Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Dual boot-up

  • John Randall
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2010
      Hi, It was just a precaution as I had a problem when I installed ubunto on the
      same hd. It took over the mbr ( master boot record ) and I could not boot into
      win xp. Ended up reformating and aquired a 2nd hd. So when I installed linux on
      the 2nd hd, I disconnected win xp hd as a precaution.

      When you boot after the install with both hd's running you should get a linux
      boot menu. With me Linux always boots first now and I have to change the option
      to boot to win xp.

      I suggest that you place linux on another drive.

      John

      ________________________________
      From: John Randall <m0els@...>
      To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 30, 2010, 9:11 AM

      My pc a compaq presario which allows me to dual boot with a menu on startup.

      Cannot remember if I had to download the app from hp/compaq, or if it was in the

      bios. Just a tip, when you install linux on the other hd, disconnect you windows

      hd, just incase linux takes over the mbr. Boot from the linux cd and install on

      the hd you selected. Once done then reconnect your windows hd. Rather safe than

      sorry.

      John (Newbie)

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
        Windows XP and later actually has its own boot loader. Normally, Ubuntu does not disable that--but it is possible to coax the install routine to screw things up a bit where booting XP is concerned.

        Normally, though, if you simply instruct the install routine to keep the existing Windows install, it will do so and access both through the default boot loader called Grub2. (FYI, GRUB stands for "grand unified bootloader").

        Grub's boot menu is relatively easy to change to reflect Windows as your default boot option. On my Kubuntu system, I have an app called "startupmanager" that allows you to check a simple drop-down to determine which entry is the default.

        As for dual hard disks--there are advantages to having two disks. For one thing, I would have a swap partition on the second disk rather than on the disk holding the respective OS--and Windows, too, can have a partition set up for its own swap instead of the slower dynamic file used as a default. For Windows, too, I'd consider having the operating system on a different disk than the application programs. For optimal performance, then, on a two disk system I would wind up with the basic Windows install on one partition of the first disk, Linux on the second partition of the same disk. On the second disk, I'd have a partition for Windows applications, a small one for Windows swap, a small one for Linux swap, and a relatively large one for data--probably an NTFS partition that could be shared by both OSs. (Sorry, I know Windows doesn't call its swap file "swap"--IIRC it's something like "Virtual memory"...it's been too long since I've messed with that stuff since I've been mostly using notebooks with single hard disks).

        By the way, having the Widows virtual memory or "swap" file a fixed size actually speeds up the performance a bit compared to having a dynamic one.

        David

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "dbneeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:

          > Windows XP and later actually has its own boot loader.

          Hey that is great news but as I understand it even MS-DOS came with a boot loader. Do you mean a fully featured Boot Manager by chance?

          My knowledge of Microsoft products ends abruptly in 1996 when I began running GNU/Linux full time. Which had the side effect of sparing me of a lot of the eXPerience.

          Sometimes ignorance really is bliss ...

          Paul
        • David Poston
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
            John
            Unless you did an full install, grub would have given you an menu for linux with win xp. Always have for me.
            david

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
              This is not the normal situation. Usually there is no problem. In your case
              it sounds as if the installation did not complete for whatever reason. This
              should not be taken to be the norm. Ubuntu always takes over the MBR as you
              say, but it also includes Windows XP in the grub menu. Failure to do this is
              the exception rather than the rule. Your advice to install to another drive
              is therefore an extreme reaction based on limited experience.

              Most users can expect Ubuntu to happily share a drive with Windows and allow
              you to boot into either OS. Windows is not removed unless you decide to do
              so. Reformatting is an over reaction. You can rewrite grub from the Live CD
              or can restore Windows own bootloader from the Windows CD.

