Re: Personal mp3 player recommendations anyone?

  • Darksyde
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 8, 2010
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, David Neeley <dbneeley@...> wrote:

      > You can buy a USB charger that simply plugs into the wall without a
      > computer or other USB device needed just to charge the batteries. The
      > one I had I think I paid under $10 for--and gave it away before moving
      > to Ukraine two years ago.
      >
      > That would make it simple for your dad to charge the thing and not
      > have to worry about changing batteries, while keeping a single cord
      > for syncing when you are around his place with your laptop.
      >
      > It would also reduce the concern about losing a dedicated charger, as
      > these are quite standard.
      >
      > David

      Not a bad idea at all, but if a charger should be included in the package this would be a plus.
      Thanks for your reply,
      Mark
    • loyal_barber
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 8, 2010
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking for a player for my father (Father's Day) and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Preferences (no particular order):
        > Rich sound, FM radio, Linux-friendly (Ubu or Deb), solid construction, replaceable battery (AAA) or non-USB chargeable (Dad doesn't own a computer), not manufactured in China, ease of operation(!). Tall order, eh? He will primarily be using the FM tuner but a few mp3 files would be great. I'll be loading the tunes for him on my laptop so it will need to sync w/ Amarok, Rhythmbox or similar. Finally, I would prefer to avoid Microsoft- and Apple-partnered companies.
        > Any suggestions?
        > Mark

        I have a 5 year old Creative Zen Sleek Photo with 20 GB hard drive.
        It has seen a lot of miles and a lot of play over those years. If
        you go to the Creative Labs web site, they have Linux drivers plus
        an area dedicated to open source solutions. In another post, I
        believe you said they are owned by M$. Not true. They are a
        publicly held company out of Singapore. The only thing I know
        of that they have in common is they supported (and may still) the
        standard "Plays for Sure" which was developed by M$ to create
        a standard for non-Apple devices. A note of interest is the Zune
        does not adhere to this standard. My Zen was built in Malaysia FWIW.

        Loyal
      • Darksyde
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 8, 2010
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "loyal_barber" <loyal_barber@...> wrote:

          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm looking for a player for my father (Father's Day) and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Preferences (no particular order):
          > > Rich sound, FM radio, Linux-friendly (Ubu or Deb), solid construction, replaceable battery (AAA) or non-USB chargeable (Dad doesn't own a computer), not manufactured in China, ease of operation(!). Tall order, eh? He will primarily be using the FM tuner but a few mp3 files would be great. I'll be loading the tunes for him on my laptop so it will need to sync w/ Amarok, Rhythmbox or similar. Finally, I would prefer to avoid Microsoft- and Apple-partnered companies.
          > > Any suggestions?
          > > Mark
          > >

          > I have a 5 year old Creative Zen Sleek Photo with 20 GB hard drive.
          > It has seen a lot of miles and a lot of play over those years. If
          > you go to the Creative Labs web site, they have Linux drivers plus
          > an area dedicated to open source solutions. In another post, I
          > believe you said they are owned by M$. Not true. They are a
          > publicly held company out of Singapore. The only thing I know
          > of that they have in common is they supported (and may still) the
          > standard "Plays for Sure" which was developed by M$ to create
          > a standard for non-Apple devices. A note of interest is the Zune
          > does not adhere to this standard. My Zen was built in Malaysia FWIW.
          >
          > Loyal

          Thanks for the info, my fellow Mint fan! The Zen goes back into consideration.
          Mark
        • David Neeley
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2010
            Another concern, I think, in selecting an MP3 player for non-geeks and
            especially for those of us "getting on in years."

            Many of these people do not care for MP3 players without a display and
            easily navigated menu. Often, folks want to listen to a particular
            song or series of songs to fit their activities or mood--and a player
            without a display makes that very difficult if not impossible.

            On the other hand, if your Dad likes many kinds of music and is
            willing to take it in somewhat random order, obviously a display is
            less necessary.

            Also, how is his eyesight? The tiniest displays can be a challenge to
            see for those who do not have perfect eyesight and especially for
            those with far-sightedness.

            Next, look at how easy the controls and menu are to operate. Some
            players are stuffed with features, and have what seems often like an
            endless series of choices to get to some of the simplest and most
            common options.

            If $85 isn't out of reach for your purchase, check out
            http://www.amazon.com/Durable-Flexible-Silicone-Armband-Charger/dp/B001C48HTO/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2

            This includes the Sansa Fuze 8 GB MP3 player, plus an 8 GB micro SDHC
            card, plus both a home and travel charger, protective soft skin and
            armband for carrying and listening to the player while taking the
            daily constitutional or whatever. The Fuze is also a great little
            player, if your dad can deal with the 1.7 inch screen. Sound quality
            is absolutely stunning.

            Speaking of sound quality, I don't know of any MP3 players that come
            with headphones that are worth much. There are some fairly good ones
            that are quite cheap. The best headphones I have ever had from a sound
            perspective were German, from Ultrasone. Unfortunately, they were also
            fairly fragile and broke within a few months of using them. However,
            the same speaker setup is now in a much more durable appearing
            headset, the UF30 from NuForce. These are noted for realistic sound
            and for having considerable volume without large sound pressure--the
            are far easier on the ears for extended listening. I plan on buying a
            pair when I am in the U.S. in August just to get back to that
            incredibly good sound. On the other hand, Ultrasone itself has
            introduced a redesigned portable set, the Zino, which is actually
            available for about $15 less than the NuForce units. Both are
            available from Amazon.

            I intend also to get a really good amp to drive my headphones when on
            the computer. By going with a USB-in unit, the sound quality can
            totally blow away anything directly connected to the laptop's audio
            port. However, depending on budget this may have to wait. Again,
            NuForce makes a terrific unit for this.

            David
          • grantrocket2
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2010
              Well I can recomend the sansa E200 with the rockbox O/S installed.
              I charge it from a printer with a usb port and connect to my laptop when I need more tunes. Its 2 or 4GB stock and can be upgraded with 32GB more memory. It is not a cheap player as refered to by someone else here. Got mine for $40 refurbished, then $10 for a 4gb expansion microsd card.
              Hope it helps.
            • Ray Drouillard
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2010
                re: USB

                Power-only USB supplies are common (you can get them at Wal-Mart.) My
                wife's cell phone was charged using one of those plug-in supplies, and
                we purchased another that fits into the cigarette lighter.

                We have at least one MP3 player that refuses to play when plugged into a
                real USB port (it goes into 'USB drive' mode,) but play (and charges)
                fine when powered by a supply (not the computer.)

                I like USB chargable items because it's more convenient (and
                inexpensive) than dealing with batteries.