Multi-boot headaches

  • Donald Cooley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
      I know this is a linux forum but I also know many of us multi-boot.
      I need some help with installing and booting xp from a second hard
      drive. I know there is a lot of information on google but I am getting
      a migraine wading through it and restarting my machine with the xp
      installation disc.
      I know xp is being phased out but I need it for some games.

      I have slackware and openbsd on /dev/sda. No problems there. I bought a
      western digital caviar 680G
      <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=TSD-640AAKS%20TD>
      This is an oem drive. I used cfdisk to give it a ntfs of 100g and then
      formatted it with gparted. The problem I'm having is when I go to
      install Windows I get to the screen about using a partition and I get
      an error saying something like I don't have a valid xp partition. I've
      tried deleting and letting windows create a partition but it refuses.
      I was hoping to get this finished this weekend. Any help would be
      appreciated.

      --
      Regards,
      Donald Cooley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Donald Cooley <dfcooley@...> wrote:

        > I know this is a Linux forum but I also know many of us multi-boot.
        > I need some help with installing and booting xp from a second hard
        > drive. I know there is a lot of information on Google, but I am getting a migraine wading through it and restarting my machine with the xp installation disc. I know xp is being phased out but I need it for some games.
        >
        > I have slackware and openbsd on /dev/sda. No problems there. I bought a western digital caviar 680G
        > <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=TSD-640AAKS%20TD>
        > This is an oem drive. I used cfdisk to give it a ntfs of 100g and then formatted it with gparted. The problem I'm having is when I go to
        > install Windows I get to the screen about using a partition and I get an error saying something like I don't have a valid xp partition. I've tried deleting and letting windows create a partition but it refuses. I was hoping to get this finished this weekend. Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        > Donald Cooley

        http://www.cooldrives.com/mrsatrmorawi.html
        http://www.cooldrives.com/4posaiisw3ba.html

        The above links might solve some problems, no dual-boot required, swap out drives or select another one and boot. Because I think WinXP expects to be master OS. You'd have to hide the one hard drive from the other otherwise by way of another boot manager. This is why dual-boot usually starts from DOS or Windows.

        http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/Booting_Windows_on_second_HD_with_Grub

        http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/83683-install-windows-second-hard-drive-while-linux-first-hard-drive.html

        I hope others can update those for you

        Joan in Reno
      • Donald Cooley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
          On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 02:20:29 -0000
          "chi_joan_pc" <jleach728@...> wrote:

          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Donald Cooley <dfcooley@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I know this is a Linux forum but I also know many of us multi-boot.
          > > I need some help with installing and booting xp from a second hard
          > > drive. I know there is a lot of information on Google, but I am
          > > getting a migraine wading through it and restarting my machine with
          > > the xp installation disc. I know xp is being phased out but I need
          > > it for some games.
          > >
          > > I have slackware and openbsd on /dev/sda. No problems there. I
          > > bought a western digital caviar 680G
          > > <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=TSD-640AAKS%20TD>
          > > This is an oem drive. I used cfdisk to give it a ntfs of 100g and
          > > then formatted it with gparted. The problem I'm having is when I go
          > > to install Windows I get to the screen about using a partition and
          > > I get an error saying something like I don't have a valid xp
          > > partition. I've tried deleting and letting windows create a
          > > partition but it refuses. I was hoping to get this finished this
          > > weekend. Any help would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Regards,
          > > Donald Cooley
          > >

          > http://www.cooldrives.com/mrsatrmorawi.html
          > http://www.cooldrives.com/4posaiisw3ba.html
          >
          > The above links might solve some problems, no dual-boot required,
          > swap out drives or select another one and boot. Because I think
          > WinXP expects to be master OS. You'd have to hide the one hard drive
          > from the other otherwise by way of another boot manager. This is why
          > dual-boot usually starts from DOS or Windows.
          >
          > http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/Booting_Windows_on_second_HD_with_Grub
          >
          > http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/83683-install-windows-second-hard-drive-while-linux-first-hard-drive.html
          >
          > I hope others can update those for you
          >
          > Joan in Reno

          I didn't trim to keep the context.

          Thank you for the links. Shouldn't
          windows be able to create a partition though? It "sees" the new hard
          drive alright. It lists the other disk and the new disk. It refuses to
          create a partition or use one I've created already with cfdisk or
          gparted. The error is something like "there is not a valid xp partition
          or file system" Sorry if I'm not explaining myself clearly.
        • Donald Cooley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
            On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 23:32:04 -0700
            "Jim Scott" <bsddaemon@...> wrote:

            > Not sure If I'm understanding this correctly,
            You are

            >you already have a
            > multi-boot system with slackware and OpenBSD and you're adding
            > another harddrive. I'm guessing that you are using GRUB in slackware
            > as the bootloader for it and OpenBSD, if so.

            That is also correct although I didn't make that clear.

            >The problem is that
            > Windows will want to write a new MBR (I think this occurs when
            > installing Service Packs as well or at least it used to), on the
            > first disk. You will probably have to disconnect the first disk,
            > install XP on your new drive then configure GRUB in Slackware with a
            > new entry for XP. I have usually done it when Windows is already
            > installed, and you can use GRUB or in OpenBSD's case GAG as the
            > bootloader.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Jim

            This has to be one of the dumbest things I have tried in
            awhile. In my defense I haven't used a Windows OS in sometime.
            Still... I got XP installed by disabling the first hard drive.
            XP didn't recognize any of my hardware. Why should it? It's an
            old OS by now. I'm going to attempt with windows 7
            (which, of course, I should have done in the first
            place). Crossing my fingers hoping it has good hardware
            detection.

            Thanks for the suggestions and I'll let the list know how it
            turns out if anyone is interested.

            --
            Regards,
            Donald
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
              Not sure If I'm understanding this correctly, you already have a multi-boot
              system with slackware and OpenBSD and you're adding another harddrive. I'm
              guessing that you are using GRUB in slackware as the bootloader for it and
              OpenBSD, if so. The problem is that Windows will want to write a new MBR (I