Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Saving settings in bootable media

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
      I am posting this to straighten out confusion and not to resolve the
      problem. Persistence is not relevant. He could not upgrade if he was running
      with persistence. He would need to re-do his image file totally from
      scratch.

      You can install a distro without worrying about persistence. Persistence is
      used for people running from an image on a usb stick so that you can make
      changes. This is the way pendrivelinux works. Since the image is fixed you
      need to create user space for any changes which is the way persistence
      works.

      The alternative is to install using the usual method and install it to the
      usb as if it was a hard drive. The trick is that you have to write grub to
      the usb device instead of your hard drive so that grub will be for hd(0,0).
      This way there is no need to make it persistent because it is not running
      from an image as in pendrivelinux.

      It does not matter because he has his system working and wants to know about
      upgrading. Persistence is a red herring since he was not asking an
      installation question. I am only throwing some light on the issue of
      persistence for people thrown off by the suggestion.

      The danger for him is that he will run out of space and his system will lock
      up. He needs temp space for his computer to run smoothly. He can help
      himself out by cleaning up his drive with Computer Janitor, Ubuntu Tweak or
      similar application. Watching multimedia and lots of other activities can
      significantly cut into your head room.

      Roy