Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Udate on VirtualBox usb problem

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2011
      Glad you figured it out. I did not include that because usually you can't
      get anything to run (not just usb) without adding your name. Sometimes you
      miss the obvious solution. Good for you!

      Roy

      Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
      Location: Canada

      On 28 January 2011 22:09, james_jolin <james.jolin@...> wrote:

      > Roy and others,
      > Solved the usb problem...it turns out you have to have your usrname in the
      > vboxusers group. I clicked on System and went to manage users and groups.
      > Added my username to vboxuser group and all is well. Hope I explained this
      > well.
      > Jim

    • james_jolin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2011
        Ok, guys/gals. I just updated virtualbox to the latest and now I get this message when starting virtualbox
        Result Code:
        NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
        Component:
        Host
        Interface:
        IHost {35b004f4-7806-4009-bfa8-d1308adba7e5}
        Callee:
        IMachine {662c175e-a69d-40b8-a77a-1d719d0ab062}

        Looked at lsusb and lspci with no help.
        Anybody got any ideas.
        Jim
      • Jon B
        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2011
          Jim,
          Good morning.

          Is your local username part of the vboxusers group? Sometimes Virtualbox will not run at all until this is true. Also are you VMs in a folder that your username has permissions to? Sometimes this can get in the way.. if the storage folder is under your /home/<yourusername> directory, this should not be an issue.

          jon

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "james_jolin" <james.jolin@...> wrote:

          > Ok, guys/gals. I just updated virtualbox to the latest and now I get this message when starting virtualbox
          > Result Code:
          > NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
          > Component:
          > Host
          > Interface:
          > IHost {35b004f4-7806-4009-bfa8-d1308adba7e5}
          > Callee:
          > IMachine {662c175e-a69d-40b8-a77a-1d719d0ab062}
          >
          > Looked at lsusb and lspci with no help.
          > Anybody got any ideas.
          > Jim

        • James Jolin
          Message 4 of 6 , May 20, 2011
            On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Jon B <jontheisguy@...> wrote:

            > Jim,
            > Good morning.
            >
            > Is your local username part of the vboxusers group? Sometimes Virtualbox
            > will not run at all until this is true. Also are you VMs in a folder that
            > your username has permissions to? Sometimes this can get in the way.. if the
            > storage folder is under your /home/<yourusername> directory, this should not
            > be an issue.
            >
            > jon
            >

            > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "james_jolin" <james.jolin@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Ok, guys/gals. I just updated virtualbox to the latest and now I get this
            > message when starting virtualbox
            > > Result Code:
            > > NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
            > > Component:
            > > Host
            > > Interface:
            > > IHost {35b004f4-7806-4009-bfa8-d1308adba7e5}
            > > Callee:
            > > IMachine {662c175e-a69d-40b8-a77a-1d719d0ab062}
            > >
            > > Looked at lsusb and lspci with no help.
            > > Anybody got any ideas.
            > > Jim
            > >
            > Jon,

            Well this turned out to be strange. I had already checked user groups as I
            made that mistake once before. So I brought up vb once more and it said
            there was a new version. So I downloaded it and it was the same as the one
            I thought had already installed. So I reinstalled and everything is working
            . My guess is the first install ran amok. Thanks for the input.
            Jim

          • Roy
            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2011
              You need to be running the PUEL version directly from VirtualBox.org. The
              OSE version in the repositories does not support usb. If you are already
              running PUEL then I would remove and re-install. You may have to re-boot to
              get it to work as modules are loaded before the GUI starts. Re-installing
              should not affect the virtual machines, at least it hasn't for me. My
              machines are years old and I have done countless re-installs and even
              replaced two computers in that time.

              Roy

              Using Kubuntu 11.04, 64-bit
              Location: Canada