              Roy

              Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit

              > --- On Fri, 12/31/10, John Randall <m0els@...<m0els%40yahoo.co.uk>>
              > wrote:
              >

              > Hi, It was just a precaution as I had a problem when I installed ubunto on
              > the
              > same hd. It took over the mbr ( master boot record ) and I could not boot
              > into
              > win xp. Ended up reformating and aquired a 2nd hd. So when I installed
              > linux on
              > the 2nd hd, I disconnected win xp hd as a precaution.
              >
              > When you boot after the install with both hd's running you should get a
              > linux
              > boot menu. With me Linux always boots first now and I have to change the
              > option
              > to boot to win xp.
              >
              > I suggest that you place linux on another drive.
              >
              > John
              >

              > ________________________________

            • dbneeley
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
                Windows boot managers have some limitations you should be aware of, and I would not call them "fully featured" if you want to run Linux as one of the choices. There is a good explanation of all this at http://www.optimizingpc.com/install/multiboot_bootmanager.html

                Personally, I would stick with GRUB, even on a disk where you want to run various versions of Windows and no Linux at all.

                David

                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "dbneeley" <dbneeley@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Windows XP and later actually has its own boot loader.
                >
                > Hey that is great news but as I understand it even MS-DOS came with a boot loader. Do you mean a fully featured Boot Manager by chance?
                >
                > My knowledge of Microsoft products ends abruptly in 1996 when I began running GNU/Linux full time. Which had the side effect of sparing me of a lot of the eXPerience.
                >
                > Sometimes ignorance really is bliss ...
                >
                > Paul

              • John Randall
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Hi, I could not boot from the Windows XP cd nor from the rescue disk, hence the
                  reformat and aquiring a 2nd hd. I could boot from the Ubuntu cd, but not from a
                  Windows system cd. When I reformatted the hd, it was okay again.

                  Yes, boot from cd was selected in bios etc etc, but it just would not boot with
                  Windows.

                  John

                  ________________________________
                  This is not the normal situation. Usually there is no problem. In your case
                  it sounds as if the installation did not complete for whatever reason. This
                  should not be taken to be the norm. Ubuntu always takes over the MBR as you
                  say, but it also includes Windows XP in the grub menu. Failure to do this is
                  the exception rather than the rule. Your advice to install to another drive
                  is therefore an extreme reaction based on limited experience.

                  Most users can expect Ubuntu to happily share a drive with Windows and allow
                  you to boot into either OS. Windows is not removed unless you decide to do
                  so. Reformatting is an over reaction. You can rewrite grub from the Live CD
                  or can restore Windows own bootloader from the Windows CD.

                  Roy

                  Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit

                  > --- On Fri, 12/31/10, John Randall <m0els@...<m0els%40yahoo.co.uk>>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > Hi, It was just a precaution as I had a problem when I installed ubunto on
                  > the
                  > same hd. It took over the mbr ( master boot record ) and I could not boot
                  > into
                  > win xp. Ended up reformating and aquired a 2nd hd. So when I installed
                  > linux on
                  > the 2nd hd, I disconnected win xp hd as a precaution.
                  >
                  > When you boot after the install with both hd's running you should get a
                  > linux
                  > boot menu. With me Linux always boots first now and I have to change the
                  > option
                  > to boot to win xp.
                  >
                  > I suggest that you place linux on another drive.
                  >
                  > John
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  Links

                • Roy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 5, 2011
                    As I said, this is not the usual case and therefore you should not make
                    generalisations based on anomalies. Usually Ubuntu can share a drive and
                    grub installs where it should. Should this not be enough then there is
                    always the option to manually choose where to install Ubuntu and what drive
                    to write grub to. I have multiple booted for years with as many as four
                    different grubs on separate drives with as many as 17 partitions and have
                    not yet lost Windows. My Windows installation is still the original that
                    came with the computer. If it can be done in the extreme then a simple dual
                    boot is not a problem, as long as you know what you are doing.

                    Next time google 'reinstall grub from Ubuntu Live CD' and that is the easy
                    fix for the problem. The Windows bootloader is next to useless. It does not
                    recognise any OS other than Windows, as if nothing else could ever exist.
                    Worst case scenario is to re-install Ubuntu and have it finish installing
                    grub. It takes a fraction of the time that it takes to re-install Windows.
                    Unless of course you enjoy installing. ;)

                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD

                    Roy

                    Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
                    Location: Canada