Re: Hope this isn't too Newbie for a Newbies Group

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:

      > hey ken... ya u have a project to upgrade the old box as best possible.
      > Hopefully you do know about a RAM Upgrade ? It is a simple stick of
      > memory you plug into an empty row inside the computer box. This is
      > completely specific to model and make but some memory stores online have
      > instant search boxes typing the info in to show what is available. The
      > older the pc the more you have to hunt for anything left for it.
      > Generally the RAM memory stick upgrade is the memory stick the same size
      > as came with the box so that for yours the most common available would
      > be another 64M Ram stick. I call it a stick because they are about or a
      > little smaller than a pocket comb and you get gold connectors rather
      > than brass (rusts, corrodes). Don't forget your "static straps" - 5
      > bucks radio shack (prevents static arcing across electronic board,
      > damages).
      >
      > LINKS http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/addmemory.mspx
      > Edge is pretty good, great on shipping, honest
      > http://www.edgetechcorp.com/ http://www.edgetechcorp.com/memory/
      >
      > You can also hunt around Microsoft or the pc manufacturer for any dial
      > up modem upgrade that is usually retrieved through Windows Updates. May
      > find an upgrade increasing processor power. I got that an old compaq
      > v.92 modem.

      Putting money into aged PCs is often good money after bad. I've difficulty suggesting it even for the time investment. So I can't in good conscience recommend it. But everyone has to weigh the values for themselves.

      BTW I looked at Edge they're honestly pretty high priced. I could buy a whole new to me PC for less than they're asking for RAM I could use! An example of how poor economy upgrading can be.

      $90 Pentium 4 3.0 GHz W/ 1 GB RAM
      http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WSYS195N-NOHDD-PB-2R&cat=SYS

      $108 for 256MB which would bring me up to 768MB
      http://www.edgetechcorp.com/ram/Standard-DIMMs/PC800-Rambus/184%252dpin-non%252dECC/R2184RU256MN230816-Memory

      Hmm lets see almost $20 more for 256MB RAM less and 1 GHz CPU less of a PC ... Nah I think I'll pass. Although the Asus is probably on its last legs and ready to blow a cap any day now.

      This is what I went with:

      http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/934/comporder.png

      Now I'm set for 10 years. Priceless!
    • loyal_barber
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:

        > If that wasn't clear... in other words a 64M RAM Upgrade would give you
        > now 128M RAM. They generally have extra various sizes according to
        > model. You may even find a 128M RAM add in bringing total to 192M
        > RAM.... I don't think you'll find much bigger and still that is
        > atrocious today. I would consider chucking it actually but keep the
        > monitor especially if the Processor is like less than 600 Megahertz.

        The Pentium 2 maxed out at 450 MHz. I would give the idea a pass!

        <snip>

        Loyal
      • john_howard_morgan
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <kshansen@...> wrote:

          > I have an older HP computer, not this one, that has a Pentium II processor and 64 MB Ram.
          >
          > Would this be a good candidate for Linux and if so any particular version? Just looking for something to play around with, maybe surf the web email and such.

          As everyone else has said, you'll need to upgrade your RAM, and unless you can buy some cheap module(s) on eBay it's probably not worthwhile, But you could put a really lightweight distro like DSL on ii, just for the learning experience, and to discover the pleasure of having a computer that doesn't crash all the time :-)
        • J
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
            On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 13:05, loyal_barber <loyal_barber@...> wrote:

            > The Pentium 2 maxed out at 450 MHz.  I would give the idea a pass!

            That depends on what the OP is interested in accomplishing...

            I agree (and posted so) that the experience is going to be far from
            stellar, but maybe he likes a challenge?

            Heh... just reminds me of why I actually paid money for a TRS-80... I
            have it hooked up in my office opposite my normal workspace :-)
          • g.linuxducks
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
              Debian has the "Net Install" that does that. Minimum files and download
              the rest when you are there. That can be done on ethernet broadband/dsl
              or wirelessly. look for term Net Install.

              On 3/31/2011 9:44 PM, Chris Becker wrote:
              > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM, dlp<dvdposton@...> wrote:
              >> Puppy will run on it. Puppy is base on Ubuntu.
              >>
              >> david
              > Will the Puppy Linux live CD boot on 64 MB? Even Barry's version
              > (wary) is around 80 MB, and the whole thing needs to load in RAM
              > right? I suppose if you had formatted a swap partition ahead of time,
              > or copied the files off the CD directly onto the harddrive for a
              > frugal install, there would be no issue. Is there a boot option
              > needed to only load essential files instead of the entire thing?
              >
              >> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:26:31 -0400
              >> J<dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

              >>> Yeah... you're going to be hard pressed to get any modern linux
              >>> running on that... You may be able to get one of the small distros
              >>> like Puppy or Damn Small Linux running on it. It's possible you can
              >>> get something with no GUI running like a server oriented distro, or
              >>> something along those lines.
              >>>
              >>> To be honest, it's been forever since I ran anything with 64mb of RAM.
              >>> If you can find more RAM somewhere and get it to 256 you'll have a
              >>> much better chance. It'll still be horribly slow, but a lot better
              >>> than with 64MB.
              >>>
              >>> Cheers
              >>>
              >>> jeff
              >> --
              >> dlp

            • g.linuxducks
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
                >>>Note sure where you are seeing prices at but I did my 256M RAM
                Upgrade from them at I believe it was 30 or forty dollars and FREE
                shipping via 3rd day ground. Look again.

