Re: Linux Capable Printers

  • loyal_barber
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "majorridge67" <majorridge67@...> wrote:

      > Help! I need a good printer available in the American market that will work on Ubuntu that won't break a college guys budget. Any suggestions?

      I have had excellent luck and service from the Brother wired/wireless
      network printers. I think the current version is something like HL-
      2170W. Anyway, the one I have used the most plugs to my wired
      network directly and EVERY flavor of Linux I have used recognizes it
      immediately. Brother also makes basically the same printer that is just
      a USB model. Newegg had the USB model for $75 and the networked
      model for $140. I personally am not a fan of ink jets because of
      years of frustration with drying out, colors running etc.

      Loyal
    • riceguy1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
        HP photosmart worked out of the box as well as a HP750 (print/scan/copy) when I was using a demo disk on my wife's machine. If the store wants to sell to you they should be willing to also boot up a demo disk and test the print command.
        In my earlier days with a DOS/win 3.1 based lab graphics program I found that writing drivers was mainly finding out how many dots per pass of the print head on new hardware. A lot of the dot patterns were the same.

        Kohlwey

        > Help! I need a good printer available in the American market that will
        > work on Ubuntu that won't break a college guys budget. Any suggestions?

        Epson Stylus C62 works fine.

        Liberty University Online
        Earn a bachelors degree online in Nursing. Get free info now!
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=Ln6vMDJO2iDnoHmmPI3JeAAAJ1BM_GTR20178u0DJeCcAg4iAAQAAAAFAAAAADMzcz4AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABSGmAAAAAA=
      • loyal_barber
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2009
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "majorridge67" <majorridge67@...> wrote:

          > Help! I need a good printer available in the American market that will work on Ubuntu that won't break a college guys budget. Any suggestions?

          Please let us know what you finally get and how it works for you.

          Thanks,
          Loyal