Fedora 14

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2010
      I am using F14. Things are generally going well. However, package
      management is a bit confusing. I can install from the command line
      using yum and rpm or from Yumex with the GUI. But for some strange
      reason, neither Packagekit nor Add/ Remove Software work. I get the
      same error. I get no such table: packages and package list needs to be
      rebuilt. It says to use the backend to fix it. I have done this from
      yum using the commandline, but it does not seem to do anything in
      Add/Remove or Packagekit.

      It is mystifying. I am used to Ubuntu where apt and Synaptic are
      basically the same thing. If one works the other will. If Synaptic
      works then Software Centre will too.

      Roy

      Using Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, 64-bit
      Location: Canada
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
        On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:33:02PM -0400, Roy wrote:
        > I am using F14. Things are generally going well. However, package
        > management is a bit confusing. I can install from the command line
        > using yum and rpm or from Yumex with the GUI. But for some strange
        > reason, neither Packagekit nor Add/ Remove Software work. I get the
        > same error. I get no such table: packages and package list needs to be
        > rebuilt. It says to use the backend to fix it. I have done this from
        > yum using the commandline, but it does not seem to do anything in
        > Add/Remove or Packagekit.

        In theory, PackageKit works in conjunction with yum.

        The fact that it isn't is probably a bug--on the other hand, I think the
        vast majority of Fedora users stick with yum--in part because, with
        Fedora often being broken, one is better off using the command line to
        see what's going on.

        > It is mystifying. I am used to Ubuntu where apt and Synaptic are
        > basically the same thing. If one works the other will. If Synaptic
        > works then Software Centre will too.

        In theory it should. In theory, theory and practice are the same,
        in practice, they often aren't. :)

        My own experience with F14--been using it since the Beta came out on my
        workstation at work--has been pretty decent. Some undocumented changes
        in the way they do ldap clients--they've broken /etc/ldap.conf into two
        files, pam_ldap.conf and nss_ldap.conf, but that's the way Linux goes,
        let's complicate the already complicated and not tell anyone.

      • Roy
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
          I find it very snappy. It seems to be noticeably faster than Kubuntu or
          Ubuntu. I am now trying out their GNOME interface. Can't say that I was
          crazy about the wallpaper -- broken glass with anime style graphics. That
          went first thing. I wonder why I prefer the Fall even numbered releases
          which is opposite to K/Ubuntu where I prefer Spring odd numbered ones. I
          think that it is for the same reason. They are trying to do less and
          everything works better as a consequence.

          I have given myself a challenge. I am spending one month in a different
          distribution for a year. I am blogging the results. This month it is F14.
          Next month who knows? Arch is on my list. I will keep Kubuntu 10.10 around
          just in case. It is working great, so it is nice to have a fall back.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
            On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:10:59AM -0400, Roy wrote:
            > I find it very snappy. It seems to be noticeably faster than Kubuntu or
            > Ubuntu. I am now trying out their GNOME interface. Can't say that I was
            > crazy about the wallpaper -- broken glass with anime style graphics. That
            > went first thing. I wonder why I prefer the Fall even numbered releases
            > which is opposite to K/Ubuntu where I prefer Spring odd numbered ones. I
            > think that it is for the same reason. They are trying to do less and
            > everything works better as a consequence.

            They also have silly names, it's a good thing no one uses them. This one
            is called Laughlin, which most of us call Laugh-in. The next one is to
            be called Lovelock. The possibilities for jokes are endless. :)

            Now, I haven't used its default config, but on a VMware server (that is,
            expensive commercial type with 32 GB of RAM, paid VMware ESX and so on),
            we tried using a more or less default Fedora and Ubuntu. The Ubuntu one
            is noticeably slower. Again, these are more or less default desktop
            installs (for various reasons, we didn't go with the server or more
            minimal installs---these are for our developers.)

