Re: Questions on Mint Linux-8

  • John
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
      Thanks for your input.
      Found a couple of others issues with Mint-8.
      Installed XUbuntu 9.10 in place of Mint and
      all issues cleared up. (Resolution wifi card)
      John
    • Lenore D
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
        I would need a magnifying glass to read everything at those high resolutions!
        Mint 8 is excellent...it's Ubuntu with the fat trimmed out. Also it includes some non open source media essentials that are not included with Ubuntu.

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goetzjr@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for your input.
        > Found a couple of others issues with Mint-8.
        > Installed XUbuntu 9.10 in place of Mint and
        > all issues cleared up. (Resolution wifi card)
        > John

      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2010
          I have ubuntu 9.10 installed on a IBM G41 which uses
          the 1600x1200 res. But I also have the option to go lower.
          On the A31P with Mint I did not have that option but now
          I can with ubuntu. Also use a wide screen monitor at 1280x960.
        • loyal_barber
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2010
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goetzjr@...> wrote:

            > I have ubuntu 9.10 installed on a IBM G41 which uses
            > the 1600x1200 res. But I also have the option to go lower.
            > On the A31P with Mint I did not have that option but now
            > I can with ubuntu. Also use a wide screen monitor at 1280x960.

            I have no idea what you guys are doing. I run mint 6, 7, & 8 and with
            all of them I have about 30 choices for screen resolution. I am
            running on a Dell Latitude D830 laptop. My options are everything from
            1920 X 1080 down to 320 X 240. Mint inherits this from Ubuntu. They
            make no changes to it.

            Loyal
          • Nitin Jain
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2010
              Please provide links to download rpm for VLC Player.

              And send some interesting books for RHCE

              Thanks

              Nitin Jain
              To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
              From: loyal_barber@...
              Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:49:57 +0000
              Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Questions on Mint Linux-8

              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goetzjr@...> wrote:

              > I have ubuntu 9.10 installed on a IBM G41 which uses

              > the 1600x1200 res. But I also have the option to go lower.

              > On the A31P with Mint I did not have that option but now

              > I can with ubuntu. Also use a wide screen monitor at 1280x960.

              I have no idea what you guys are doing. I run mint 6, 7, & 8 and with

              all of them I have about 30 choices for screen resolution. I am

              running on a Dell Latitude D830 laptop. My options are everything from

              1920 X 1080 down to 320 X 240. Mint inherits this from Ubuntu. They

              make no changes to it.

              Loyal

            • Robert C Wittig
              • Bruce Kemp
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2010
                  Nitin Jain wrote:
                  > Please provide links to download rpm for VLC Player.

                  Try http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-redhat.html for VLC.
                  Bruce

                  --
                  Registered Linux user number 482434.

                  Nudists are people who wear one-button suits.
                • Roy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 5, 2010
                    It is available from rpmfusion.org. This is a reliable source of rpms for
                    Fedora. Just go to the site and search. You can also add rpmfusion to your
                    repositories for yum or packagekit. Instructions for adding the repositories
                    is given on the home page of rpmfusion.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 5, 2010
                      On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:42:04PM -0500, Roy wrote:
                      > It is available from rpmfusion.org. This is a reliable source of rpms for
                      > Fedora. Just go to the site and search. You can also add rpmfusion to your
                      > repositories for yum or packagekit. Instructions for adding the repositories
                      > is given on the home page of rpmfusion.

                      I would add that unless you're using Fedora in production, rpmfusion is
                      almost essential, especially if you want multimedia.

                      Buffy: I lost a friend tonight and I may lose more! The whole
                      world may be sucked into hell, and you want my help 'cause your
                      girlfriend's a big ho?! Let me take this opportunity to NOT care!
                    • Robert C Wittig

                        Roy wrote:

                        > It is available from rpmfusion.org. This is a reliable source of rpms for
                        > Fedora. Just go to the site and search. You can also add rpmfusion to your
                        > repositories for yum or packagekit. Instructions for adding the repositories
                        > is given on the home page of rpmfusion.
                        >
                        > Roy

                        Ok. Here is the whole enchilada:

                        RHEL5 should be the same as what I am running... CentOS 5.4, so it uses
                        'yum'.

                        Here:

                        http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge

                        ...is the tutorial I used to install yum-priorities, then RPMForge, and
                        finally, MPlayer.

                        All you will have to do, is to install VLC instead of MPlayer.

