LINUX ThinClient

  • card_man93
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
      I am trying to setup a linux thinclient on a old compaq presario 1610 laptop. I have tried multiple linux distros, DSL, SLAX, and ThinStation. Every time when loading off HDD the floppy drive trys to read and wont stop. I can insert a floppy and it stop reading but the boot will not continue. I have tried all configurations in VirtualBox and it works flawlessly. Also, how hard is it to make a custom Linux ThinClient? (I have tried a custom ThinStation using their distro build tool.)
    • Darksyde
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "card_man93" <ashumann13@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to setup a linux thinclient on a old compaq presario 1610 laptop. I have tried multiple linux distros, DSL, SLAX, and ThinStation. Every time when loading off HDD the floppy drive trys to read and wont stop. I can insert a floppy and it stop reading but the boot will not continue. I have tried all configurations in VirtualBox and it works flawlessly. Also, how hard is it to make a custom Linux ThinClient? (I have tried a custom ThinStation using their distro build tool.)

        There's an article in the Jan. issue of Linux Pro Magazine (www.linuxpromagazine.com) on BSD-based FreeNAS which might be a solution to your problem. It supposedly will operate on an original Pentium with 133MHz/128MB. You may want to check it out at DistroWatch or sourceforge.
        Mark
      • Jim Scott
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
          I'm running FreeNAS on my mini-itx w/ a 1.6 Atom and it work very well it
          supoorts CIFS (via Samba), TFTP, FTP, NFS, SSH, rsync, AFP, UPnP, BitTorrent
          (protocol) and iTunes. It's very full featured, and the install is just
          under 70G.

          Jim
        • Adam Shumann
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
            Unfortuneately the laptop oly has 2gb. I am needing an OS that can run a RDP
            client and maybe a small web broswer.

            Adam

            On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Jim Scott <bsddaemon@...> wrote:

            > I'm running FreeNAS on my mini-itx w/ a 1.6 Atom and it work very well it
            > supoorts CIFS (via Samba), TFTP, FTP, NFS, SSH, rsync, AFP, UPnP,
            > BitTorrent
            > (protocol) and iTunes. It's very full featured, and the install is just
            > under 70G.
            >
            > Jim

          • Jim Scott
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
              ooops sorry that was supposed to be 70M.
            • Adam Shumann
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
                Ohh ok. Ill look into it if thinstation doesnt boot this time.

                Adam

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Will FreeNAS run a rdp client?

                  Adam

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Never mind. It wont work. :( Requires 256mb ram. Laptop has ~80mb. Max is
                    MAYBE 128mb.

                    Adam

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 8, 2010
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Scott" <bsddaemon@...> wrote:

                      > ooops sorry that was supposed to be 70M.

                      I was wondering about that! lol
                      Mark
                    • J
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 8, 2010
                        On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 13:21, Adam Shumann <ashumann13@...> wrote:
                        > Never mind. It wont work. :( Requires 256mb ram. Laptop has ~80mb. Max is
                        > MAYBE 128mb.
                        >
                        > Adam

                        Here's one thing that I never understood... Yes Linux will run on
                        $OLD_COMPUTER for the most part (assuming you don't have weird
                        proprietary hardware like the old ToughBook I tried using did. BUT
                        aside from just being cheap, why do people NOT at least max out the
                        hardware on these old systems...

                        For example... you say yours has something like 80MB ram, max at
                        128MB. Have you tried to locate any memory upgrades, maybe even a
                        larger hard disk? eBay is a good place to look for this stuff and
                        I've gotten upgrade parts for many older architectures this way.

                        It may NOT help if you're trying to run an OS that requires 256MB
                        minimum, but it may definitely help with others...

                        Just a thought. It's not a direct reply to your particular issue, but
                        is tangentially related and something I've wondered but never really
                        asked aloud.

                        --

                        Stephen Leacock - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
                        that I shall some day die, which is not so." -
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 8, 2010
                          On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 16:47, card_man93 <ashumann13@...> wrote:
                          > Every time when loading off HDD the floppy drive trys to read and wont stop. I can insert a
                          > floppy and it stop reading but the boot will not continue.

                          One more thought...

                          Are you POSITIVE that A: your existing hard disk is good, and does not
                          have a b0rked boot sector or other catastrophic problems and B: that
                          the disk controller is not b0rked?

                          Does ANY OS install and run on this thing NOW (regardless of what was
                          pre-installed on it when you started). Can you get an old Windows95
                          or Win98 install disk and install that and boot?

                          If you can, then there is indeed a distro issue, but if you can not,
                          then your problems are not "What small footprint distro can I run" but
                          "Where can I get a working system to install my small footprint distro
                          on?"

                          Cheers,

                          Jeff

                          --

                          Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a
                          day." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marie_von_ebnereschenbac.html
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 8, 2010
                            The laptop will only read the first 8gb of a 20gb hard drive i tried, the
                            HDD wrks, I put it in an old 486 desktop and it ATTEMPTED to boot linux
                            correctly. The HDD woks fine.

                            The laptop was successfully running 95 when i got it. I had to put dos 6.22
                            and win 3.11 on it when i screwed it up in an attempt to install 98 with a
                            bad disk. It ran 3.11 fine. Now the IDE controller wont find any HDD. :(

                            Adam

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 9, 2010
                              I sounds like a BIOS limit, back in the day most BIOS would only recognize a
                              up to an 8G drive, so I'm guessing that the fact that it will only see the
                              first 8G is because BIOS will only let you partition to 8G. You could see
                              if there is a newer BIOS version for your system, which may let you
                              partition to a larger drvie, if the firmware addresses that issue or use a
                              drive manager overlay to get the full size of the drive.

                              Good Luck,

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 9, 2010
                                On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 13:51, Jim Scott <bsddaemon@...> wrote:
                                > I sounds like a BIOS limit, back in the day most BIOS would only recognize a
                                > up to an 8G drive, so I'm guessing that the fact that it will only see the
                                > first 8G is because BIOS will only let you partition to 8G.  You could see
                                > if there is a newer BIOS version for your system, which may let you
                                > partition to a larger drvie, if the firmware addresses that issue or use a
                                > drive manager overlay to get the full size of the drive.

                                Oh man... good point Jim. It's been so long since I had to mess with
                                that nightmare... oh God, I shudder just thinking about having to work
                                with drive overlays and all that mess...

                                --

                                Samuel Goldwyn - "I don't think anyone should write their
                                autobiography until after they're dead." -