Re: [LINUX_Newbies] What distro's to try.

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2010
      Trying other distributions is the most computing fun that you can have for
      free. I have close to twenty partitions spread across three drives and have
      only Kubuntu representing Canonical at present. I also have Sabayon
      (Gentoo-based), PCLinuxOS 2010 (Mandriva-based), SimplyMEPIS 8.5
      (Debian-based), Sidux (Debian-based), openSuSE 11.2 and Fedora 12. I had
      Mandriva 2010 until I replaced it with PCLOS and Debian 5, but replaced it
      with Sidux. All distributions are different and have something going for
      them. It is a question of trying them and matching them with your personal
      preference and needs.

      Distributions that I really like are Fedora 12 (it is for intermediate
      users), PCLinuxOS (only comes in 32-bit, unfortunately) and SimplyMEPIS 8.5.
      Fedora is the most fiddly because you need to tweak it manually. PCLinuxOS
      works great out the box. It is an RPM based distribution that uses Synaptic.
      So if you want to try something really different and don't mind 32-bit then
      this distro might be for you. SimplyMEPIS is a KDE distribution that is
      closest to Debian stable.

      I like Sidux, but it is based on Sid (Debian unstable) and many people may
      find it not stable enough (I don't mind the bleeding edge for some reason).
      Also Debian's community is not known for its friendliness to new users (or
      old for that matter). You really need to mind your Ps and Qs around them.
      They don't mind excoriating or humiliating you over using the wrong term,
      like Linux, Firefox or Thunderbird. It is GNU/Linux, Iceweasel and Icedove,
      idiot!

      Speaking of communities, I really like Fedora's. The only problem for new
      users is that they usually speak way over your head and everything they
      suggest is commandline. Next to Ubuntu, Fedora has the best users.

      Arch is a great distro to try if you want to get back to basics. Sabayon is
      good if you want to give Gentoo a try without building from scratch. If you
      don't want to deviate far from the tree much then you could try Xubuntu,
      Lubuntu and Kubuntu.

      Check out Distrowatch.com for their top 100 list. So many distributions and
      so little time!

      Roy

      On 7 May 2010 06:19, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 01:28:23AM -0400, J wrote:
      >

      > > You can try CentOS to get a feel for what Red Hat Enterprise Linux is
      > > like (which is rather similar to Fedora with fewer boneheaded
      > > "features" (right Scott?).
      >
      > RH6 is going to be similar to F12-13 or so, with, as you say, a few of
      > the stupidities left out. The currently available RH/CentOS 5.x ,
      > however is running a kernel that's a few years old, 2.6.18, and the
      > versions of packages are far older. That being said, several
      > "improvements" aren't in 5.x, which is a good thing, but conversely,
      > many programs, e.g. the chromium browser, won't build easily because of
      > older versions of kernel and various libs.
      >
      > --
      > Scott Robbins
      > PGP keyID EB3467D6
      >
      > Xander: You were looking at my neck.
      > Angel: What?
      > Xander: You were checking out my neck, I saw that.
      > Angel: No, I wasn't.
      > Xander: Just keep your distance, pal.
      > Angel: I wasn't looking at your neck.
      > Xander: I told you to eat before we left.

    • Knowledge Seeker
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2010
        I was onto Ubuntu since 7.0, but with every new version Ubuntu seems to
        walk away from my laptop. With 9.0, it failed on my Athreos wifi card,
        started giving Kernel crash.

        With 10.1 when I tried installing from standard i386 image, my laptop
        hanged. When I tried installing from alternate CD. It failed to install
        at the step of installing 'base package', corrupted my MBR, so that I
        cant boot in my windows also. Somehow I mended my MBR to boot in WinXP.
        Ubuntu seem to be a far ship for me to sail .....now.

        BTW, my laptop might be bit old. Toshiba Satellite L20. Athreos Wifi,
        Celeron 1.3G, 2GB RAM, 40 GB linux dedicated partition (rest for my own
        and XP), additional SWAP partition, SlimLine DVD writer., ATI Radeon
        Express 200M graphics card.

        Message 3 of 16 , May 7, 2010
          On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 08:41:52AM -0400, Roy wrote:

          > I like Sidux, but it is based on Sid (Debian unstable) and many people may
          > find it not stable enough

          A quick aside--as preparation for the upcoming Toystory 3 I rewatched 1
          and 2. *Now* I remember why "Sid" was chosen for the unstable branch.

