Re: [LINUX_Newbies] logical drive

  • tessaract three
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11 5:29 PM
      i did a normal ubuntu install, but when it asked if i wanted it
      side by side with windows i clicked"yes"---what it did was install
      onto 85 gig of logical partition i had left over from deleting another
      operating system---my windows system is fine, but i wondered whether,
      as it stands now if the windows system crashed would the ubuntu in
      logical partition still boot ---i wanted a backup os in case anything
      happened to windows---sorry i was unclear, hope this is a little
      clearer ---when i installed it there was no indication that it was
      using wubi at any time---

      Message 2 of 4 , May 11 8:01 PM
        On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 07:29:15PM -0500, tessaract three wrote:
        > i did a normal ubuntu install, but when it asked if i wanted it
        > side by side with windows i clicked"yes"---what it did was install
        > onto 85 gig of logical partition i had left over from deleting another
        > operating system---my windows system is fine, but i wondered whether,
        > as it stands now if the windows system crashed would the ubuntu in
        > logical partition still boot ---i wanted a backup os in case anything
        > happened to windows---sorry i was unclear, hope this is a little
        > clearer ---when i installed it there was no indication that it was
        > using wubi at any time---

        Ok, that's fine. As long as a Windows crash didn't damage the partition
        structure, and the chances are that it won't, you should be fine. I'm
        assuming when the computer boots, you see grub (the Linux menu),
        correct? If so, you should almost certainly be able to boot into
        Ubuntu even if Windows crashed.

        Spike: What's this? Sittin' around watching the telly while
        there's evil still afoot? It's not very industrious of you. I say
        we go out there and kick a little demon ass! What, can't go
        without your Buffy, is that it? Let's find her! She is the chosen
        one, after all. Come on! Vampires! Grrr! Nasty! Let's annihilate
        them, for justice, and for... the safety of puppies... and
        Christmas, right? Let's fight that evil! Let's kill something!
        Oh, come on!