Re: older machines craving new life

  • P Sgrignuoli
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hello
      I will be working on all the advice later today, and will inform of results.
      Thanks again,

      Pat
      ps, by the way, Pat is short for Patricia...100% female and proud of it;)

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "David Neeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:

      > Unless I misremember, the gentleman was having problems with Puppy.
      >
      > There are others that would be worth trying as well, such as the distribution based on Enlightenment--S16? S17? Something like that. I am told it can get considerable graphic "eye candy" on limited gear.
      >
      > David
      >

      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "engagedswitch" <engagedswitch@> wrote:
      > >
      > > hello there how is everyone today?? fine here.
      > > i am also a fan of the buntus myself but, if xubuntu still runs a little too slow for him than he may want to try puppy linux or knoppix. out of the two i just named i would recommend puppy linux over knoppix just out overall ease of use. knoppix can be installed on to a hard drive but the install is a little tedious and requires quite a bit more knowledge about linux than puppy. with the puppy the main thing you have to remember is telling to install grub to the mbr if you want to boot you want your computer to boot into puppy linux at start-up.
      > > i hope this helps you out.
      > > have fun and enjoy.
      > > jeremy
      > >

      > > p.s. dsl would also make a good choice for this computer. just dont use it if you still dont know much about linux
      > >

      > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kemp <wb7ooe@> wrote:

      > > > This computer is only used to show what can be done with older
      > > > equipment. I selected Ubuntu because it is not lightweight. I have 4
      > > > other computers mostly running Ubuntu that are more modern.
      > > > Bruce

    • David Neeley
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 2, 2009
        As we used to say in Texas "Sorry, Ma'am!|

        ("Used to say" because these days I live in Ukraine...)

        I wish more women were "100% female and proud of it" since so many seem unclear on the concept...

        David

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "P Sgrignuoli" <raven11222002@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        > I will be working on all the advice later today, and will inform of results.
        > Thanks again,
        >
        > Pat
        > ps, by the way, Pat is short for Patricia...100% female and proud of it;)
      • Gary
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 2, 2009
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:

          > Ubuntu will, guaranteed, be too resource-intensive for his "older" machine. Even Xubuntu gets weighted down by it's clunky underpinnings, compared to other XFCE-based distros, in my experience.

          I see from a post down-thread that our questioner is actually female -- I apologize for using the wrong pronoun.
        • P Sgrignuoli
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5, 2009
            What can I say, this used to drive my mom crazy...it's understandable and all is forgiven.
            As I stated early I will try the suggestions...had an emergency to deal with this past week...since things are starting to calm down I should be able to get back to work.

            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@...> wrote:

            > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Ubuntu will, guaranteed, be too resource-intensive for his "older" machine. Even Xubuntu gets weighted down by it's clunky underpinnings, compared to other XFCE-based distros, in my experience.
            >
            > I see from a post down-thread that our questioner is actually female -- I apologize for using the wrong pronoun.

          • paw9230
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 12, 2009
              Hi all, I have a new profile, same lovable truckrwolf...I still have all the old units, just now trying to get moved and set up a real computer lab...mama loves her toys... just installed opensolaris on the laptop, so far so good. The new language and structure is all Greek to this old geek.
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "P Sgrignuoli" <raven11222002@...> wrote:

              > What can I say, this used to drive my mom crazy...it's understandable and all is forgiven.
              > As I stated early I will try the suggestions...had an emergency to deal with this past week...since things are starting to calm down I should be able to get back to work.
              >
              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <xheralt@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Ubuntu will, guaranteed, be too resource-intensive for his "older" machine. Even Xubuntu gets weighted down by it's clunky underpinnings, compared to other XFCE-based distros, in my experience.
              > >
              > > I see from a post down-thread that our questioner is actually female -- I apologize for using the wrong pronoun.

            • Robert C Wittig