Sharing broadband with band controller

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2011
      Hi guys I`m a network admin in my job. Listen in my work have a link of 8Mb and the big question is:
      My boss want what i divide the broadband in 2 groups. One with 5mb and the other with the rest of band. I use squid proxy server with delaypools rules, but i don`t get the real work function. Please someone can help me about that.
      Regards.
      Thanxs a lot.
    • grantrocket2
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Herman" <herman_leao@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys I`m a network admin in my job. Listen in my work have a link of 8Mb and the big question is:
        > My boss want what i divide the broadband in 2 groups. One with 5mb and the other with the rest of band. I use squid proxy server with delaypools rules, but i don`t get the real work function. Please someone can help me about that.
        > Regards.
        > Thanxs a lot.

        While this is unrelated. I want your internet.
        I get 200KB/S on a good day. 8MB/S is epickly fast!!!
      • dbneeley
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
          To improve your Web performance, you can set up your Hosts file to exclude a list of known advertising sites...there are a number of these lists around you can download for free. After that, popular sites that have embedded ads will not even attempt to load them, resulting in less needless traffic and much faster load times.

          Eight megabytes would be roughly 64 Mb (too lazy to do the math on the 1024/M question, as many are going to straight decimal anyway). It would be unusual to speak of an 8 megabyte connection in this context.

          It happens that here in Donetsk, local providers have been in a sort of price and performance war. Our present contract began at 5 Mb/sec for about $12 per month. The price has stayed the same, but the speed has continued to increase--first 10, then 12, then 30, and now at 60 Mb/sec download speed (although by test on my wireless G-connected laptop, upload throughput is slower, at about 40 Mb/sec.

          Not bad for $12, actually. (I say "about $12" because it's actually 99 Ukrainian griven, each of which is presently about twelve cents.

          Offsetting this, unfortunately, is the fact that the DNS service from our ISP sucks. At times, it can take fifteen or twenty seconds to make a connection the first time, whereupon loading the site is extremely fast.

          It is by far the fastest and cheapest connection I have had.

          David

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@...> wrote:

          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Herman" <herman_leao@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi guys I`m a network admin in my job. Listen in my work have a link of 8Mb and the big question is:
          > > My boss want what i divide the broadband in 2 groups. One with 5mb and the other with the rest of band. I use squid proxy server with delaypools rules, but i don`t get the real work function. Please someone can help me about that.
          > > Regards.
          > > Thanxs a lot.
          > >

          > While this is unrelated. I want your internet.
          > I get 200KB/S on a good day. 8MB/S is epickly fast!!!

        • Hugo Azevedo
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
            Hi, Herman.
            There are many way to do this, because it depends of your infrastructure. If your Proxy (squid) is also your Firewall (iptables), on the same equipament, one way you can do it is:

            GROUP1 = 5Mb (dinamic
            IP)
            GROUP2 = 3Mb (IP range: 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.70)
            PROXY is working with the port 3128 and the workstation is using this PROXY

             * Go to the DHCP server and link the MAC addresses of the GROUP2 with a IP addresses. It necessary, because you will book 5Mb through the workstations IP address and this address cannot change some days later;
            * Go to the Firewall. In this equipament, you need to use the commands: IPTABLES (table mangle) and TC (traffic control). The TC command is a little hard to learn, but it's not impossible;
            ** Put in a file the following lines:

            #!/bin/bash
            # RULE THAT DELETE THE QDISCS IF IT IS ALREADY CONFIGURED
            tc qdisc del dev eth0 root

            # RULE THAT SET THE ROOT QDISC (1:0)
            tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1:0 htb default 100

            # RULE THAT SET THE CLASSES (1:1) AND WHAT INTERFACE WILL BE CONTROLLED
            tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:1 htb rate 100mbit

            # CLASSES
            (here is the more important - SET THE BOOKED SPEED)
            tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 1kbit ceil 3000kbit prio 0 # GROUP2 (3000kbit)
            tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:100 htb rate 10mbit ceil 100mbit prio 1 # GERAL (100mbit or the NIC speed)

            # IPTABLES (MANGLE - Redirect que traffic to pass through the FIRST classe above)
            iptables -t mangle -F
            iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -m iprange --dst-range 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.70 -p tcp --sports 3128 -j CLASSIFY --set-class 1:10 # HTTP, HTTPs and FTP
            iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -m iprange --dst-range 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.70 -j CLASSIFY --set-class 1:10  # The other protocols

            This file must be executable (chmod u+x) and put in "/etc/rc.local"

            I know that these commands above are not friendly, but I will explain better later. I did it very fast and I can not reviewed. But it will give you a direction you can follow.

            Any questions, please, ask me. Regards,
            Hugo
            AzevedoCertificado / Certified: LPI-1, NCLA e NDCTS
            www.hugoazevedo.eti.br
            "Na caixa dizia: Requer Micro$oft Windows ou superior, então eu instalei o GNU/Linux!"
            "On the box said: Requires Micro$oft Windows or better, so I installed the GNU/Linux!"