          Great movies by the way, Joss Whedon wrote, or helped write, the first
          one, don't know about 2 and the upcoming 3.)

          > Speaking of communities, I really like Fedora's. The only problem for new
          > users is that they usually speak way over your head and everything they
          > suggest is commandline. Next to Ubuntu, Fedora has the best users.

          I'd have to agree with that--as a former mod on their forms, I remember
          from my very first post how nice the respondents were. Very nice bunch
          of people, from the admins and mods on down. The developers vary, some
          really caring about the users and fighting for them, and others---well,
          never mind.

          > Arch is a great distro to try if you want to get back to basics.

          Also very nice and helpful people on the forums, as well as one of the
          best wikis around.

          Anya: You know, you can laugh, but I have witnessed a
          millennium of treachery and oppression from the males of the species,
          and I have nothing but contempt for the whole libidinous lot of them.
          Xander: Then why are you talking to me?
          Anya: I don't have a date for the prom.
        • Darksyde
          Message 4 of 16 , May 7, 2010
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "sgttutt2001" <sgttutt2001@...> wrote:

            > I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 which I like, but would it be worth to try another distro? I have a external HD that I would install it on. I know that everyone has their favorite one. Any recommendations would be welcomed.
            >
            > i am still a newbie to Linux.
            >
            > KT

            I'll second the recommendation of Mint, my first officially adopted distro, and second Debian as well. Fedora's nice, though I personally don't care for KDE. MEPIS is simple and straightforward (KDE again), but you may want to skip over (for now anyway) Damn Small Linux which is really only valuable (IMHO) if you have an older machine. Best bet: check out DistroWatch and burn a live disk of every one that sounds interesting.
            Mark
          • Roy
            Message 5 of 16 , May 7, 2010
              Fedora is either GNOME or KDE. Most associate Fedora with being a GNOME
              distro.

              Mint is a good distro, but I did not include Mint because he already has
              Ubuntu and Mint is just Ubuntu plus a few extras whereas SimplyMEPIS is
              Debian which is quite different. If he wants a different experience then he
              should avoid Mint. However, if he had started with something other than
              Ubuntu then Mint would be an obvious choice.

              I did not mention openSuSE. It also is worth trying although it is not
              newbie friendly IMO.

              Roy

              On 7 May 2010 13:21, Darksyde <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "sgttutt2001" <sgttutt2001@...> wrote:
              > >id
              > > I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 which I like, but would it be worth to try
              > another distro? I have a external HD that I would install it on. I know that
              > everyone has their favorite one. Any recommendations would be welcomed.
              > >
              > > i am still a newbie to Linux.
              > >
              > > KT
              > >
              > I'll second the recommendation of Mint, my first officially adopted distro,
              > and second Debian as well. Fedora's nice, though I personally don't care for
              > KDE. MEPIS is simple and straightforward (KDE again), but you may want to
              > skip over (for now anyway) Damn Small Linux which is really only valuable
              > (IMHO) if you have an older machine. Best bet: check out DistroWatch and
              > burn a live disk of every one that sounds interesting.
              > Mark

            • Roy
              Message 6 of 16 , May 8, 2010
                First off there is no 10.1 of Ubuntu.You probably mean 10.04.

                Linux and laptops are particularly difficult because laptops use so much
                proprietary hardware and Linux is open source. The job of backward
                engineering software to fit proprietary hardware is huge, if you think about
                it. Windows does not have to do this because Microsoft sets standards and
                OEMs comply. This cosy relationship leaves users out of the equation. It
                exists to sell more hardware and more copies of Windows. Upgrading in
                Windows may force users to buy new equipment. Just keep this in mind when
                you knock what Ubuntu or other distros are attempting to do.

                That being said, Ubuntu works surprisingly well as many people here can
                attest. It takes patience and perseverance to troubleshoot problems. I have
                found that where one distro fails another may work. The reason is that they
                use different kernels and boot loaders. Some BIOSes use funky settings which
                can throw off the boot loading process and cause kernel panics and hanging.
                You need to use settings or parameters in grub to bypass these unorthodox
                settings. So you can try other distributions (there are over 300) or try to
                play around with the settings in Ubuntu to get it to boot.

                I have found PCLinuxOS and SimplyMEPIS to work well with tricky hardware.

