Re: [LINUX_Newbies] red hat

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
      On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:05:23PM -0800, davyp wrote:
      > Is red hat still a good one to buy.

      For what?

      One can get CentOS for free. You don't get the support, but it is
      binary compatible with RedHat Enterprise Linux.

      If you're planning on becoming an administrator, then it's probably a
      good one to work with for practice, but again, you can use CentOS.

      If you're in a company, then it's probably good because you can get paid
      support.

      It depends upon your purpose.

      If you can be a bit more specific about what you want, I think you can
      get better answers.

      Spike: Should I really trust you?
      Adam: Scout's honor.
      Spike: You were a Boy Scout?
      Adam: Parts of me.
    • davyp
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
        Thanks For the comments

        I ment is it the easiest to learn on , I have a verson linux for dummys , I must be a dummy or close to it, I’ll play with it somemore , how is Susie linux??

        On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:05:23PM -0800, davyp wrote:
        > Is red hat still a good one to buy.

        For what?

        One can get CentOS for free. You don't get the support, but it is
        binary compatible with RedHat Enterprise Linux.

        If you're planning on becoming an administrator, then it's probably a
        good one to work with for practice, but again, you can use CentOS.

        If you're in a company, then it's probably good because you can get paid
        support.

        It depends upon your purpose.

        If you can be a bit more specific about what you want, I think you can
        get better answers.

        Spike: Should I really trust you?
        Adam: Scout's honor.
        Spike: You were a Boy Scout?
        Adam: Parts of me.

      • loyal_barber
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 21, 2010
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "davyp" <davidp@...> wrote:

          > Is red hat still a good one to buy.

          In a corporate environment, yes. For personal use or someone on a
          budget, no. What you get with Red Hat is not so much the OS as the
          support. For an individual or those on a budget, you would probably
          pick the lowest level of support which frankly is not much. You can
          have the same thing by downloading FREE CentOS.

          Now with that out of the way, you can get more information from this
          group by asking a more specific question or at least giving more
          information. Example, "I want to set up a Linux box as a server so
          I can learn administration or shell scripting" or "I want to set up
          a Linux box as a desktop/laptop machine." Those specifics really
          lead to different responses. Also, some knowledge of your hardware
          might help. For example if your RAM is maxed at 1 GB, I would never
          recommend CentOS/Redhat or Suse. That does not mean these distros
          are bad, just that they run much more acceptably with more RAM.

          Loyal
        • Robert C Wittig
          • Darksyde
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 21, 2010
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "davyp" <davidp@...> wrote:

              > Thanks For the comments
              >

              > I ment is it the easiest to learn on , I have a verson linux for dummys , I must be a dummy or close to it, I’ll play with it somemore , how is Susie linux??

              Suze was my first distro experiment (from a "Dummies" guide) and it was ok but how about giving Fedora a try?
              Mark
            • J
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 21, 2010
                On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 13:42, Darksyde <m_alexander61@...> wrote:

                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "davyp" <davidp@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Thanks For the comments
                >>

                >> I ment is it the easiest to learn on , I have a verson linux for dummys , I must be a dummy or close to it, I’ll play with it somemore  , how is Susie linux??
                >>
                >  Suze was my first distro experiment (from a "Dummies" guide) and it was ok but how about giving Fedora a try?
                >  Mark

                For the record, its SuSE (usually prononuced SU-seh or SU-say), not
                Susie, or Suze.

                But as Mark says, why not try Fedora while you're at it. Fedora is
                Red Hat's free distro. It has it's pros as well as it's cons, but at
                least if you've never used one before, it's worth trying along with
                the others. If you try a bunch of them, you'll find one you really
                like, and you'll learn a lot about the many different variants out
                there.

                Also, look at places like linux.org and distrowatch.com for links to
                ISO images of various distributions. Many of them today come with
                live disks, meaning you can burn the image to CD/DVD, boot from it and
                run a "live" version directly from disk. That way, you can try them
                out without installing on your computer.

                The down side is that live distros tend to run more slowly than
                installed ones, but the upside is that you can run many of them
                without ever installing, and that's a big upside if you already have a
                running OS on your computer that you are afraid of destroying while
                you're trying these things out.

                Cheers,

                Jeff

                --

                Pablo Picasso - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
                answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html