                        Seeing as how I already had yum-priorities and RPMForge installed on
                        yum, and because I know that VLC is a cool toy to have (much experience
                        with it on Windows systems), I went ahead and installed it... and the 27
                        dependencies you found that it required (damn, I just LOVE yum!)... I
                        went ahead and installed VLC, and I can report that it installed
                        perfectly, and is running fine, and also, that it does not install a man
                        page (no biggie).

                        Here is a console capture of the entire process:

                        - ----------------------------------
                        [wittig@centos ~]$ yum list vlc
                        Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
                        478 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
                        Available Packages
                        vlc.i386 0.9.9a-4.el5.rf
                        rpmforge
                        [wittig@centos ~]$ su
                        Password:
                        [root@centos wittig]# yum install vlc.i386
                        Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
                        * addons: mirrors.serveraxis.net
                        * base: mirrors.liquidweb.com
                        * extras: mirror.sanctuaryhost.com
                        * rpmforge: ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
                        * updates: yum.singlehop.com
                        478 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
                        Setting up Install Process
                        Resolving Dependencies
                        - --> Running transaction check
                        - ---> Package vlc.i386 0:0.9.9a-4.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libtag.so.1 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libcddb.so.2 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libcxcore.so.1 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libmatroska.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libupnp.so.3 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libixml.so.2 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libid3tag.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libml.so.1 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libtwolame.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libswscale.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libavutil.so.49 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: liba52.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libavformat.so.52 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libebml.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libdvbpsi.so.4 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libxosd.so.2 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libfaad.so.2 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libhighgui.so.1 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libpostproc.so.51 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libcvaux.so.1 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libQtCore.so.4 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libcv.so.1 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libQtGui.so.4 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libdvdnav.so.4 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libportaudio.so.2 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libmpeg2.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libzvbi.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libmodplug.so.0 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libshout.so.3 for package: vlc
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libavcodec.so.52 for package: vlc
                        - --> Running transaction check
                        - ---> Package SDL_image.i386 0:1.2.5-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package a52dec.i386 0:0.7.4-8.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package faad2.i386 0:2.7-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package ffmpeg.i386 0:0.5-3.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libImlib2.so.1 for package: ffmpeg
                        - ---> Package ffmpeg-libpostproc.i386 0:0.5-3.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libcddb.i386 0:1.3.1-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libcdio.so.7 for package: libcddb
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libcdio.so.7(CDIO_7) for package: libcddb
                        - ---> Package libdvbpsi.i386 0:0.1.5-2.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libdvdnav.i386 0:0.1.10-3.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libdvdread.i386 0:0.9.7-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libdvdcss >= 1.2.5 for package: libdvdread
                        - ---> Package libebml.i386 0:0.7.8-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libid3tag.i386 0:0.15.1b-3.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libmatroska.i386 0:0.8.1-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libmodplug.i386 0:0.8.7-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libshout.i386 0:2.2.2-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libupnp.i386 0:1.6.6-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package mpeg2dec.i386 0:0.4.1-2.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package opencv.i386 0:1.0.0-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package portaudio.i386 0:19-1.20071207.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package qt4.i386 0:4.2.1-1 set to be updated
                        - ---> Package taglib.i386 0:1.5-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package twolame.i386 0:0.3.12-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libsndfile.so.1 for package: twolame
                        - --> Processing Dependency: libsndfile.so.1(libsndfile.so.1.0) for
                        package: twolame
                        - ---> Package xosd.i386 0:2.2.14-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package zvbi.i386 0:0.2.33-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - --> Running transaction check
                        - ---> Package imlib2.i386 0:1.4.0-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libcdio.i386 0:0.77-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libdvdcss.i386 0:1.2.10-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - ---> Package libsndfile.i386 0:1.0.17-1.el5.rf set to be updated
                        - --> Finished Dependency Resolution