                Roy

                On 7 May 2010 11:50, Knowledge Seeker <knowledgeseeker78@...> wrote:

                > I was onto Ubuntu since 7.0, but with every new version Ubuntu seems to
                > walk away from my laptop. With 9.0, it failed on my Athreos wifi card,
                > started giving Kernel crash.
                >
                > With 10.1 when I tried installing from standard i386 image, my laptop
                > hanged. When I tried installing from alternate CD. It failed to install
                > at the step of installing 'base package', corrupted my MBR, so that I
                > cant boot in my windows also. Somehow I mended my MBR to boot in WinXP.
                > Ubuntu seem to be a far ship for me to sail .....now.
                >
                > BTW, my laptop might be bit old. Toshiba Satellite L20. Athreos Wifi,
                > Celeron 1.3G, 2GB RAM, 40 GB linux dedicated partition (rest for my own
                > and XP), additional SWAP partition, SlimLine DVD writer., ATI Radeon
                > Express 200M graphics card.

              • Jane Delawney
                Message 7 of 16 , May 8, 2010
                  Duh. Have been a watcher but not contributor to this list for ages; so
                  don't know what the accepted format it. Top post or bottom post?

                  Going for safety: bottom post coming up.

                  On 07/05/10 02:03, sgttutt2001 wrote:
                  > I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 which I like, but would it be worth to try another distro? I have a external HD that I would install it on. I know that everyone has their favorite one. Any recommendations would be welcomed.
                  >
                  > i am still a newbie to Linux.
                  >
                  > KT

                  Hello there,

                  In case you find it helpful: I am the original non-techie! I started
                  using Linux because I was so sick of the security issues that come
                  bundled with Windoze. As a complete ignoramus, technophobe and general
                  command line eejit, I have been running Mandrake / Mandriva Linux as an
                  *almost* pure GUI OS since 2001. That's right; as a pointy-clicky non
                  technical Windoze refugee, with a blind spot for learning technical
                  stuff, I have still been able to run a viable system, use the internet
                  (both dial-up and broadband), do eBay, watch videos on YouTube, use mail
                  and newsgroups, do pretty much everything I want to do out there, with
                  the help of Mandriva forums, a smidgen of intelligent googling, and a
                  little (but not too much) recourse to linuxquestions.org and this
                  mailing list.

                  I'd highly recommend this underrated, French RH derivative; they've
                  moved far beyond their origins by this time and represent a solid,
                  stable OS which is totally newbie-friendly ... as long as you know *the
                  secret* of course, which is easy-urpmi.zarb.org for adding media
                  sources. Once you've got all your free and non-free repositories -
                  include PLF please! - configured (and these days, zarb will do it
                  automatically, you don't even have to copy-and-paste into a root
                  console) it really is possible to run this system through the GUI 99.9%
                  of the time. I love it. I'm free of Windoze, and my blind spot is not an
                  issue.

                  As time has gone on, I've gotten a little bolder, and have even managed
                  to build a working Debian system on my other box - though I hasten to
                  add that this doesn't mean I suddenly turned into a geek, it means the
                  Debian developers have provided a much more eejit-friendly installer for
                  Lenny! But I'm still going to be using Mandriva for most of my day to
                  day computing.

                  I've tried most of the distros people have mentioned - Mint is pretty;
                  but the only one so far that has configured the wireless nic on my
                  laptop without issues was SimplyMepis - nobody mentioned that yet, it's
                  another Debian derivative, and for me it works well in that one respect.
                  And I have a netbook that uses Asus's own little distro, though they now
                  seem to have stopped supporting this, which is rather a shame (it's
                  Debian by any other name though).

                  Dunno if any of that is helpful - but yes, if you're not fond of the
                  CLI, it IS possible to use Linux as a GUI OS. I've been doing it for 10
                  years with Mandrake / Mandriva, and I don't regret a moment.

                  cheers

                  JD
                • Jane Delawney
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 8, 2010
> [...]

                    Debian developers have provided a much more eejit-friendly installer for
                    Lenny! But I'm still going to be using Mandriva for most of my day to
                    day computing.

                    I've tried most of the distros people have mentioned - Mint is pretty;
                    but the only one so far that has configured the wireless nic on my
                    laptop without issues was SimplyMepis - nobody mentioned that yet, it's
                    another Debian derivative, and for me it works well in that one respect.
                    And I have a netbook that uses Asus's own little distro, though they now
                    seem to have stopped supporting this, which is rather a shame (it's
                    Debian by any other name though).