            EVANGELHO - A-
            A+ — O Senhor esteja convosco.  — Ele está no meio de nós. — PROCLAMAÇÃO do Evangelho de Jesus Cristo + segundo Mateus. — Glória a vós, Senhor! Naquele
            tempo, disse Jesus aos seus discípulos: 7“Pedi e vos será dado! Procurai e achareis! Batei e a porta vos será aberta! 8Pois todo aquele que pede recebe; quem procura encontra; e a quem bate a porta será aberta. 9Quem de vós dá ao filho uma pedra, quando ele pede um pão? 10Ou lhe dá uma cobra, quando ele pede um peixe? 11Ora, se vós, que sois maus, sabeis dar coisas boas a vossos filhos, quanto mais vosso Pai que está nos céus dará coisas boas aos que lhe pedirem! 12Tudo quanto quereis que os outros vos façam, fazei também a eles. Nisto consiste a Lei e os Profetas”. - Palavra da Salvação. - Glória a vós, Senhor.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@...> wrote:

              > While this is unrelated. I want your internet.
              > I get 200KB/S on a good day. 8MB/S is epickly fast!!!

              I only get 13.26 Mb so 8 MB is almost 5 times faster than me!

              http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/581/speedtesty.png

              But I'm OK with what I have. So it takes me about 7 minutes to download a whole CD. I'm patient :)
            • grantrocket2
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 8, 2011
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@> wrote:
                > >
                > > While this is unrelated. I want your internet.
                > > I get 200KB/S on a good day. 8MB/S is epickly fast!!!
                > >

                > I only get 13.26 Mb so 8 MB is almost 5 times faster than me!
                >
                > http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/581/speedtesty.png
                >
                > But I'm OK with what I have. So it takes me about 7 minutes to download a whole CD. I'm patient :)

                Wow, seven whole minutes. It takes me HOURS on a good connection to test out the latest and greatest *nix distros.
                For any record being kept here, my internet is a wireless brodband modem, and i'm on the fringe of the network. The lazy arses over at verision/at&t/bright house, don't beleive there is any money to be had if they lay a cable down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

                [/rant]

                Ok i'm good now.
              • John Randall
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 8, 2011
                  The name of the game is nag nag and nag and then nag some more......

                  Bombard them or whosoever you can complain to, with letters,emails and keep it
                  up until you get somewhere.

                  John

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 8, 2011
                    Many on this list will remember when dial-up was the best we could get. I go back far enough to recall painfully slow modems operating at 300 baud, transmitting text only to and from a bulletin board on a direct link. By contrast, any sort of broadband seems infinitely better.

                    That said, it also seems impossible to go backwards. We grow very quickly accustomed to truly fast speeds.

                    I also well remember a project in California, working with a programmer back in Texas. He sent frequent updates to the code, which I was lucky indeed to get at 5 kilobits per second. By contrast, many times I am disappointed these days if a download is "only" at 5 Mb... a thousand times faster than that old project. How times have changed!

                    Today, the speed for many things I download is constrained not so much by the link speed to my ISP (nor, at 60 Mbits would I expect it to), but by the various servers on the Internet itself. If I can get a connection with a source that is only two or three hops, the download flies. That is not so common, though it would be far more so if I were downloading Russian or Ukrainian language materials like my stepson does from relatively close-by servers. (I live in Ukraine).

                    My stepson is accustomed to watching movies stored on one of our ISP's servers as streaming video; the best I can do with television shows or movies is to download them via bit torrent to watch later. Fortunately, a 350 MB television program will often download in fifteen minutes or so, but can at times take many hours.

                    At present, I am experimenting with various DNS alternatives to see if I can improve that part of the equation.

                    David

                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > While this is unrelated. I want your internet.
                    > > > I get 200KB/S on a good day. 8MB/S is epickly fast!!!
                    > > >

                    > > I only get 13.26 Mb so 8 MB is almost 5 times faster than me!
                    > >
                    > > http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/581/speedtesty.png
                    > >
                    > > But I'm OK with what I have. So it takes me about 7 minutes to download a whole CD. I'm patient :)
                    > >

                    > Wow, seven whole minutes. It takes me HOURS on a good connection to test out the latest and greatest *nix distros.
                    > For any record being kept here, my internet is a wireless brodband modem, and i'm on the fringe of the network. The lazy arses over at verision/at&t/bright house, don't beleive there is any money to be had if they lay a cable down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.
                    >
                    > [/rant]
                    >
                    > Ok i'm good now.

                  • loyal_barber
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 8, 2011
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "dbneeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:

                      > Many on this list will remember when dial-up was the best we could
                      > get. I go back far enough to recall painfully slow modems operating
                      > at 300 baud, transmitting text only to and from a bulletin board on
                      > a direct link. By contrast, any sort of broadband seems infinitely
                      > better.

                      Wow, David, you must be my age. Remember cheating the speed of the
                      modem up to 350 or 400 baud?

                      > <snip>

                      Thanks for the memory
                      Loyal
                    • dbneeley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 8, 2011
                        Loyal,

                        I also remember Linux at version 0.96 or 0.97, I believe, when the most popular distribution was from Yggdrasil.

                        FYI, I have somehow arrived at the advanced age of 61.

                        david

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
                          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@...> wrote:
                          > Wow, seven whole minutes. It takes me HOURS on a good connection to test out the latest and greatest *nix distros.
                          > For any record being kept here, my internet is a wireless brodband modem, and i'm on the fringe of the network. The lazy arses over at verision/at&t/bright house, don't beleive there is any money to be had if they lay a cable down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.
                          >
                          > [/rant]
                          >
                          > Ok i'm good now.

                          I'm in the middle of nowhere too, but my road is paved and I have a fiber connection. You know I almost felt bad for them when they had to run over a 900 foot drop off the pole to me. I got a good sized front yard.

                          As far as things go my connection is about a third slower than what it should be, but they throttle the whole spur I'm on. Not like we all have much of a choice out here.