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
                  --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "john_howard_morgan" <john_howard_morgan@...> wrote:

                  > As everyone else has said, you'll need to upgrade your RAM, and unless you can buy some cheap module(s) on eBay it's probably not worthwhile, But you could put a really lightweight distro like DSL on ii, just for the learning experience, and to discover the pleasure of having a computer that doesn't crash all the time :-)

                  Oh come on are other offerings really all that bad today? Folks I talk to that run other than Linux tell me they don't crash these days. Though honestly they don't seem to do much else either.
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Sent from a mobile device.

                    On Apr 1, 2011, at 8:01 PM, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote

                    > Oh come on are other offerings really all that bad today? Folks I
                    > talk to that run other than Linux tell me they don't crash these
                    > days. Though honestly they don't seem to do much else either.

                    I use window xp daily for work, and have for the last decade. Last
                    time it
                    crashed on me was around four years ago when a five year-old hard
                    drive died. I think The improved stability may have a lot to do with the
                    use of a dual core processor, as I do have programs that lock up often,
                    which in the old days would require a button reset. Now those locked
                    programs just stay on the one core and I am able to cntrl-alt-delete to
                    pull up the task manager and kill it.

                    However, after installing dragon dictation on my wife's netbook (which
                    just
                    has the one core),w she has seen the ole blue screen a few times. Don't
                    know if there is any validity to that dual core hypothesis, it is just
                    my theory.

                  • g.linuxducks@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 1, 2011
                      One point with the Netbook is like you look at the antivirus products
                      that came out as "Optimized For Netbook" as a reference to software
                      usage on netbooks. The netbook runs on tiny voltages - much tinier than
                      desktop electronic components. . You can try softwares but if they bog
                      down and are slow - you may cause damages. Generally, if they run smooth
                      and somewhat fast like you would expect on a desktop they should be
                      fine. Any roadhog resource monster software is going to be very bloated
                      on a netbook and will be very slow in response to anything and I would
                      not use it. This has been my experience on a couple years on netbooks.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2011
                        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Chris <usabecker@...> wrote:

                        > Sent from a mobile device.
                        >
                        > I use window xp daily for work, and have for the last decade. Last
                        > time it
                        > crashed on me was around four years ago when a five year-old hard
                        > drive died.

                        I cannot hold the OS responsible for a hardware failure. Unless it caused it of course. I recall something about Redhat installs breaking CD-ROM drives a number of years ago. But only if they were jumper-ed Cable Select. Although looking up the issue now it may have been more of a myth than a fact. I do remember Microsoft thrashing HDDs a lot back when I used it.

                        I don't want to say how old the HDDs are in this box ... I just might jinx myself! It runs 24/7 too.
                      • Ken
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2, 2011
                          Well I have a listing on the local Free Cycle to see if anything shows up. If not might just put it on the shelf next to the Vic20!

                          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:

                          > hey ken... ya u have a project to upgrade the old box as best possible.
                          > Hopefully you do know about a RAM Upgrade ? It is a simple stick of
                          > memory you plug into an empty row inside the computer box. This is
                          > completely specific to model and make but some memory stores online have
                          > instant search boxes typing the info in to show what is available. The
                          > older the pc the more you have to hunt for anything left for it.
                          > Generally the RAM memory stick upgrade is the memory stick the same size
                          > as came with the box so that for yours the most common available would
                          > be another 64M Ram stick.
                        • Joan Leach
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 3, 2011
                            What about those that will run on a DOS partition? Distrowatch had some that were like that, but some may be out-dated now.
                            Joan in Reno

                            > Puppy will run on it. Puppy is base on Ubuntu.
                            >
                            > david

                            Will the Puppy Linux live CD boot on 64 MB?  Even Barry's version
                            (wary) is around 80 MB, and the whole thing needs to load in RAM
                            right?  I suppose if you had formatted a swap partition ahead of time,
                            or copied the files off the CD directly onto the harddrive for a
                            frugal install, there would be no issue.  Is there a boot option
                            needed to only load essential files instead of the entire thing?

                            > On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:26:31 -0400
                            > J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 17:22, Ken <kshansen@...> wrote:
                            > > > I have an older HP computer, not this one, that has a Pentium II processor and 64 MB
                            > > > Ram.
                            > > >
                            > > > Would this be a good candidate for Linux and if so any particular version? Just looking
                            > > > for something to play around with, maybe surf the web email and such.
                            > >
                            > > Yeah... you're going to be hard pressed to get any modern linux
                            > > running on that... You may be able to get one of the small distros
                            > > like Puppy or Damn Small Linux running on it. It's possible you can
                            > > get something with no GUI running like a server oriented distro, or
                            > > something along those lines.
                            > >
                            > > To be honest, it's been forever since I ran anything with 64mb of RAM.
                            > > If you can find more RAM somewhere and get it to 256 you'll have a
                            > > much better chance. It'll still be horribly slow, but a lot better
                            > > than with 64MB.
                            > >
                            > > Cheers
                            > >
                            > > jeff
                            >
                            > --
                            > dlp

                          • john_howard_morgan
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 3, 2011
                              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

                              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "john_howard_morgan" <john_howard_morgan@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > As everyone else has said, you'll need to upgrade your RAM, and unless you can buy some cheap module(s) on eBay it's probably not worthwhile, But you could put a really lightweight distro like DSL on ii, just for the learning experience, and to discover the pleasure of having a computer that doesn't crash all the time :-)
                              > >

                              > Oh come on are other offerings really all that bad today? Folks I talk to that run other than Linux tell me they don't crash these days. Though honestly they don't seem to do much else either.

                              Perhaps the computers running that other operating system, that I am occasionally obliged to use, have it in for me :)

                              Mostly though it's just the long wait, sitting around for boot time to pass. This XP system I'm using here seems to take forever, and the previous one sometimes just gave up on boot completely, I suspect the owners didn't actually understand their machines, and things have slowly slid from bad to worse over the years.