                    Dunno if any of that is helpful - but yes, if you're not fond of the
                    CLI, it IS possible to use Linux as a GUI OS. I've been doing it for 10
                    years with Mandrake / Mandriva, and I don't regret a moment.

                    PS please excuse if this post appears twice, having (non OS related)
                    issues with the mail server.

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 8, 2010
                      On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 12:44:54AM +0100, Jane Delawney wrote:
                      > Duh. Have been a watcher but not contributor to this list for ages; so
                      > don't know what the accepted format it. Top post or bottom post?

                      Inline. :) That is, answer point A under point A, point B under point
                      B.
                      That being said, as you've noticed, people post in all sorts of ways,
                      but in general, the most technically oriented members, most of whom are
                      IT professionals, post in line. (Save for when someone <waves to Jeff>
                      has to use their smartphone).

                      Said IT pros also tend to trim, that is eliminate unnecessary points
                      from the mail that they're answering. However, especially on this list,
                      where it becomes a major issue each time it's raised, post as you
                      wish--just note again that the majority of the more experienced are more
                      likely to read a properly formatted post.

                      > On 07/05/10 02:03, sgttutt2001 wrote:
                      > > I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 which I like, but would it be worth to try another distro? I have a external HD that I would install it on. I know that everyone has their favorite one. Any recommendations would be welcomed.
                      > >
                      > > i am still a newbie to Linux.
                      > >

                      > Hello there,
                      >
                      > In case you find it helpful: I am the original non-techie! I started
                      > using Linux because I was so sick of the security issues that come
                      > bundled with Windoze. As a complete ignoramus, technophobe and general
                      > command line eejit, I have been running Mandrake / Mandriva Linux as an
                      > *almost* pure GUI OS since 2001.

                      Wow, no one mentioned Mandriva? Hrrm, I should have thrown in a mention
                      of it.

                      That's right; as a pointy-clicky non
                      > technical Windoze refugee, with a blind spot for learning technical
                      > stuff, I have still been able to run a viable system, use the internet
                      > (both dial-up and broadband), do eBay, watch videos on YouTube, use mail
                      > and newsgroups, do pretty much everything I want to do out there, with
                      > the help of Mandriva forums, a smidgen of intelligent googling, and a
                      > little (but not too much) recourse to linuxquestions.org and this
                      > mailing list.
                      >
                      > I'd highly recommend this underrated, French RH derivative

                      I think it lost popularity for several reasons--they were charging for
                      it, which bothered people, they put in non-open source things, meaning
                      it was actually useful, back before that was popular, and so on.
                      However, yes, it's an excellent beginner's distro, that is also used by
                      the guru. And yes, originally it wsa an RH derivative, the big
                      difference at the time, back in the late 90's, IIRC, was that they
                      wanted KDE vs. RH's Gnome.

                      However, they are, as you say, well beyond that now.

                      > I've tried most of the distros people have mentioned - Mint is pretty;
                      > but the only one so far that has configured the wireless nic on my
                      > laptop without issues was SimplyMepis - nobody mentioned that yet

                      Actually, I think Roy did. :)

                      Interesting though, for me Mepis had more trouble with my wireless than
                      some of the others. I think Mepis is a great distro, very friendly,
                      helpful forums, with developers active there, and I think that had
                      Warren not gotten ill, and had Ubuntu not come along, it would have bee
                      what Ubuntu is now.

                      > another Debian derivative, and for me it works well in that one respect.
                      > And I have a netbook that uses Asus's own little distro, though they now
                      > seem to have stopped supporting this, which is rather a shame (it's
                      > Debian by any other name though).

                      I never did use it--it was Xandros, a commercial distro based on Debian.
                      From what I understood (never having used it, only hearsay) it was
                      somewhat crippled though. This was, unfortunately, the case on most of
                      the netbooks that came Linux--Acer used Linpus, which was a really
                      screwed up version of Fedora 8, MSI, I think, used a crippled version of
                      Novell's commercial SuSE, etc.

                      > Dunno if any of that is helpful - but yes, if you're not fond of the
                      > CLI, it IS possible to use Linux as a GUI OS. I've been doing it for 10
                      > years with Mandrake / Mandriva, and I don't regret a moment.

