Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Firefox problem

  • John Black
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
      Drmgiver wrote:
      > The only problem I have with Opera is that it isn't simple. It reminds
      > me too much of Netscape which just turns me away the second I look at it.
      > Justin

      Mhh, not sure what you mean here. It does come with a bit of extras but
      they don't get in my way.

      I don't use the email client included in Opera and Opera does not try to
      force me to use it. I tried it once but I like Thunderbird so I deleted
      the email accounts and that was it.

      I also don't use the Opera bit torrent support. I use Ktorrent and Opera
      is happy with that.

      The "Speed dial" feature looked kind of useless at first but I use it a
      lot now. I have 20 speed dials and I all my important sites are only one
      click away.

      The rest is like any other browser.

      The one configuration option I am missing is the option to fully
      customize the user agent string. Opera only gives me the ability to
      choose between a few predefined browser strings. With FireFox I can
      browse the web as the Googlebot.

      --
      John
      Wer von seinem Tag nicht zwei Drittel für sich hat, ist ein Sklave.
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
        On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 14:43, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > I'm with the J's (Jeff and John). Opera is good for my needs. In
        > Fedora, and, I believe, Ubuntu, Google's chrome has also become quite
        > usable. Not, unfortunately, in CentOS, due to the fact that Chrome needs
        > some newer lib files, but I believe I saw a bug about it, and it will be
        > fixed.

        I haven't used Opera in ages... since it was 0.x, guess I'll have to
        look at that again. I haven't tried Chrome on linux yet. Meant to
        last night, but got hooked into watching several hours worth of Top
        Gear on the DVR and that basically ate up my night.

        I tried Chrome on windows yesterday though (WinXP SP3) at work and it
        was awesome... for the first couple hours. I did what I normally do,
        browse multiple sites in multiple tabs. Had two windows open, one for
        gmail, somethingawful, facebook and so on, and the other for python
        related stuff for a project I'm working on. After a couple, maybe
        three hours of this, both windows became horribly sluggish.

        On the one hand, the sluggishness in Chrome only extends to the active
        tab. If a tab became unresponsive during an action I could still
        switch to another tab and read that, however, that one too would
        become temporarily unresponsive if I tried to click any links there.
        On the other hand, the only way around this I found was to just kill
        off Chrome and restart. It didn't appear to be eating all the
        processor like FF3 does, and it wasn't killing memory either, at least
        those were looked at using the windows task manager, so I have no idea
        why they just started slowing down like that.

        Cheers,
        Jeff
        --

        Ogden Nash  - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up,
        it's always a cat."
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
          On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 15:05, John Black <spam@...> wrote:

          > No I have not but thank you for a good laugh :)
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek

          I can't remember if, in my boredome, I sent this along, but here ya
          go: Chrysler's revolutionary Turbo Encabulator
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

          And here's the Rockwell Retro Encabulator:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

          A paragon of engineering marvel...

          Cheers
          Jeff

          --

          Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
          myself loving dogs."
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
            I wasn't even aware Chrome was completed for Linux yet, this is
            wonderful news!

            Jusitn

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
              On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 08:45:57PM +0200, John Black wrote:

              > I don't use the email client included in Opera and Opera does not try to
              > force me to use it. I tried it once but I like Thunderbird so I deleted
              > the email accounts and that was it.

              I believe that one can actually speed things up with the -nomail (or
              --nomail) option.

              > I also don't use the Opera bit torrent support. I use Ktorrent and Opera
              > is happy with that.

              Ktorrent? You're using a GUI? Sigh, kids these days. :)
              rtorrnet FTW. Erm, rtorrent, I mean.

              > The "Speed dial" feature looked kind of useless at first but I use it a
              > lot now. I have 20 speed dials and I all my important sites are only one
              > click away.

              Yes, I know. Like you, I always hid it. Now, I find, especially at work,
              I have several of pages in it and it's actually quite useful.

              > The one configuration option I am missing is the option to fully
              > customize the user agent string. Opera only gives me the ability to
              > choose between a few predefined browser strings. With FireFox I can
              > browse the web as the Googlebot.

              Hrrm, didn't people do that to get free access to....oh, never mind.

            • J
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
                On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 15:40, Drmgiver <drmgiver@...> wrote:

                > I wasn't even aware Chrome was completed for Linux yet, this is
                > wonderful news!
                >
                > Jusitn

                Grrr... negative Ghost Rider...

                s/Chrome/Chromium

                --

                Ted Turner  - "Sports is like a war without the killing."
              • John Black
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
                  Scott wrote:
                  > I believe that one can actually speed things up with the -nomail (or
                  > --nomail) option.

