Expanding linux partitions

  • grantrocket2
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2010
      Ran out of space :( so I freed up space in windows, partitoned it as a blank partition. Then booted a live boot cd with gparted. It shows the whole disk as unalocated space. Whats going on? I just want to add the empty 10GB partition to the linux partition.
    • Roy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2010
        Using the Live CD (because you cannot work from a mounted partition) you
        need to resize the Ubuntu partition (larger) using the freed up space now
        designated as unallocated. This is either complicated or not depending on
        your partition setup. If they are not adjacent then you may have to move the
        Ubuntu partition. If Ubuntu is in an extended partition then you will have
        to enlarge the extended partition first then enlarge the Ubuntu logical
        partition inside the available space in the extended partition. I find that
        parted works better if you do it in separate steps (resize then apply, etc),
        but that is up to you. Personally I would advise you to use the freed space
        to make a separate home partition using the larger partition for home and
        the smaller one for root. This may mean re-sizing Ubuntu smaller if it is on
        the larger partition and resizing th eunallocated to make up the difference.

        Separate partitions for home and root are preferred for many reasons, but it
        makes life simpler in the long run because you never need to format it and
        can re-use it with each re-installation of the OS. Just something to
        consider while you are partitioning.

        See: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

        Roy

        Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
        Location: Canada

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2010
          I tried using the live boot Cd. Wouldent detect my partitions, said someting about overlapping partitions and bad scecktors. So I removed the MBR header. It then detected my partitions, I then moved them, and tried to reinstall GRUB. No go. Manual boot of partition next. No OS found. So it was obvious I had trashed my partition. :(
          Reinstalled mint 9. Pulled it up. Found out mint 10 has been released. CRAP.
          Installed all the updates, reinstalled my programs (I did have a program list backup file) reloaded my home folder ( I love backups).
          Just about everything is back to normal. Only lost my firefox bookmarks.
        • loyal_barber
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2010
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@...> wrote:

            > <snip>Only lost my firefox bookmarks.

            Try xmarks. Not only will you not lose your bookmarks due to failure
            on a specific machine, but you can access your bookmarks on other
            machines.

            Loyal
          • Roy
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 25, 2010
              Sorry that it did not go smoothly, but glad that you are back up and
              running. Mint 10 is good. I installed it on my wife's machine. She is a
              Windows user, but is managing well enough in linux with Windows also in a
              VM.

              For FF bookmarks you can use XMarks, but it went down for a time. It could
              not afford to keep running, but has an investor or buyer. It and is back but
              I would not rely on it because it is due to change. Use Dropbox to sync the
              bookmarks file or FF now has its own sync service.

              https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10868/

              Roy

              Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
              Location: Canada