                      Yup agreed. I'd say the same for most of the desktop distributions now,
                      which of course, aggravates the heck out of we dinosaurs who prefer
                      command line. It's not bad to have GUI tools--what aggravates we
                      dinosaurs is when they tie things like networking to the GUI.

                      Buffy: You know, for someone who teaches human behavior, you
                      might try showing some.
                      Professor Walsh:It's not my job to coddle my students.
                      Buffy: You're right. A human being in pain has nothing to do with
                      your job. (leaves)
                      Professor Walsh: I like her.
                      Riley: Really? You don't think she's a little peculiar?
                    • Jane Delawney
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 8, 2010
                        Just a couple more small points re: newb distros (& stuff :) ):

                        On 09/05/10 02:53, Scott wrote:

                        > On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 12:44:54AM +0100, Jane Delawney wrote:
                        > > Duh. Have been a watcher but not contributor to this list for ages; so
                        > > don't know what the accepted format it. Top post or bottom post?
                        >
                        > Inline. :) That is, answer point A under point A, point B under point
                        > B.
                        > That being said, as you've noticed, people post in all sorts of ways,
                        They do indeed, which is why I asked; and I'm sure there are others out
                        there who have been equally confused, not having access to the knowledge
                        of who might be the 'most technically orientated' or otherwise.

                        > -just note again that the majority of the more experienced are more
                        > likely to read a properly formatted post.
                        'properly formatted' well there is the rub indeed - I've many years of
                        experience of reading and contributing to message boards, mailing lists
                        and usenet groups, and have been slapped upside the head by 'experts'
                        all over the place for top posting ... or bottom posting ... or *most
                        often actually* for posting inline 'because it's confusing and bad for
                        people on Digest Mode'.

                        If as an 18+ yr netizen I can't win what can real noobs hope for?

                        > Wow, no one mentioned Mandriva? Hrrm, I should have thrown in a mention
                        > of it.
                        >

                        > > I'd highly recommend this underrated, French RH derivative
                        >
                        > I think it lost popularity for several reasons--they were charging for
                        > it
                        Mandrake / Mandriva have indeed charged for their product, but only for
                        the full on professional version of the distro which includes months of
                        technical support (which one could argue is what they charge for).
                        Personally I have only ever used free download versions of Mandrake or
                        Mandriva. They are fully functional and if you want a pure free software
                        version, you can get such a version of Mandy with no trouble. Their
                        website gives full instructions and information about the versions.

                        Even if you want to use a few proprietary modules eg. NVIDIA drivers,
                        you don't have to pay for them, they are free as in beer (but possibly
                        not as in freedom).But that's the same with all distros.

                        > which bothered people, they put in non-open source things, meaning
                        > it was actually useful, back before that was popular, and so on.
                        > However, yes, it's an excellent beginner's distro, that is also used by
                        > the guru. And yes, originally it wsa an RH derivative, the big
                        > difference at the time, back in the late 90's, IIRC, was that they
                        > wanted KDE vs. RH's Gnome.
                        No way I'm going to get into a KDE vs Gnome discussion :)

                        > > I have a netbook that uses Asus's own little distro, though they now
                        > > seem to have stopped supporting this, which is rather a shame (it's
                        > > Debian by any other name though).
                        >
                        > I never did use it--it was Xandros, a commercial distro based on Debian.
                        > >From what I understood (never having used it, only hearsay) it was
                        > somewhat crippled though.
                        You had to do some savvy googling to avoid setting up repositories which
                        would kill your OS because they'd provide incompatible packages via a
                        plain old apt-get update.

                        However even without updates the Asus distro still *works*, and supports
                        my mobile broadband dongle fine. Just don't expect it to keep up with
                        the smartphone :(

                        > > Dunno if any of that is helpful - but yes, if you're not fond of the
                        > > CLI, it IS possible to use Linux as a GUI OS. I've been doing it for 10
                        > > years with Mandrake / Mandriva, and I don't regret a moment.
                        >
                        > Yup agreed. I'd say the same for most of the desktop distributions now,
                        > which of course, aggravates the heck out of we dinosaurs who prefer
                        > command line. It's not bad to have GUI tools--what aggravates we
                        > dinosaurs is when they tie things like networking to the GUI.
                        Who is 'they' here? I'd always supposed that my complete inability to do
                        networking via CLI was down to my lameness, not to anything the distro
                        developers have done. But I'd definitely be the last person to work it
                        out if that was indeed the case.