                  I'll give this a try but I have not seen ANY slowdowns or freezes which
                  I can blame on the browser.

                  > Ktorrent? You're using a GUI? Sigh, kids these days. :)
                  > rtorrnet FTW. Erm, rtorrent, I mean.

                  Yes, it is easier to keep track of multiple terminal windows this way :)
                  I have never liked Gnome so I have been using KDE on my personal machine
                  most of the time. KDE has always provided me with the tools I need most.
                  I especially like Amarok, the music player. I have it setup that it will
                  resume to play the same track, starting at the same position, after a
                  system shutdown/reboot.

                  >> The one configuration option I am missing is the option to fully
                  >> customize the user agent string. ... With FireFox I can
                  >> browse the web as the Googlebot.
                  > Hrrm, didn't people do that to get free access to....oh, never mind.

                  No idea what you are talking about. I only use this deception for
                  research :)

                  --
                  John
                  Wer weiß, wie Gesetze und Würste zu Stande kommen, kann nachts nicht
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
                    > On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 08:24:58PM +0200, John Black wrote:

                    John gave a link to the medieval tech support video, but I think, that
                    for English speakers, this one is a bit better in translation.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIuFfxg9saE

                    Giles: Alright. I'll just jump into my time machine, go back to
                    the 12th century and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient
                    prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show.
                    Buffy: Okay, at this point you're abusing sarcasm.
                  • Olufowobi Lawal
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 16, 2009
                      Hi all, I need some help.

                      After installing Kubuntu-desktop, I always find it annoying to have to change session everytime at the login prompt. Is there anyway make my deskop permanent to Kubuntu?

                      Also, I get a knocking sound whenever I press buttons in Kubuntu. I have unchecked all sounds in the system settings but still...

                      Thanks for assisting.
                      Linux for Ux.

                    • Roy
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 17, 2009
                        I am assuming that you have more than one desktop environment installed when
                        you use the session manager. Usually when you change sessions it asks you if
                        you want this one to be the default. If it asks this then say 'yes' when it
                        is KDE and 'no' for other desktops. As long as you don't switch it will
                        always be your default desktop environment, which will be the one that you
                        answered 'yes' to.

                        As for the sounds, I have no clue. I have never experienced this. Perhaps
                        you could elaborate and explain how often and duration. I would check the
                        system settings manager under Accessibility. It sounds like you have
                        something turned on that a disabled person would use.

                        BTW, next time tell which version of Kubuntu you are using, 9.04 or 9.10,
                        Jaunty or Karmic and 32 or 64-bit.

                        2009/10/16 Olufowobi Lawal <wolexzo2@...>

                        > Hi all, I need some help.
                        >
                        > After installing Kubuntu-desktop, I always find it annoying to have to
                        > change session everytime at the login prompt. Is there anyway make my deskop
                        > permanent to Kubuntu?
                        >
                        > Also, I get a knocking sound whenever I press buttons in Kubuntu. I have
                        > unchecked all sounds in the system settings but still...
                        >
                        > Thanks for assisting.
                        > Linux for Ux.

                      • Olufowobi Lawal
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                          Thanks for the reply, the version is 32bit, v9.04 and I do have more than one environment, gnome and kde 4.3.

                          Firstly every time when I change session to Kde, It doesn't ask me 'if you want this to be your default session'

                          And about the sound, it occurs when I press Play on Totem, or when there is an Alert Box! or Message Box etc.

                          Sounds like POM!( a drum Beat) and its annoying. In the system settings under System Notification s->Applications->KDE system Notifications; I have disabled all the sound yet I still have this annoying sound. I don't have this sound in gnome so I don't think gnome settings is messing with it (if such a feat is possible).

                          Thanks
                          Lawal. O

                          ________________________________

                          2009/10/16 Olufowobi Lawal <wolexzo2@yahoo. com>

                          > Hi all, I need some help.
                          >
                          > After installing Kubuntu-desktop, I always find it annoying to have to
                          > change session everytime at the login prompt. Is there anyway make my deskop
                          > permanent to Kubuntu?
                          >
                          > Also, I get a knocking sound whenever I press buttons in Kubuntu. I have
                          > unchecked all sounds in the system settings but still...
                          >
                          > Thanks for assisting.
                          > Linux for Ux.

