Re: Newbie who sought Linux info back again

  • dbneeley
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 8, 2010
      I owned and rode a BMW R90/6 for a bit over eight years, during which I rode it for about 165,000 miles (It was my only vehicle, first living in Florida, then in California).

      I was contemplating buying another bike when I met my wife...and one promise she insisted upon was that my biking days were over at that point. As a physician here in Ukraine, she had worked in enough emergency rooms to have seen various people who had been mangled in bike wrecks.

      It was a concession I was willing to make, but not particularly happy about a the time. Even today, I wouldn't mind getting a scooter or a small bike had I not made such a commitment.

      David

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Simpson <cs@...> wrote:

      > On 08Oct2010 13:43, loyal_barber <loyal_barber@...> wrote:
      > | --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@> wrote:
      > | >
      > | > My dad has a Honda VTX1800C... no side-car... I really need to get a
      > | > bike. Not sure my Mrs. would ride with me though... heh...
      > |
      > | Put her on the back of a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra
      > | Glide. Did it for my wife. She says it is like sitting in a
      > | barcolounger.
    • desertrat
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2010
        Loved my 80GSs but after my son kept wrecking them, they became
        unavailable having been replaced by 100GS that was too big for my
        taste. Had a 100LT for a bit afterwards but now the whole line has
        priced me out of BMWs
        Earle

        At 12:02 AM 10/9/2010, you wrote:

        >I owned and rode a BMW R90/6 for a bit over eight years, during
        >which I rode it for about 165,000 miles (It was my only vehicle,
        >first living in Florida, then in California).
        >
        >I was contemplating buying another bike when I met my wife...and one
        >promise she insisted upon was that my biking days were over at that
        >point. As a physician here in Ukraine, she had worked in enough
        >emergency rooms to have seen various people who had been mangled in
        >bike wrecks.
        >
        >It was a concession I was willing to make, but not particularly
        >happy about a the time. Even today, I wouldn't mind getting a
        >scooter or a small bike had I not made such a commitment.
        >
        >David
      • Septymus Spyder
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2010
          Hey Papsmurf,

          I'd not recommend having your local PC repair shop wipe the hard drive,
          as they will charge you for a service you can perform yourself for the
          cost of burning a CD.

          I prefer an application called System Rescue CD, which you can download
          on line. Simply burn it to a CD, pop it in the new drive, and when you
          get to the boot menu, select the Floppy image to display a sub menu.
          The application you want to use is DBAN, which allows you to securely
          and permanently erase the hard drive.

          The CD also gives you a ton of other tools you can use as you need.
          There are a lot of free options available if you want to securely erase
          a hard disk drive, and this is only one of them.

          Septymus Spyder

          On 10-10-07 09:06 AM, papasmurf wrote:
          > A BIG THANK YOU to all you folks who took the time to answer my info request! Have MUCH information to digest and learn!
          > 'New' dual core tower will, hopefully, arrive in 2 weeks. Might have local pc repair shop wipe h.d. in this pc to start Linux with a clean slate.
          > Question: Whatever happened to a program I remember, called Linspire?
          > I understand t'was supposed to mimic Windows screen layout, so folks learning Linux would be less intimidated.
          > Am going to pursue suggestion to locate a local Linux club or working group. THAT might be BEST thing I could do!
          > TTFN.....OLD Tom aka papasmurf in NH
          > P.S. Am life-long HO model railroader[alas, have no layout right now]
          > and wife/yours truly have old Goldwing sidecar rig; ride it all over New England area as much as we can[just celebrated our 50th Anniv.].

        • Darksyde
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 26, 2010
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "papasmurf" <papa.smurf5@...> wrote:

            > A BIG THANK YOU to all you folks who took the time to answer my info request! Have MUCH information to digest and learn!
            > 'New' dual core tower will, hopefully, arrive in 2 weeks. Might have local pc repair shop wipe h.d. in this pc to start Linux with a clean slate.
            <snip>

            Hi, Tom. There's an online continuing-education program which has an "Intro to Linux" course. The course lasts for six weeks and it is sufficiently challenging yet flexible enough for adults who have other things going on in their lives. It uses the previously-mentioned SimplyMEPIS distro which is good for newbies. (My only problem with it is that I don't like KDE at all, but that's just a matter of preference.)
            Anyway, below is the link to the page in case you'd like to check it out. You'll need to check to find the nearest college that uses it (there's a link for that on the page) and arrange payment for the course (I think it was $65 here). It's really a decent value for the money.
            Mark
            http://www.ed2go.com/CourseDetails.aspx?query=linux&course=ilx&tab=detail