Help removing Ubuntu 9.04

  • rkzbos
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2010
      Hello, I am a Linux newbie and I need help removing Ubuntu 9.04 from my PC.

      My PC has XP, so one day I bought a Linux magazine that came with
      a Live CD with Ubuntu 9.04. So I thought I would try installing it to then have two operating systems on my PC.

      I searched all around and I can not find the exact instructions I need.
      Which is removing Ubuntu 9.04 without messing up my other (XP) operation system.

      Thank you for your help.
      Jack
    • Roy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2010
        You will need your Windows CD to remove grub and restore the Windows boot
        manager to the MBR. Ubuntu will still be there, but in Windows you can
        format that partition with NTFS and remove Ubuntu. If you do not want a
        second partition then you will need a utility to delete the partition and
        enlarge your Windows one.

        see: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic74042.html

        Roy

        On 19 September 2010 15:46, rkzbos <jackrossini@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I am a Linux newbie and I need help removing Ubuntu 9.04 from my PC.
        >
        > My PC has XP, so one day I bought a Linux magazine that came with
        > a Live CD with Ubuntu 9.04. So I thought I would try installing it to then
        > have two operating systems on my PC.
        >
        > I searched all around and I can not find the exact instructions I need.
        > Which is removing Ubuntu 9.04 without messing up my other (XP) operation
        > system.
        >
        > Thank you for your help.
        > Jack

      • Septymus Spyder
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2010
          After you have removed the grub manager from the MBR, you can use a USB
          drive with System Rescue CD installed on it to re-size the drive. it
          includes a few utilities to manage partitions.

          Here's a link to the main site: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

          Before you make any changes, though, the one, most important thing is to
          take everything on your XP installation that you wish to keep and make a
          backup. There are tons of utilities to do so, and many of them are free.

          The XP backup utility works well if you're backing up your entire
          profile (and wish to restore using XP), but if you want to be able to
          restore to other operating systems, you'll need to use a third party
          solution. Personally, I simply copy files to an external hard drive.

          If everything is in the same place (My Documents) and you don't have
          anything saved elsewhere you want to keep, then you can copy the
          directory (C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\My Documents) to an
          external drive. For full safety, I recommend backing up the entire
          C:\Documents and Settings\ folder, as many hidden files and folders will
          be there.

          Septymus Spyder