                        Dependencies Resolved

                        Package Arch Version Repository
                        Size
                        Installing:
                        vlc i386 0.9.9a-4.el5.rf rpmforge
                        21 M
                        Installing for dependencies:
                        SDL_image i386 1.2.5-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        84 k
                        a52dec i386 0.7.4-8.el5.rf rpmforge
                        78 k
                        faad2 i386 2.7-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        354 k
                        ffmpeg i386 0.5-3.el5.rf rpmforge
                        2.5 M
                        ffmpeg-libpostproc i386 0.5-3.el5.rf rpmforge
                        40 k
                        imlib2 i386 1.4.0-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        947 k
                        libcddb i386 1.3.1-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        113 k
                        libcdio i386 0.77-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        514 k
                        libdvbpsi i386 0.1.5-2.el5.rf rpmforge
                        66 k
                        libdvdcss i386 1.2.10-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        64 k
                        libdvdnav i386 0.1.10-3.el5.rf rpmforge
                        212 k
                        libdvdread i386 0.9.7-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        126 k
                        libebml i386 0.7.8-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        297 k
                        libid3tag i386 0.15.1b-3.el5.rf rpmforge
                        75 k
                        libmatroska i386 0.8.1-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        701 k
                        libmodplug i386 0.8.7-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        425 k
                        libshout i386 2.2.2-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        115 k
                        libsndfile i386 1.0.17-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        476 k
                        libupnp i386 1.6.6-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        297 k
                        mpeg2dec i386 0.4.1-2.el5.rf rpmforge
                        190 k
                        opencv i386 1.0.0-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        4.3 M
                        portaudio i386 19-1.20071207.el5.rf rpmforge
                        276 k
                        qt4 i386 4.2.1-1 base
                        7.2 M
                        taglib i386 1.5-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        978 k
                        twolame i386 0.3.12-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        131 k
                        xosd i386 2.2.14-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        60 k
                        zvbi i386 0.2.33-1.el5.rf rpmforge
                        925 k

                        Transaction Summary
                        Install 28 Package(s)
                        Update 0 Package(s)
                        Remove 0 Package(s)

                        Total download size: 42 M
                        Is this ok [y/N]: y
                        Downloading Packages:
                        (1/28): ffmpeg-libpostproc-0.5-3.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 40 kB
                        00:00
                        (2/28): xosd-2.2.14-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 60 kB
                        00:00
                        (3/28): libdvdcss-1.2.10-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 64 kB
                        00:00
                        (4/28): libdvbpsi-0.1.5-2.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 66 kB
                        00:00
                        (5/28): libid3tag-0.15.1b-3.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 75 kB
                        00:00
                        (6/28): a52dec-0.7.4-8.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 78 kB
                        00:00
                        (7/28): SDL_image-1.2.5-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 84 kB
                        00:00
                        (8/28): libcddb-1.3.1-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 113 kB
                        00:00
                        (9/28): libshout-2.2.2-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 115 kB
                        00:00
                        (10/28): libdvdread-0.9.7-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 126 kB
                        00:00
                        (11/28): twolame-0.3.12-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 131 kB
                        00:00
                        (12/28): mpeg2dec-0.4.1-2.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 190 kB
                        00:01
                        (13/28): libdvdnav-0.1.10-3.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 212 kB
                        00:00
                        (14/28): portaudio-19-1.20071207.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 276 kB
                        00:00
                        (15/28): libupnp-1.6.6-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 297 kB
                        00:00
                        (16/28): libebml-0.7.8-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 297 kB
                        00:00
                        (17/28): faad2-2.7-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 354 kB
                        00:01
                        (18/28): libmodplug-0.8.7-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 425 kB
                        00:01
                        (19/28): libsndfile-1.0.17-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 476 kB
                        00:01
                        (20/28): libcdio-0.77-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 514 kB
                        00:01
                        (21/28): libmatroska-0.8.1-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 701 kB
                        00:02
                        (22/28): zvbi-0.2.33-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 925 kB
                        00:03
                        (23/28): imlib2-1.4.0-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 947 kB
                        00:03
                        (24/28): taglib-1.5-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 978 kB
                        00:03
                        (25/28): ffmpeg-0.5-3.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 2.5 MB
                        00:08
                        (26/28): opencv-1.0.0-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 4.3 MB
                        00:14
                        (27/28): qt4-4.2.1-1.i386.rpm | 7.2 MB
                        00:23
                        (28/28): vlc-0.9.9a-4.el5.rf.i386.rpm | 21 MB
                        01:11
                        -
                        Total 241 kB/s | 42 MB
                        03:00
                        Running rpm_check_debug
                        Running Transaction Test
                        Finished Transaction Test
                        Transaction Test Succeeded
                        Running Transaction
                        Installing : faad2
                        1/28
                        Installing : libebml
                        2/28
                        Installing : libid3tag
                        3/28
                        Installing : a52dec
                        4/28
                        Installing : imlib2
                        5/28
                        Installing : libmatroska
                        6/28
                        Installing : zvbi
                        7/28
                        Installing : libcdio
                        8/28
                        Installing : libcddb
                        9/28
                        Installing : mpeg2dec
                        10/28
                        Installing : qt4
                        11/28
                        Installing : libdvdnav
                        12/28
                        Installing : libshout
                        13/28
                        Installing : portaudio
                        14/28
                        Installing : xosd
                        15/28
                        Installing : libdvdcss
                        16/28
                        Installing : libdvdread
                        17/28
                        Installing : libupnp
                        18/28
                        Installing : opencv
                        19/28
                        Installing : libsndfile
                        20/28
                        Installing : twolame
                        21/28
                        Installing : SDL_image
                        22/28
                        Installing : libdvbpsi
                        23/28
                        Installing : taglib
                        24/28
                        Installing : libmodplug
                        25/28
                        Installing : ffmpeg
                        26/28
                        Installing : ffmpeg-libpostproc
                        27/28
                        Installing : vlc
                        28/28

