Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu to Mint

  • Emil Payne
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 6 2:10 PM
      Linux Cancan wrote:

      > Most sound problems in Ubuntu and Fedora and a host of other distros can
      > be fixed by using ALSA which is in the repositories, but is not the
      > default sound engine. I have never had a sound issue with Ubuntu or
      > Fedora, but people with different hardware have them all of the time. It
      > is a question of certain hardware not playing well with PulseAudio, the
      > default sound engine for Ubuntu. Get rid of PulseAudio and the problems
      > usually go away. Why use PA? It works for most people and it supposedly
      > is better.
      >
      > I am not sure what sound engine Mint uses, but installing another distro
      > is a drastic solution to a simple and common problem.
      >
      > Roy

      Another dead lead. I removed pulse audio and installed Alsa and became
      a member of an Alsa list. All to no avail.

      But that is behind me and I am happy now. Like I said, I still prefer
      regular Ubuntu, but I have no problems using Mint for the sound.

      Emil
    • xheralt
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6 2:51 PM
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Drmgiver <drmgiver@...> wrote:

        > Hey thanks! Based on that I think I would have to stick with Ubuntu.
        > If I may, you caught my curiosity, is it just a "flavor of the week"
        > type of thing, or do you have different uses for going back and forth
        > between gnome and KDE?
        >
        > Justin

        Even under Gnome distros, I greatly preferred K3b for CD/DVD burning over Brasero, or whatever other burning app the distro offered. Gnome tends to reinvent the wheel with every different distro, whereas everything is in one place with KDE. At least one only has to install certain necessary pieces from the environment not in use to utilize apps from it, rather then the whole thing. There are Gnome apps I like too, GKrellim for one -- KSensors isn't very clever about how one re-arranges or resizes its own window.

        Gnome vs. KDE goes back as far as Linux itself, at least now partisans of a given side aren't quite as strident as they used to be. Usually. While I do have a clear preference, I grant the going the other way may work better for some people, so the best advice is, try both for yourself and see what you like!
      • Linux Canuck
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6 5:47 PM
          Make sure that you have a newer computer though and be prepared to devote lots of time to downloading and compiling. This is one large distribution! The download is slow at the best of times and it runs from a full DVD. Sometimes it takes me days just to get the ISO.

          It is a well thought out and gorgeous distro, but it isn't for every one. Not only is the installation large (16GBs) , but it is based on Gentoo. You can use pre-compiled packages, but that defeats the purpose of using Gentoo which is to optimize your computer. However try to compile OpenOffice. Expect to tie up your comnputer for a day or more. Not everyone has the time or patience. I know that I don't.

          If you do have the time and patience then Sabayon is an excellent intro into the Gentoo world. It uses KDE, not Gnome and it is slick and as good looking as they come. This is all at a price. You need a fast processor and lots of RAM. Although this may sound critical, it isn't meant to be. I love it. Just be forewarned. There is a rather steep learning curve, if you have never used Gentoo. Sabayon smooths it out some, but it is still very different from what most people are used to.

          It may not be a breath of fresh air so much as breathing new life into the moribund Gentoo line of distros.

          Roy

          Linux: Fast, friendly, flexible and .... free!
          Support Open source.
          <*,)}}+<
          Only dead fish go with the flow!
          Follow LinuxCanuck on Twitter or Identi.ca for latest news.