Re: Thinking about Linux

  • xheralt
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2009
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "maherfan89" <maherfan89@...> wrote:

      > I am thinking about switching to Linux because I am sick of Microsoft. But I
      > have a few reservations.
      >
      > Number one, it looks like it takes some expertise to run Linux. Is that true, or
      > is it easy to use once it's installed? I could find some help installing it.
      >
      > I also want to know if I would have trouble when visiting Microsoft sites,
      > because my email is run through Outlook online, and I cannot change it right
      > now.
      >
      > Would I be able to port over all my music, movies, files, and my bookmarks in
      > Firefox?
      It's easy to use once installed. Installation isn't hard either, unless you want to do something creative like a dual-boot. It will be far easier to preserve your personal stuff for porting if you have a second hard drive to work with. And yes, you can port everything. The Firefox bookmarks would be easiest to do via the Xmarks extension/web service. While Linux LiveCD's will let you non-destructively resize partitions, and you can switch a single drive over from FAT32 to ext3 by transferring your data piecemeal (I have!), such is time-consuming, and there are always inherent risks to such operations.

      Most of the time, Linux will "just work", expertise (or help forums) are only needed when it doesn't -- but the same can be said of Windows, witness the the Vista rollout. You'll have to get used to some differences, like directory structure and notation, and the multiple meanings of "root" ("/" vs. "/root" vs. admin)
    • Glenn Sheppard
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2009
        I have been using linux for almost three years with no issues. I tried the live cd's first. then I removed the hard drive with windows from my computer and bought a cheap one to try linux. I went all the way, no dual boot, and when I was satisfied that linux was for me I reinstalled my old drive as a slave and transferred all my data files, music, videos, etc and have not used windows since. Personally, I have not noticed any user interface difference at all. The computer is more stable, (not sure that I have HAD to reboot once in three years. I turn off my computer sometimes when I'm away for a few days but no freeze ups.) more secure, and much faster than it was with windows. I can't say that linux is right for everyone but I can say that I am quite happy with it.