Ubuntu in VM Player in Windows 7

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
      Ahhh! I see. (the lights go on)

      What are your thoughts on VM Player? Where do you get your VMs?

      (I did not want to hijack someone's thread so am starting a new one.)

      Roy

      On 8 July 2010 00:37, iloveubuntulinux <valchaulinux@...> wrote:

      we have to run Windows 7 in the classroom where I teach Linux so
      we use the VMWare Player for the various Linuxes I want to show the
      class
    • iloveubuntulinux
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
        VMPlayer now is much better than it was in the past - but it still annoys me to some extent because I am accustomed to using Linux natively on my laptop or desktop at home. So the extra effort to pop back into Windows or to expand the screen to fit the classroom's screen is annoying. But it certainly is faster than it was in the past. And Ubuntu 10.04 is a much more interesting and user friendly system than even the Ubuntu 9.10 was; and I have been using Ubuntu since 2006.

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:

        > Ahhh! I see. (the lights go on)
        >
        > What are your thoughts on VM Player? Where do you get your VMs?
        >
        > (I did not want to hijack someone's thread so am starting a new one.)
        >
        > Roy
        >
        > On 8 July 2010 00:37, iloveubuntulinux <valchaulinux@...> wrote:
        >

        > we have to run Windows 7 in the classroom where I teach Linux so
        > we use the VMWare Player for the various Linuxes I want to show the
        > class

      • Roy
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
          The competition is VirtualBox from Oracle and I made the switch way back
          when it was still owned by Innotek. I used to use VMWare extensively and
          wondered how it stacks up now. I know that it is much harder to install or
          used to be, as it required some compiling and agreeing to licenses in a
          terminal window. That would put off all but hardcore users when VirtualBox
          is so much simpler for newbies. Then there is the creation of VMs which
          requires a license for one of their products which can either involve steep
          costs or a trial version that expires.

          Do you make your own VMs or get ones that others have made?

          Roy

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
            On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 08:53:12AM -0400, Roy wrote:
            > Ahhh! I see. (the lights go on)
            >
            > What are your thoughts on VM Player? Where do you get your VMs?

            VMware-player is availble for free, as in Free Diet Mountain Dew, at
            VMware's site, but you have to register and fill out a form, how many in
            your organization, blah blah, and watch out for the default checks of
            yes, you can send me email I won't look at. (I'm paraphrasing here.)
            :)

            It seems that the improvements and changes are in answer to VirtualBox
            It used to only be able to run prebuilt virtual appliances, hwoever, it
            can now be used in the same way as VirtualBox. It's rather reminiscent
            of VMware-server 1.x, before they changed VMware-server to the ESX like
            web interface.

            It still, I believe, handles allocation of resources somewhat better
            than VirtualBox. If I'm correct in this (and I may not be), if you give
            VirtualBox 4 GB of memory, that memory is now unavailable to the
            host system. With VMware, it will more dynamically allocate, that is,
            using a MAXIMUM of 4 GB, but, unless needed, letting the host system use
            it.

            Pretty nice interface--I haven't seen many benchmarks recently, my
            general impression is that speed of the guest system is usually around
            the same as VirtualBox, maybe a bit faster, maybe a bit slower. It does
            seem to take more CPU resuorces on the host than VBox, and is much
            larger--the install taking something like 800MB vs VBox's 300? (I've
            forgotten the size, to be honest.)

            VMware, of course, has been at this longer than anyone, and it's a
            pretty polished product. (Say that 5 times fast.) At this point, for
            my own personal needs, I don't see any real reason to switch from
            VirtualBox. Note that they do conflict with each other (and KVM
            conflicts with both), so that if you have both on the machine, you have
            to stop one before running the other.

            Xander: Dorkhead? You lash me with your words!
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
              On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 09:55:17AM -0400, Roy wrote:

              > Do you make your own VMs or get ones that others have made?

              Note that this is no longer necessary with VMware-player--as I
              mentioned, (I think), in my earlier post, and if not, I meant to, is
              that it's now like the VMware-server. 1.x where you can install a system
              from a CD, disk image, or anything else, just as you would with
              VirtualBox.