                        Installed:
                        vlc.i386 0:0.9.9a-4.el5.rf

                        Dependency Installed:
                        SDL_image.i386 0:1.2.5-1.el5.rf a52dec.i386 0:0.7.4-8.el5.rf

                        faad2.i386 0:2.7-1.el5.rf ffmpeg.i386 0:0.5-3.el5.rf

                        ffmpeg-libpostproc.i386 0:0.5-3.el5.rf imlib2.i386 0:1.4.0-1.el5.rf

                        libcddb.i386 0:1.3.1-1.el5.rf libcdio.i386 0:0.77-1.el5.rf

                        libdvbpsi.i386 0:0.1.5-2.el5.rf libdvdcss.i386
                        0:1.2.10-1.el5.rf
                        libdvdnav.i386 0:0.1.10-3.el5.rf libdvdread.i386
                        0:0.9.7-1.el5.rf
                        libebml.i386 0:0.7.8-1.el5.rf libid3tag.i386
                        0:0.15.1b-3.el5.rf
                        libmatroska.i386 0:0.8.1-1.el5.rf libmodplug.i386
                        0:0.8.7-1.el5.rf
                        libshout.i386 0:2.2.2-1.el5.rf libsndfile.i386
                        0:1.0.17-1.el5.rf
                        libupnp.i386 0:1.6.6-1.el5.rf mpeg2dec.i386 0:0.4.1-2.el5.rf

                        opencv.i386 0:1.0.0-1.el5.rf portaudio.i386
                        0:19-1.20071207.el5.rf
                        qt4.i386 0:4.2.1-1 taglib.i386 0:1.5-1.el5.rf

                        twolame.i386 0:0.3.12-1.el5.rf xosd.i386 0:2.2.14-1.el5.rf

                        zvbi.i386 0:0.2.33-1.el5.rf

                        Complete!
                        [root@centos wittig]# exit
                        exit
                        [wittig@centos ~]$
                        - --------------------------------------

                        - --
                        - -wittig
                        http://www.robertwittig.com/
                        http://robertwittig.net/
                        http://robertwittig.org/
                        .
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 5, 2010
                          On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:24:03PM -0600, Robert C Wittig wrote:

                          > Roy wrote:
                          > >

                          > > It is available from rpmfusion.org. This is a reliable source of rpms for
                          > > Fedora. Just go to the site and search. You can also add rpmfusion to your
                          > > repositories for yum or packagekit. Instructions for adding the repositories
                          > > is given on the home page of rpmfusion.
                          > >
                          > > Roy
                          > >

                          > Ok. Here is the whole enchilada:
                          >
                          > RHEL5 should be the same as what I am running... CentOS 5.4, so it uses
                          > 'yum'.

                          Argh, I missed RHEL5 somewhere along the line. DO NOT USE RPMFUSION!!!!

                          Do what Robert says.

                          Joyce: Something's gonna eat those babies?
                          Principal Snyder: I think that is so wrong.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 5, 2010
                            On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 02:10:00PM -0500, Scott wrote:
                            > On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:42:04PM -0500, Roy wrote:
                            > > It is available from rpmfusion.org. This is a reliable source of rpms for
                            > > Fedora. Just go to the site and search. You can also add rpmfusion to your
                            > > repositories for yum or packagekit. Instructions for adding the repositories
                            > > is given on the home page of rpmfusion.

                            Ok, this is something that often can confuse people, especially those
                            not familiar RH/CentOS/Fedora. (We see it all the time on the various
                            forums.)

                            rpmfusion is for Fedora. rpmforge is for RH/CentOS.

                            Sorry for the confusion earlier.

                            Buffy: Every time you show up like this, you risk all your parts,
                            you know that?
                            Spike: I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a good reason. As
                            usual, I'm here to help you and I... are you naked under there?
                            Buffy: Get out.
                            Spike: No, I'm serious. I mean, not about the naked part...