                        All I was trying to say was to the original poster: yes, there is at
                        least one more option for you, beyond Ubuntu and the others you
                        mentioned. If I can use a distro as a near-pure GUI OS for 10 years,
                        anyone should be able to use it. Anyone! I'm not advocating the demise
                        of CLI linux. I only wish I had the technical nous to use it! But I
                        don't, I doubt I ever will have, and surely it can't be a bad thing if
                        someone like me can despite everything manage to be Redmond-free for so
                        long.

                        'I'm a PC, and I don't do Windows'.

                        JD
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 9, 2010
                          On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 06:04:10AM +0100, Jane Delawney wrote:
                          > Just a couple more small points re: newb distros (& stuff :) ):
                          >
                          > > which of course, aggravates the heck out of we dinosaurs who prefer
                          > > command line. It's not bad to have GUI tools--what aggravates we
                          > > dinosaurs is when they tie things like networking to the GUI.

                          > Who is 'they' here?

                          Fedora, for one. Though I believe it's improving, and one can now, in
                          theory at least, use their GUI tool NetworkManager without having to
                          have Gnome running.

                          I'd always supposed that my complete inability to do
                          > networking via CLI was down to my lameness, not to anything the distro
                          > developers have done. But I'd definitely be the last person to work it
                          > out if that was indeed the case.

                          Nope. For example, with Mint, at one point, I changed the default
                          window manager from Gnome to fluxbox. Suddenly, no network.

                          All such things can usually be fixed, but with so many distributions
                          around, one gets to the point where they figure, why bother? With
                          Fedora (and I'm sure this is true for others), when experienced, one can
                          more or less easily work around it.

                          Giles: This one?
                          Buffy: Amethyst.
                          Giles: Used for?
                          Buffy: Breath mints?
                          Giles: Charm bags, money spells and for cleansing one's aura.
                          Buffy: Okay, so how do you know if one's aura's dirty? Somebody
                          comes by with a finger and writes 'wash me' on it?
                        • Roy
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 9, 2010
                            I started out in Mandrake around ten years ago. It was my first distro. I
                            remember it with some affection and some dread. I lived through two years of
                            RPM hell as it was called then. Now RPM has improved and in some ways it is
                            better than DEB. I really like Fedora's use of Presto where it only
                            downloads delta changes to a package. I hope that Ubuntu decides to
                            implement it. I even belonged to their club for a couple of years at $96 per
                            year which was a lot back then. I have all of my CDs still somewhere in a
                            box.

                            I still use Mandrake occasionally. It is a complete release, although it has
                            nowhere near enough packages for me. Every distro has its strengths and
                            weaknesses. Mandrake can be flaky. It will work really well with one
                            hardware configuration and not even be able to install on another. When I
                            first got this computer four years ago I could not run Mandrake for over a
                            year. Then it caught up to the technology of the time.

                            My biggest beef with Mandrake today is the use of LILO and the fact that it
                            does not detect and install boot loaders for all of my distributions. That
                            being said Mandrake has a good community, good online support, and lots of
                            features worth bragging about. It is an excellent choice if your application
                            requirements are limited. Of the RPM distros it is among my favourites,
                            ahead of openSuSE but behind PCLinuxOS (which was forked from Mandrake) and
                            Fedora which is to my mind the best intermediate distribution there is.

                            One thing that I did notice with the release of Mandriva 2010 last fall was
                            that they managed to get Nvidia with compositing and special effects to work
                            out of the box with Plymouth while Fedora 12 required you to fudge the
                            settings. Even Ubuntu 10.04 with alpha one months later had problems with
                            managing this and mine with 10.04 final looks terrible (lo res kubuntu)
                            until I get the GUI login window. So Mandriva has done lots of good work to
                            achieve what others cannot.

                            Roy

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 9, 2010
                              On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 08:27:57AM -0400, Roy wrote:

                              > My biggest beef with Mandrake today is the use of LILO and the fact that it
                              > does not detect and install boot loaders for all of my distributions.

                              Maybe that reflects their RH roots? I find that Fedora doesn't
                              recognize anything but other RH distros, e.g., CentOS, and, from what I
                              see on the Fedora forums, Windows. (Don't know about that one, I don't
                              have Windows on anything save a single boot machine at work.)

                              Spike: What's Big Blue doing anyway?
                              The Judge: I am preparing.
                              Spike: It's interesting to me that preparing looks a great bit
                              like sitting on your ass.