                        • Gary
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                            I don't care how much y'all hate FF3.x, reverting to FF 2.x is a security breach waiting to happen, and the *worst* frakking advice to give someone.

                            As far as the memory leaks go, well, I've just learned to not leave my browser open overnight when I go to sleep, it's fine otherwise. I tend to run into more immediate troubles dealing with script-heavy sites (like yahoo.com)...

                            Opera just doesn't do it for me, it doesn't have the extensions I need or the themes I want.

                            I'm running PCLOS 2009.2 on a 1.8GHz Sempron-based laptop, and never had that autoscrolling problem.

                            Glenn, have you tried starting Firefox in safe mode [code]firefox --safe-mode[/code] and resetting everything? It might even be worth your while to remove/reinstall Firefox from within Synaptic, or even to do a total OS re-install (custom, preserving your /home partition) from a 2009.2 LiveCD, because sometimes glitches and other artifacts get carried forward when one upgrades, drek that gets eliminated by a clean install.

                            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "glenn596658" <glenn596658@...> wrote:

                            > I am using pclinuxos and have been for four years. I have done all the upgrades and keep my system up to date. Since the new Firefox release, 3.5 (currently 3.5.3) I have experienced the screen "auto scrolling" up and down for minuets at a time with no way to stop it short of closing down Firefox and restarting it again.
                          • J
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                              On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 18:51, Gary <xheralt@...> wrote:

                              > I don't care how much y'all hate FF3.x, reverting to FF 2.x is a security breach waiting to happen, and the *worst* frakking advice > to give someone.

                              When's the last time you had a box rooted?

                              Thought so. FWIW, I've run FF 2.x for a very long time on multiple
                              machines, multiple Linux distros and with sometimes very heavy net
                              usage and have never, ever had even one attempted intrusion via a FF
                              exploit, such as there are. The advice is no better, nor worse right
                              now, really, than suggesting someone continue to run a poorly designed
                              browser that continuously suffers from memory leaks and random
                              bugginess. While the chance DOES exist of finding a site that
                              contains exploit code, finding one that targets a FF vulnerability AND
                              has code designed to target a Linux system (as opposed to a site
                              containing exploit code that affects BOTH FF and IE) is on the low end
                              of the risk scale. You're far more likely to find a site containing
                              code that hits an exploit that is generic and affects both FF and IE
                              which targets IE systems. Mostly for the same reason that while Mac
                              OSX exploits exist, you see and hear of very few real instances of
                              such things being used in the wild.

                              > As far as the memory leaks go, well, I've just learned to not leave my browser open overnight when I go to sleep, it's fine
                              > otherwise. I tend to run into more immediate troubles dealing with script-heavy sites (like yahoo.com)...

                              Ahhh... You are a former Windows user, yes? That's the problem that
                              arises from a software company with dominant market share that
                              produces substandard product. Everyone gets into a "Well I can work
                              around the continuous memory leaks and other problems, so it's OK".
                              No, it's not OK. Workarounds are not an acceptable alternative to
                              good design and decision making.

                              > Opera just doesn't do it for me, it doesn't have the extensions I need or the themes I want.

                              Extensions I can appreciate... but Themes? Granted, the FF3 install
                              on my netbook is using themes just because I thought the idea was
                              novel and cute, but is it really necessary to theme EVERYTHING on a
                              system? Just curious, because I never saw the use for themes outside
                              the desktop itself.

                              > I'm running PCLOS 2009.2 on a 1.8GHz Sempron-based laptop, and never had that autoscrolling problem.

                              THAT's important, because honestly, I'd never run into anything like
                              the OP was describing on any FF version ever, and I've run them since
                              FF was still Mozilla and Netscape on various linux distros and
                              kernels... Actually, I take that back, I DID kind of run into
                              something similar on one box, mostly because it had little RAM and
                              continuously swapped back and forth, causing actions to be buffered,
                              so my scrolling turned into an unstoppable autoscroll because so many
                              actions were backed up. More RAM fixed the issue though...

                              > Glenn, have you tried starting Firefox in safe mode [code]firefox --safe-mode[/code] and resetting everything? It might even be
                              > worth your while to remove/reinstall Firefox from within Synaptic, or even to do a total OS re-install (custom, preserving your
                              > /home partition) from a 2009.2 LiveCD, because sometimes glitches and other artifacts get carried forward when one upgrades,
                              > drek that gets eliminated by a clean install.

