Master Boot Record

  • Peter Meyns
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hi there,
      I'm new to this list, and I hope I found the right place.
      I installed SuSE Linux 7.0 some time ago. As I didn't know much about
      Linux at that time (this is not meant to express that I actually know
      much about Linux _now_ ...) I allowed it to install LILO to the MBR.
      As I still need to use Windows, I'd rather like to start Linux from a diskette
      than from my hard drive. How can I remove LILO from my MBR?
      Have a good time everyone :-)
      Peter
      --
      PGP-Key: http://www.meynsweb.com/public-key.txt
    • Black Dew
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
          Hi Black Dew,

          on Sunday, April 01, 2001 at 21:00 (my local time) you pointed out:

          BD> Ok, get a windows boot floppie (either rescue or just a boot flopie and add fdisk.exe to it) now boot from it and run:

          BD> fdisk /mbr

          BD> This feature is undocumented but should work fine.

          Thanks a lot. I used a previous boot disk and fdisk /mbr did exactly
          what I wanted! :o))
          Thank you for your help.

          Cheers
          Peter
          --
          PGP-Key: http://www.meynsweb.com/public-key.txt
        • Paul Pring
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2001
            Another way to uninstall LILO is to use LILO itself as follows:

            /sbin/lilo -u

            LILO replaces the MBR from a saved copy of the old boot sector, which LILO saves when you first install LILO.

            This is a bit more tricky as obviously the older MBR may not be bootable.  You can always remedy this by using the fdisk /mbr command.

            Paul
            University of Cambridge
            Ok, get a windows boot floppie (either rescue or just a boot flopie and add fdisk.exe to it) now boot from it and run:

            fdisk /mbr

            This feature is undocumented but should work fine.

            Also i would suggest you using a boot manager instead of booting from floppies, i'm personally using System Commander from VComm it's pretty cool but not free (if you care).

            Oh yea, if you replace the mbr, install lilo on the linux partition and maybe copy your kernel to a disk in case somthing goes wrong.

            BlackDew

            If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

            If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, please return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply facility on e-mail.

            Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.

            MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not guarantee that this email is virus free.

          • Peter Meyns
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2001
              Hi Paul,
              thanks for your note.
              On Tuesday, April 03, 2001 at 11:40 (my local time) you pointed out:

              PP> Another way to uninstall LILO is to use LILO itself as follows:

              PP> /sbin/lilo -u

              PP> LILO replaces the MBR from a saved copy of the old boot sector, which LILO
              PP> saves when you first install LILO.

              PP> This is a bit more tricky as obviously the older MBR may not be bootable.
              PP> You can always remedy this by using the fdisk /mbr command.

              I was sure that Linux would provide a way of doing this. And I'm a
              grateful learner. *s*
              But as MS-DOS is (yet) more familiar to me, I used fdisk /mbr along
              with an emergency boot disk that I had created before Linux was installed.
              It worked out fine! :o)

              Have a fine day!
              Peter
              --
              PGP-Key: http://www.meynsweb.com/public-key.txt
            • w6lqr@juno.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 21, 2001
                I know that for Windoze you can use "fdisk /mbr" to restore the Master
                Boot Record if it gets corrupted but what is the equivalent function for
                Linux ? How can I restore Lilo to the MBR short of reloading Linux ?

                Thanks, Jerry
                w6lqr@...
              • Brian L. Johnson
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 21, 2001