Re: Hard drive space

  • xheralt
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2009
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "maherfan89" <maherfan89@...> wrote:
      > Okay, I'm starting to feel like I'm spamming the board, but I'm ready to make the switch. I've found out everything I need to know about programs for now.
      > I downloaded Ubuntu to my flash drive, but I cannot run it from there. So I need to partition my HD. I'm pretty sure I can do that, but I'm trying to figure out how much space to save for it. The OS takes about 2gb, but then I have almost 30gb of music, 2 gigs of documents, 7 gigs of pics and videos, and need room for add-ons, extra programs, etc. Do I need to add up all the gigs I have and might want to partition off for Ubuntu until I'm ready to uninstall all the Windows Vista stuff? I know that getting rid of the Microsoft stuff will open up a lot of HD space, but I want to make sure everything is working on Linux before dumping MS.
      I've found that peeling off about 7 gig from a Windows-only harddrive for your Linux OS ("root") partition generally leaves plenty of room for temp files and future development. Your separate /home partition can be as much room as you can spare, no need to go whole hog and match your ~40GB existing data space, unless you've got a large enough drive to acommodate it. Linux has a much easier time reaching into Windows partitions, read or read/write, than the reverse, so you could leave everything where it is until you're comfortable with Linux.

      With current partitioning tools, you can non-destructively resize your partitions in stages. This allows you to maintain a functioning dual-boot as long as you want, while you reallocate your drive resources.

      If you're strapped for drive capacity, you can move a few gig at a time out of the Windows partition until Linux-side is full, shrink the Windows partition, add the freed space to Linux-side, rinse, repeat. I did that juggle with a 75% full 80GB hd, that started out 60G/20G XP/Linux, then went 50-50, and now it's dedicated Linux. Didn't lose anything in the process, but I did a copy-verify-then-delete-original cycle rather than a straight "move".

      If you're expecting to do that juggle yourself, have your /home and Windows partitions adjacent! This means doing a "Custom" partitioning setup during your Linux install. Don't fret, the usual graphical partitioning tool of choice, GParted, is easy to work with. Windows will need to be hda1 (or sda1, depending on how your Linux calls it), so make your /home as ?da2, root at ?da3 (or higher, if in extended partition),swap at (root+1). Having Windows and /home in primary partitions makes it easier to exchange blocks between them if (or as) you phase Windows out. GRUB (or LILO) can find your Linux root *anywhere*, there's a famous case of a guy who multi-booted (IIRC) 143 different OS's on a single machine (including several different Windows versions, W95 through XP), google the documentation of that feat yourself.