                              There was a time when I would advise against ANY updating, other than
                              in-version security updates. I would tell people to just do a fresh
                              install any time they wanted a new Major or Minor release (e.g. RH5.1
                              to RH5.2) because of the problems you describe. Now-a-days, the
                              updating is a lot more smooth and usable and does not often result in
                              artifacts and other problems, BUT you are right. Sometimes a fresh
                              install of a new version is the cure... I vote this for the OP ;-)

                              And could you please not top post in the future? :-)

                              Cheers
                              Jeff

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                                The session manager can differ, depending on which one you installed last.
                                Mine is Xubuntu's because I installed XFCE last (intentionally because I
                                like theirs). However, they basically work the same. I am surprised that you
                                are not being asked which is the default session when you switch. I am now
                                using 9.10, but it is basically the same. My 9.04 did ask me.

                                I am wondering how you installed Ubuntu/ Kubuntu. Did you use the real thing
                                or did you install something else such as Ultimate or similar Ubuntu
                                wannabe?

                                As for the sound, it seems that it only occurs in KDE, is that right? If
                                that is the case we can rule out some things such as PulseAudio. I would
                                start by looking at the KDE settings and volume levels. Unfortunately I am
                                in GNOME at the moment. It may be that some setting is causing interference.
                                Do you have anything funky in your system such as more than one sound card
                                that we should know about? I was in KDE all day. Go figure. :(

                                Roy

                                2009/10/22 Olufowobi Lawal <wolexzo2@...>

                                > Thanks for the reply, the version is 32bit, v9.04 and I do have more than
                                > one environment, gnome and kde 4.3.
                                >
                                > Firstly every time when I change session to Kde, It doesn't ask me 'if you
                                > want this to be your default session'
                                >
                                > And about the sound, it occurs when I press Play on Totem, or when there is
                                > an Alert Box! or Message Box etc.
                                >
                                > Sounds like POM!( a drum Beat) and its annoying. In the system settings
                                > under System Notification s->Applications->KDE system Notifications; I have
                                > disabled all the sound yet I still have this annoying sound. I don't have
                                > this sound in gnome so I don't think gnome settings is messing with it (if
                                > such a feat is possible).
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                > Lawal. O
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • Roy
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                                  Have you considered that it is a problem with PCLOS and their implementation
                                  of Firefox? If so, check their forums to see if it turns up there. Sometimes
                                  these things can be resolved with an update. I would also look at your
                                  extensions.

                                  Roy

                                  2009/10/22 J <dreadpiratejeff@...>

> [...]
                                  > > /home partition) from a 2009.2 LiveCD, because sometimes glitches and
                                  > other artifacts get carried forward when one upgrades,
                                  > > drek that gets eliminated by a clean install.
                                  >
                                  > There was a time when I would advise against ANY updating, other than
                                  > in-version security updates. I would tell people to just do a fresh
                                  > install any time they wanted a new Major or Minor release (e.g. RH5.1
                                  > to RH5.2) because of the problems you describe. Now-a-days, the
                                  > updating is a lot more smooth and usable and does not often result in
                                  > artifacts and other problems, BUT you are right. Sometimes a fresh
                                  > install of a new version is the cure... I vote this for the OP ;-)
                                  >
                                  > And could you please not top post in the future? :-)
                                  >
                                  > Cheers
                                  > Jeff
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > Ted Turner - "Sports is like a war without the killing."

                                • Robert C Wittig
                                  • Glenn Sheppard
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 23, 2009
                                      Thanks, I've tried all that with the exception of a fresh clean HD reinstall. It still happens, I check the repositories daily for FF updates so far none have fixed the auto scrolling. It's not constant it happens from time to time in about an hour of browsing I get maybe three incidents which last for 30 sec to 1 min. and occasionally a single auto scroll to the bottom or top of a web page. It's annoying but does not prevent me from using the app. I don't like Opera and Chrome is still in development, I tried it but it has bugs too. I will likely go to it once all the bugs are out. Thanks for all the suggestions and if I don't find a solution shortly I am considering a fresh reinstall. I haven't done one since 2007 which speaks very highly of how stable and user friendly this OS really is. Again, thanks.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 24, 2009
                                        @Jeff -- I will place and frame my replies to a post where *I* choose. I prefer to "top post" because the thoroughly inadequate Y!Groups interface makes doing otherwise more difficult. Also, "top posting" insures that *my* comments appear in the summary of the post in the main thread view, rather than seeing only the first words of the OP over and over and over again. And then seeing the intervening comments again and again. Repetition is a pet peeve of mine.