            > I have given myself a challenge. I am spending one month in a different
            > distribution for a year. I am blogging the results. This month it is F14.
            > Next month who knows? Arch is on my list. I will keep Kubuntu 10.10 around
            > just in case. It is working great, so it is nice to have a fall back.

            I know you prefer, especially as an advocate, those with GUIs, but I
            suspect you'll like Arch, and be refreshed by how easy it is to find
            documentation.

          • Roy
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
              My latest headache with Fedora involves KDE. I can't get any sound to
              work besides System Sounds. No sound with Flash or even playing media
              files. Nada. I switched to GNOME and everything is working fine. This
              leads me to believe that the KDE version is faulty. It couldn't be
              anything that I have done. :)

              When switching to another distro (which I am far from new at) it is
              hard to know what is due to the distro itself or your something that
              you ave done or not done. since everything is different it takes
              awhile to feel grounded which is why i gave a month for each
              distribution. My only regret will be that I will only try 12
              distributions in a year. Usually I get to try more but spend less time
              with each.

              I have lots of help with Arch so I may call upon it. I am a bit rusty
              with the CLI and my typing is atrocious. Arch will have to wait for
              another day. I am full steam ahead with Fedora.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
                On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 12:08:18PM -0400, Roy wrote:
                > My latest headache with Fedora involves KDE. I can't get any sound to
                > work besides System Sounds. No sound with Flash or even playing media
                > files. Nada. I switched to GNOME and everything is working fine. This
                > leads me to believe that the KDE version is faulty. It couldn't be
                > anything that I have done. :)

                My own experience with Fedora is that it is less gnome-centric than it
                used to be--these days, sound usually works out of the box for me, more
                or less, even after doing a minimal installation, then adding things
                later.

                I haven't (yet) seen much on the forums about sound with KDE. Of
                course, it just came out, and I think the majority use Gnome.

                If I see something, especially a trend, on the forums about it, I'll
                post here.

                Buffy: You're a vampire. Oh, I'm sorry. Was that an offensive
                term? Should I say undead American?
              • J
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
                  On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:30, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                  > Now, I haven't used its default config, but on a VMware server (that is,
                  > expensive commercial type with 32 GB of RAM, paid VMware ESX and so on),
                  > we tried using a more or less default Fedora and Ubuntu.  The Ubuntu one
                  > is noticeably slower.  Again, these are more or less default desktop
                  > installs (for various reasons, we didn't go with the server or more
                  > minimal installs---these are for our developers.)

                  Out of curiosity, when running Ubuntu on VMWare, do you run the stock
                  Ubuntu kernel or the -virtual one? We actually have a kernel designed
                  to be run in virtual machines which may be a bit snappier than the
                  stock desktop kernels.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
                    On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 02:58:18PM -0400, J wrote:
                    > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:30, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Now, I haven't used its default config, but on a VMware server (that is,
                    > > expensive commercial type with 32 GB of RAM, paid VMware ESX and so on),
                    > > we tried using a more or less default Fedora and Ubuntu.  The Ubuntu one
                    > > is noticeably slower.  Again, these are more or less default desktop
                    > > installs (for various reasons, we didn't go with the server or more
                    > > minimal installs---these are for our developers.)
                    >
                    > Out of curiosity, when running Ubuntu on VMWare, do you run the stock
                    > Ubuntu kernel or the -virtual one? We actually have a kernel designed
                    > to be run in virtual machines which may be a bit snappier than the
                    > stock desktop kernels.

                    We've been running the stock. However, I'm actually going to reinstall
                    it, maybe next week--was supposed to be this week, but you work in IT,
                    you know how THAT goes--with a more minimal installation. These
                    machines, web scrapers, are very heavily loaded, with a load, usually,
                    of at least 7 or 8. We're also running 10 of them on this machine.
                    (Semi-ironically, a Dell)

                    So, when I put in the new one, I'll definitely use the virtual kernel.

                    Thanks, as always.