you
      will get the codec when you upgrade versions. How lazy can people get? Even
      in Windows users must install some codecs and Flash.

      We are splitting hairs. Mint is no longer Ubuntu with codecs. It is now
      Ubuntu with GNOME 2.x as the default interface. That is a much more stronger
      defining point. The question is what will Mint 12 be?

      Roy

      Using Kubuntu 11.04, 64-bit
      Location: Canada

      On 14 June 2011 06:53, Darren Moore <dazndom@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > the advantages are these....Mint has all the codecs for audio and video
      > already installed....as well as java and flash !!!!!
      > they have also installed more programs than just basic old UBUNTU
      > Ubuntu is just the basics and YOU have to go and add all the extras and
      > discover the best APPS yourself!!!!!
      >
      > Mint generally uses the KDE desktop rather than Gnome but you can get both
      > ... or others !!!
      >
      > I have used Mint but there is better out there .....
      >
      > Have you discovered Ultimate Edition yet ???
      >
      > www.ultimateedition.info or www.ultimateeditionoz.com
      >
      > mate Ultimate Edition has all the bells and whistles already installed too.
      > There is a number of distros under this label, depending on your "LIKES" and
      > how old your machine is...
      >
      > I run Ultimate Edition 2.9 on my desktop and Ultimate Edition - OzUnity on
      > my laptop
      >
      > Forums are really good, there are some really smart dudes involved and the
      > artwork and graphics are excellent. 3D special effects are enabled, they
      > have there own App repository and theme repository
      > and it aint called ULTIMATE EDITION for nothing
      >
      > go check it out
      >
      > Have fun
      > Daz
      >
      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "William V" <william32062000@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I was wondering what the advantages are runing linux mint over any others
      > if there is any at all.. I have used Ubuntu and lubuntu but I my computer
      > mint is working the I've only been using Linux for about a year so I'm new
      > to it ...GUI On mint is the best iv used so far

    • loyal_barber
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 26, 2011
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:

        > Linux people like to invite others.

        <snip>

        > Linux Mint is admittedly somewhat unstable by them.

        Say what? First, Linux Mint by virtue of being a derivative of
        Ubuntu has exactly the same LTS schedule as Ubuntu. There is
        nothing particularly unstable in Mint that was not created by
        Ubuntu. So I really don't know what you mean by unstable.

        > This is as the Ubuntu
        > 10.10 and 11.04 because they are not LTS. If you like a desktop background
        > more like windows than install Ubuntu 10.10.

        <snip>

        > It may be most practical to just install Debian which is about the most
        > mature Linux 'flavor' without the bells and whistles as Windows users get
        > addicted to.

        I would never recommend Debian to a newbie. Distros like Ubuntu,
        Kubuntu, Mint etc have dramatically improved the setup, hardware
        recognition because of using a newer kernel without stripping the
        "proprietary" bits out. I would however love to see the face of
        the Newbie user who does install Debian the first time they boot
        and all they get is the command line. That would be priceless!

        <snip>

        > People have continually complained about all the "bloatware" that Micro$oft
        > adds to Windows.

        First, I do agree with you. Second, I think what people mean by
        bloat is not only do you get a lot of stuff installed (which is
        not inherently bad) but much of it is useless crap you will never
        need or want. I don't need the full install of AOL or a second
        wireless configuration tool to compete with the one already built
        into Windows. I don't need 35 icons on my desktop most of which
        call up the Internet Exploder browser which I won't use anyway.
        Don't even get me started on MS Outhouse Express.

        Many Linux distros could be accused of having bloatware. By
        default they install office applications, photo editing, media
        players etc. The reason I don't believe that Linux is accused of
        bloatware like Windows is that what Linux adds is useful and
        productive. Windows is not installing an office application they
        are installing applications, firewalls, etc that you will never
        use.

        > Please do not listen to people telling you how you need to be some computer
        > whiz to run Linux and carry the tales.

        Amen brother! Preach it!

        > gerald philly pa usa

        Thanks for your overall very well written email. I think most
        Windows users have someone else set up their machine while most
        Linux users set up their own. This is something were us Linux
        enthusiasts really need to address. Install-fests are dying so
        I think a more clever option is needed. Of course I have not
        figured it out yet.

        Loyal