                                        I also try to frame my replies so that reading the quoted material isn't strictly needed, I include it only for review and verification. You and ALL of the "don't top post" whiners need to effin' GET OVER YOURSELVES. That said, now to the real meat of the commentary, interspersed below for your pleasure.

                                        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

                                        > On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 18:51, Gary <xheralt@...> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > I don't care how much y'all hate FF3.x, reverting to FF 2.x is a security breach waiting to happen, and the *worst* frakking advice > to give someone.
                                        >
                                        > When's the last time you had a box rooted?

                                        You're right, I haven't.

                                        > Thought so. FWIW, I've run FF 2.x for a very long time on multiple
                                        > machines,

                                        And I've been running FF3.x on multiple machines under multiple distros with heavy (public) use, and I've never been rooted. WHAT'S YOUR POINT?

                                        > (...) than suggesting someone continue to run a poorly designed
                                        > browser that continuously suffers from memory leaks and random
                                        > bugginess.

                                        FF2.x was not free of memory leaks, either!

                                        It makes more sense to me that older code (e.g. 2.x) by virtue of having been exposed longer would have more exploits developed against it. How does this make 2.x better than 3.x?

                                        > Ahhh... You are a former Windows user, yes?

                                        So what if I am? Granted I've only been using Linux (exclusively) for about three years, an eyeblink from your lofty perspective, don't look down your effin' nose at me! And I'll admit I'm fairly dependant on GUI, with only occasional excursions into commandline magic-working. That doesn't make me a bad person.

                                        > That's the problem that
                                        > arises from a software company with dominant market share that
                                        > produces substandard product.

                                        So, let me get this straight -- you're equating the Mozilla Foundation with M$?!!!

                                        > Extensions I can appreciate... but Themes?

                                        Again with the looking-down-the-nose. *sigh* Bad habit of yours, friend. So what if I get tired of looking at the same old buttons all the time? So what if I happen to appreciate aesthetics? One of the things that sold me on Linux was that I could change the colorations of the panels at will without downloading (and registering online) for 3rd-party software like WindowBlinds! I pity your bland, colorless, always-the-same existence.

                                        > > I'm running PCLOS 2009.2 on a 1.8GHz Sempron-based laptop, and never had that autoscrolling problem.
                                        > >

                                        > THAT's important, because honestly, I'd never run into anything like
                                        > the OP was describing on any FF version ever...

                                        My laptop has only 384MB. Yes, that's MEG. One-tenth of what V!$+a requires. I've run FF under XFCE-based distros with as little as 192MB with no problems, such as what the OP had.

                                        > BUT you are right. Sometimes a fresh
                                        > install of a new version is the cure... I vote this for the OP ;-)

                                        Well, at least we agree on SOMETHING...
                                      • Drmgiver
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 24, 2009
                                          Don't worry Gary, the better Linux gets, the quicker the elitists will
                                          climb back under their rock. Until then, it is best not to feed the trolls.

                                          Justin

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 24, 2009
                                            Drmgiver wrote:
                                            > Don't worry Gary, the better Linux gets, the quicker the elitists will
                                            > climb back under their rock. Until then, it is best not to feed the trolls.
                                            > Justin

                                            There is a difference between trolling and pointing out what established
                                            communication standards are.
                                            When you write a letter you will write the address onto the designated
                                            area, not where you feel like it today.

                                            Go ahead and top post all you want but I guarantee you that people who
                                            could answer one of your question will ignore you because you feel like
                                            you have to ignore established standards.
                                            If you don't have the time to cut down a reply to the relevant parts,
                                            then why should others take the extra time to filter out the relevant
                                            portions.

                                            The only thing you might accomplish is that the more knowledgeable
                                            people will move to other services.

                                            --
                                            John
                                          • Drmgiver
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 24, 2009
                                              Or the people who want answers to their questions will move to other
                                              services where they don't have to play a game of scavenger hunt to find
                                              answers relevant their question, the answer to their question is right
                                              there on top where they can see it. Regardless, there are people in
                                              this group who do have answers and are not elitists. Your not better
                                              than everyone else because you have run Linux longer. The very premise
                                              of "open source", is that it is available to everyone not just elitist
                                              creeps like you. Unfortunately the premise of "open source" also means
                                              that it happens to be available to elitist creeps like you, but I don't
                                              truly believe you are in the majority any longer. Much as newbies
                                              around here would get that idea based on how some people act. Go find
                                              your rock.

                                              Justin