Re: New to Group & Linux

  • Darksyde
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2010
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:16:39AM -0000, Darksyde wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "sue_in_al" <sdp30564@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Since then I have heard that Mint is better than Kubuntu. What is the consensus here.
      > > >
      > > > I would like to give it a try, but as of yet I have not been able to create a bootable cd. Kubuntu was on a free cd. Is Mint available on a free cd too?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks, Sue
      > > >

      > > I'm sure everyone else has mentioned this by now but it's terribly easy to download a distro and burn to disk, even if it makes you uncomfortable at first...don't be, just dive right in.
      >
      > Hrrm, I'm not sure anyone did. :) Yes, Sue, that's one thing most
      > distributions now offer, a live CD so that you can test out the
      > distribution without installing anything to hard drive. (Do keep in
      > mind though, that a live CD will run more slowly than an actually
      > installed distribution.

      Good point, Scott! Many people might be turned off by a distro only because it ran slowly "live".
      Mark
    • Darksyde
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2010
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "loyal_barber" <loyal_barber@...> wrote:

        > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Susan Muska <sdp30564@> wrote:
        > >
        > > OK, I'll try again to create a liveCD this time for Mint. While I followed the directions for several burners and understand the difference between copying a file verses an image. I would always get an error when trying to boot from the disk. Good thing I have a big stack of blank CDs. ;o)

        <snip>

        > There are a couple of things you can do to improve your burn:
        > 1. Check the MD5 check sum on your download. If you don't know how
        > to do that, just ask
        > 2. Slow the speed way down
        >
        > Usually works for me. Most burners always select max speed and I
        > find that rarely works correctly.
        >
        > Loyal

        I use Brasero for my burns. It may not get the highest ratings but it does automate the MD5 and I've burned many disks with success.
        Mark
      • Philip
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2010

          > Had to jump in because Mark and I both went to Mint about the same
          > time. If you need help and suggestions how to download and and
          > burn your own free copy of Mint, let us know. This group can be
          > very helpful. I assume you are coming from Windows so I feel
          > Mint is an excellent choice. I am a heavy-duty technical guy so
          > even though you might find those that say that Mint is too much a
          > newbie distro, I am here to tell you that Mint is for those who
          > just want the distro to be easy and to work.
          >
          > Loyal

          Loyal,
          I'm newer than new and have found this entire string most informative. Could you post a note on how to download and burn a copy? Perhaps it could be stored with files for 'posterity'. That's for the help.
          Phil