Re: Top posting controversy - again?!!

  • David Neeley
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
      "I must be right because the mods haven't stopped me?" What kind of ridiculousness is this?

      Those of you arguing about such pettiness--don't you have anything better to do?

      Personally, I use Linux fairly constantly, but not often in a terribly technical mode. I read the list sporadically, and if there is a question I actually may know something about, I respond. I may also from time to time ask a question.

      However, I have far too many better things to do than to engage in trivial pursuits such as this.

      I have been a list owner or moderator for many years--presently down to moderating only two. A list I started and owned for four years had 18,000 members and at one time during my tenure it had between two and four hundred posts per day. The more active list I moderate now has only about 25 to 30 posts on an average day...so I have had at least some experience with all this many times.

      That means I simply don't care for the pettiness and name calling over inconsequential crap. Life is just too short.

      If the goal of you folks who just can't restrain yourselves from this childishness is to run many people off the list, continue doing what you've been doing.

      If your goal is to actually try to build a useful community, then for God's sake stop the juvenile behavior and act like adults for a change.

      David
    • Alex Baker
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
        Personally, for me it depends on the situation, and the original
        message has been replied to, and I have been part of the conversation,
        I tend to top post. The gist of the converstation has been read and
        reread several times. How many times does one need to read a message
        to understand it? In those cases a reader can scroll down to get the
        original content if they need it. The rule is an archaic one from the
        days before scroll rollers, and slider bars. Much like some mailing
        lists that one want straight text, because someone is using a 20 year
        old mail reader that can't handle hyper text.

        If a person prefers one or the other, great. Do it that way. What is
        important to me is your insight and knowledge. Not where you put it.
        If you prefer to bottom post, I'll probably scroll down and find it.
        Put it in the middle, that's fine. Whatever, but I'm not going to
        have a screaming hissy-fit meltdown over it.

        On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Gary<xheralt@...> wrote:

        > People in the "stop servies via telnet" thread have been getting
        > unacceptably rude to each other, and certain adherents of the no-top-posting
        > "rule" are taking the lack of action by any mods as tacit approval for their
        > bad attitudes. Consider, people, how d*mn few mods (and fewer ACTIVE mods)
        > this Y!Group actually has -- and how hands-off they usually are. Because we
        > are *usually* civilized to each other. Statements like "I'm right because
        > the mod hasn't intervened" serve no purpose but making one look like a total
        > fool.
        >
        > To those who want to claim they're just standing up for "The Rules"? Look at
        > the phrasing of the netiquette text in our Files section, it only says this
        > is how "most" forums do it, never specifying (except through implication by
        > its very presence) that it is The Rule for THIS forum.
        >
        > Besides, it's a stupid and petty rule anyway. I feel sorry for anyone who
        > feels it's beneath them to actually use scrolling controls on their screens.
        >
        > This Y!Group sucks for general use, because of the primitiveness of the
        > default editing controls, and the inconsistency of the "advanced" rich-text
        > editing available in the web interface. If someone takes the path of least
        > resistance and top-posts, it's NOT the end of the frakkin' world, and people
        > need to realize that!

        Oh look, I top posted... I feel so... so... so... FREE!

        For those of you with the OCD, you know whom you are, as you really
        want to flame the top posting here. (Or did you not get this far
        because you assume I only top posted... :-)

        You really should see someone about that. Your life, and your
        internet experience, will be happier.