              Gunn: Fair Cordelia. You still savin' my life?
              Cordelia: Every minute.
              Gunn: How's that workin' out?
              Cordelia: You're alive aren't you?
            • J
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
                On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 09:55, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
                > The competition is VirtualBox from Oracle and I made the switch way back
                > when it was still owned by Innotek. I used to use VMWare extensively and
                > wondered how it stacks up now. I know that it is much harder to install or
                > used to be, as it required some compiling and agreeing to licenses in a
                > terminal window. That would put off all but hardcore users when VirtualBox
                > is so much simpler for newbies. Then there is the creation of VMs which
                > requires a license for one of their products which can either involve steep
                > costs or a trial version that expires.
                >
                > Do you make your own VMs or get ones that others have made?

                For what it's worth, I've run VMWare, ESX, VirtualBox, KVM and Xen on
                various systems over the years...

                For the class I teach, I'm lucky to have removable hard disk trays in
                all the lab systems so the students can do bare-metal installs over
                and over again. However, for working at home, I give them a CD with
                VMWare on it (Not player, I give the free vmware server) and
                instructions on how to create VMs and install into those...

                For what I do now (a lot of ISO/installation testing), I prefer VirtualBox.

                KVM is pretty neat, but does still require a bit of configuration to
                get it to do certain things.
                Xen is almost identical to KVM in that respect, but KVM is lighter and
                seems to me to be more stable (but that could be that I'm jaded after
                years of Xen testing).
                ESX is a great platform, IMHO, but the biggest problem I have with it
                is VMWare requiring a windows workstation to control it via VSphere.
                Server will work on any Windows (or linux desktop) and works well.
                Player I've never had a use for. I've never been able to find
                pre-made images that actually booted on any of my attempts at using
                player, so I just gave up on it and went with something more robust.

                VirtualBox has it's pros and cons too... easy to use right out the
                box, but configuring certain things can be a bit of a pain if you've
                never done them before (allowing the VMs to communicate with the host
                system via network, for example... But for my needs, beyond that one
                thing, VirtualBox does everything I need right out of the box.
              • Roy
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
                  I should give VMWare another shot. It has been awhile. It makes sense that
                  they would be competitive in terms of features. I thought that you must be
                  using VM Server to make VMs. Does it expire?

                  Recently rumours are that VMWare and Novell are in merger talks. That should
                  be interesting given Novell's history with networking and enterprise and
                  with VMWare having a foot in business virtualisation. It sounds like a good
                  fit.

                  Roy

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
                    We used VMServer one semester and it was too cumbersome for students to work with so we returned to using VMWare Player which is now faster and works better than it did even a year ago

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
                      On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 10:47:52AM -0400, J wrote:
                      > ESX is a great platform, IMHO, but the biggest problem I have with it
                      > is VMWare requiring a windows workstation to control it via VSphere.
                      > Server will work on any Windows (or linux desktop) and works well.
                      > Player I've never had a use for. I've never been able to find
                      > pre-made images that actually booted on any of my attempts at using
                      > player, so I just gave up on it and went with something more robust.

                      I think that the current versions of player are more like the older
                      versions of server, (which I preferred, compared to its current web
                      interface.) You no longer need to find an applicance, just install from
                      CD or whatever.

                      Giles: In order...to be worthy...you must perform the
                      ritual...in a tutu. Pillock!
                      Angel: All right, someone get the chain saw.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
                        On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 11:52:05AM -0400, Roy wrote:
                        > I should give VMWare another shot. It has been awhile. It makes sense that
                        > they would be competitive in terms of features. I thought that you must be
                        > using VM Server to make VMs. Does it expire?

                        I thought so too until three days ago when a friend told me about the
                        new version of player. If you mean, does it expire in the way a trial
                        version or the like expires, no, it's good for as long as you want.

                        Giles: Demons after money. Whatever happened to the still-beating
                        heart of a virgin? No one has any standards anymore.
                      • Roy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
                          Then I will give it a try! Thanks.

                          Roy

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 8, 2010
                            Since the IS dept has installed VMWare Player on all the PCs in the classroom I can make create as many VMs as I like on each computer and so can the students. It is very easy now