Puppy Linux 5-- "Lucid Puppy"

  • David Neeley
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26 10:33 AM
      As you may know, the latest version of Puppy Linux has become
      Ubuntu-based. The live CD version is still only 128 MB, and it runs
      fine from CD or USB thumb drive.

      I've been playing with it today, running on a thumb drive (I used
      unetbootin to install it without problems).

      It's been many years since I looked at Puppy--and I must say I was
      somewhat blown away by the new version. Doing a few minor
      configuration tweaks was quick and easy; it automatically recognized
      and mounted all my partitions--including the NTFS partition--without
      issue out of the box. It played Windows media files and Flash Youtube
      video as well as .avi video files, quickly and correctly displayed
      .pdf files, read and extracted many different compressed formats--in
      short, it easily handled just about everything I could throw at it
      with no fuss or bother. Since it runs in memory, too, it is extremely
      fast.

      I can see where it an become fairly addictive--and it should be a
      Godsend to use on older equipment with limited resources. Besides
      Puppy's own repositories, it now fully supports the standard Ubuntu
      ones as well.

      If you haven't looked at it lately, you might try it out as I am doing
      and see what you think. I already know several old machines I'm going
      to recommend it for, in fact.

      David
    • J
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26 11:50 AM
        On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 13:33, David Neeley <dbneeley@...> wrote:
        > As you may know, the latest version of Puppy Linux has become
        > Ubuntu-based. The live CD version is still only 128 MB, and it runs
        > fine from CD or USB thumb drive.
        >
        > I've been playing with it today, running on a thumb drive (I used
        > unetbootin to install it without problems).

        Nope... I didn't know :-) but I do now...

        The screen shots look nice... I'm pulling the iso now and will try it
        out in a VM. I'm also curious to see how well everything will run on
        my little atom netbook. I looked at Puppy a while ago when trying to
        figure out if I could boot my S-10 from the SDHC slot, but since the
        card reader is not available to the BIOS, I can't do that :(

        But I can boot from USB... and maybe PCCard storage devices as well,
        if I ever get off my butt and buy one.

        Cheers,

        Jeff
      • chi_joan_pc
        Message 3 of 9 , May 26 11:53 AM
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, David Neeley <dbneeley@...> wrote:

          > As you may know, the latest version of Puppy Linux has become
          > Ubuntu-based. The live CD version is still only 128 MB, and it runs
          > fine from CD or USB thumb drive.
          >
          > I've been playing with it today, running on a thumb drive (I used
          > unetbootin to install it without problems).
          >
          > It's been many years since I looked at Puppy--and I must say I was
          > somewhat blown away by the new version. Doing a few minor
          > configuration tweaks was quick and easy; it automatically recognized
          > and mounted all my partitions--including the NTFS partition--without
          > issue out of the box. It played Windows media files and Flash Youtube
          > video as well as .avi video files, quickly and correctly displayed
          > .pdf files, read and extracted many different compressed formats--in
          > short, it easily handled just about everything I could throw at it
          > with no fuss or bother. Since it runs in memory, too, it is extremely
          > fast.
          >
          > I can see where it an become fairly addictive--and it should be a
          > Godsend to use on older equipment with limited resources. Besides
          > Puppy's own repositories, it now fully supports the standard Ubuntu
          > ones as well.
          >
          > If you haven't looked at it lately, you might try it out as I am doing
          > and see what you think. I already know several old machines I'm going
          > to recommend it for, in fact.
          >
          > David

          Yes, Puppy is fast, and it recovers better from video card problems than Ubuntu 10.4 did. All you use is control-alt-backspace and choose instead of letting it guess, just like Puppy 4.31. Puppy LuPu is thanks to Barry's Woof system, so there will be new Slackware, Debian and others eventually. The next Quirky Puppy may work with the newer HTML 5 video package system, too. Watch Barry's Blog:

          http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01614
          http://puppylinux.org/news/

          Have fun,
          Joan in Reno
        • Chris Becker
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26 1:57 PM
            Sent from a Windows Mobile device.

            > As you may know, the latest version of Puppy Linux has become
            > Ubuntu-based. The live CD version is still only 128 MB, and it runs
            > fine from CD or USB thumb drive.
            >
            > I've been playing with it today, running on a thumb drive (I used
            > unetbootin to install it without problems).

            Does anyone know the difference between puppy 5 and lucid puppy? Or are these the same thing? ~Chris

          • J
            Message 5 of 9 , May 26 8:26 PM
              On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 16:57, Chris Becker <usabecker@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know the difference between puppy 5 and lucid puppy?  Or are these the same thing?  ~Chris

              Same thing... Puppy Linud 5.0.1 is based on Ubuntu Lucid... thus Lucid Puppy :-)
            • chi_joan_pc
              Message 6 of 9 , May 26 8:39 PM
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Chris Becker <usabecker@...> wrote:

                > Sent from a Windows Mobile device.

                Same thing, as far as I know:

                http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55385
                http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01595
                http://www.itlure.com/2010/05/distro-hoppin-puppy-linux-50.html
                http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/05/17/puppy-linux-5-0/
                http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/puppy-linux-50-%E2%80%9Clucid-puppy%E2%80%9D-released

                http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55301
                ++This last is for the KDE-DPup, just in case you're curious.

                Have fun,
                Joan in Reno
              • David Neeley
                Message 7 of 9 , May 26 8:53 PM
                  "Lucid Puppy" *is* Puppy 5.0.

                  David

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 28 10:01 AM
                    > >> Does anyone know the difference between puppy 5 and lucid puppy? Or are these the same thing? ~Chris
                    >
                    > Same thing, as far as I know:
                    >
                    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55385
                    > http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01595
                    > http://www.itlure.com/2010/05/distro-hoppin-puppy-linux-50.html
                    > http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/05/17/puppy-linux-5-0/
                    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/puppy-linux-50-%E2%80%9Clucid-puppy%E2%80%9D-released
                    >
                    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55301
                    > ++This last is for the KDE-DPup, just in case you're curious.
                    >
                    > Have fun,
                    > Joan in Reno

                    Thanks all, for clearing that up for me!
                  • Roy
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 29 5:45 AM
                      They are the same thing. The latest Puppy Linux 5.0 is based on Ubuntu Lucid
                      Lynx which is a change as previously it was independently produced from
                      scratch. We will have to see whether this continues with future releases. I
                      am not sure whether this is permanent or just a trial balloon.

                      Roy