Re: Linux on an external HD

  • Gabrielle
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29, 2010
      Thank you, thank you to everyone that responded! The computer my room mate has is a Gateway Media Center PC with plenty of plugs on it. The only reason I was looking into the 1TB HD's is because some of the 320GB ones are only about $10 less and so for the money, it seemed like you would have so much more for just a little extra cash. Plus, I have been looking into purchasing a laptop and most of them do not have very big HD's, so I thought I would be able to keep everything on one of these TB units and not clutter up a laptop. Thanks again. You all are the nicest computer related group I have ever encountered. I have been to computer type forums and such and most of them can be condescending and rude. Everyone here is very respectful and kind. I would recommend this group to anyone and already have. Have a great day.

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:

      > Yes. You can even install Linux to an 8 GB usb stick and it will run quite
      > well. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 from a 16 GB SD card on my netbook. I run
      > Fedora 12 from a usb external drives too. Check to see if your room-mate's
      > computer boots from usb first. Even if it doesn't it is possible to make a
      > CD to start the usb boot process; it just adds a second step. You could also
      > look into WUBI which installs Ubuntu in Windows without any partitioning.
      >
      > see http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
      > http://wubi-installer.org/
      > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi
      >
      > Roy
      >
      > On 29 May 2010 02:32, searcher1 <searcher125@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Linux can most certainly be run from an external HD. Before I upgraded my
      > > internal HD, I was using Ubuntu on an external HD for several months. Ubuntu
      > > was able to detect my computer's hardware automatically and could change the
      > > drivers automatically when I plugged the external HD into another computer.
      > > I am quite sure Mint can do likewise. You can choose not to mount the
      > > internal HD and nothing in there will be touched. I still use Puppy Linux on
      > > a USB pendrive and bring that with me everywhere I go.
      > >
      > > But 1 TB may be on the high side unless you are planning to install many
      > > distros. Mint will need about 20 GB only.
      > >
      > > Alex
      > >
      > > ________________________________

    • Chris Becker
      Message 2 of 9 , May 29, 2010
        Just make sure grub gets dumped on the ext HD, rather than the internal one. Btw... You're halfway to an inexensive netbook... I would just snag a cheap flashdrive for installation now, and keep saving up.

        Sent from a Windows Mobile device.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 29, 2010
          I have a eeePC 900 that came with a 160 GB HD with Windows XP on it. I use
          part of that for /home (50 GBs or so) and run Ubuntu 10.04 full version as I
          don't like the NBR interface on the SD card. I also have a eeePC 701 with a
          20 GB SSD that came with Xandros which sucks BTW (at least four years out of
          date) that uses 8 GBs and it has Windows XP in the remaining 12 GBs. I run
          several distributions from SD cards there.

          Both eeePCs and my desktop HP computer use the ESC key at boot time to bring
          up the built in boot manager. From that I can choose which device to boot. I
          always write grub to the drive on which it is installed and not the MBR.
          That way I can control the devices and even remove them without fouling up
          grub. This way everything in grub is (hd0,0) which means first drive first
          partition.

          When I use an external HD (1 TB) I use hd0 but vary the partition and write
          to MBR of the external HD. I have Fedora 12, MEPIS 8.5, Sidux and PCLinuxOS
          installed on that drive plus four large partitions for backup and data
          storage. I get plenty of practice fixing grub as each distro is better or
          worse for handling other installed distributions. Ubuntu detects everythign
          and is almost fail proof. Fedora on the other hand recognises little outside
          of Fedora. MEPIS, PCLOS and Sidux is quite good, but Sabayon on a separate
          drive does not pick up anything but itself. I usually have at least six or
          seven distros installed at one time plus more on several VMs.

          I will replace Fedora 12 with 13 shortly and try the new Mandriva and
          openSuSE when they are final. I should give Mint a try when it catches up to
          Ubuntu. Linux is great if you are a Linux junkie!

          Roy